BDE does not work with MS SQL-Server 7

Hi There,

I'm trying to connect to a MS SQL Server 7 with the BDE 5.11. Connecting
goes fine, but viewing a table is not possible. The dbexplorer says:
'property rowpage does not exist'.

What is wrong here?
Does anyone have some experience with SQl Server 7 and troubles?

TIA

Rob van der Leer

Re:BDE does not work with MS SQL-Server 7

OK, I figured it out, but it's a real gotcha.  There are TWO versions
of the SQL Server ODBC driver.  The first one is Version 4.  This is
the one that gives erroneous answers from MS-SQL 7; it's supplied by
Microsoft in many of its own products.  Interestingly, there is a
Version 5 in what appears to be the exact same DLL for ODBC
connection.  So if you use the ODBC Administrator and create a NEW
System DSN it will automaticly create it as a Version 5 type DSN.  Then
when you creat an alias in the BDE you reference this DSN and it will
create an alias of type Version 5.  This one works!  It took me a week
of going back and forth with Win 95, Win NT, and Windows 2000 to
finally figure this out.  Thanks Humongosoft for making it so easy...

NoaH

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Re:BDE does not work with MS SQL-Server 7

Hi NoaH!

Where did you find the Version 5?

Regards
Frank

> OK, I figured it out, but it's a real gotcha.  There are TWO versions
> of the SQL Server ODBC driver.  The first one is Version 4.  This is
> the one that gives erroneous answers from MS-SQL 7; it's supplied by
> Microsoft in many of its own products.  Interestingly, there is a
> Version 5 in what appears to be the exact same DLL for ODBC
> connection.  So if you use the ODBC Administrator and create a NEW
> System DSN it will automaticly create it as a Version 5 type DSN.  Then
> when you creat an alias in the BDE you reference this DSN and it will
> create an alias of type Version 5.  This one works!

Other Threads