Will Delphi 1.0 program be able to access databases made in delphi 2.0

I have a program written in Delphi 3.0 which need to update Delphi 2.0
tables.  I was going to port my Delphi 3.0 program to Delphi 2.0 but I  do
not have a copy of Delphi 2 anymore. Can I use Delphi 1.0 to compile the new
program  and run it without changing the database engine?

I am currently gettin an error ('different engine version')  when I try to
use it on database created with  version 2.0.

Re:Will Delphi 1.0 program be able to access databases made in delphi 2.0

A D2 app should be able to use the BDE that came with D3.  Neither can use
the D1 BDE which is 16-bit.

Paul / ColumbuSoft
www.columbusoft.com

josh <joshua.h...@goldmanmarcus.com> wrote in message

> I have a program written in Delphi 3.0 which need to update Delphi 2.0
> tables.  I was going to port my Delphi 3.0 program to Delphi 2.0 but I  do
> not have a copy of Delphi 2 anymore. Can I use Delphi 1.0 to compile the
new
> program  and run it without changing the database engine?

> I am currently gettin an error ('different engine version')  when I try to
> use it on database created with  version 2.0.

Re:Will Delphi 1.0 program be able to access databases made in delphi 2.0

I tried that and I am getting error which say incorrect version.
Paul Ferrara <p...@nospam.columbusoft.com> wrote in message

> A D2 app should be able to use the BDE that came with D3.  Neither can use
> the D1 BDE which is 16-bit.

> Paul / ColumbuSoft
> www.columbusoft.com

> josh <joshua.h...@goldmanmarcus.com> wrote in message
> > I have a program written in Delphi 3.0 which need to update Delphi 2.0
> > tables.  I was going to port my Delphi 3.0 program to Delphi 2.0 but I
do
> > not have a copy of Delphi 2 anymore. Can I use Delphi 1.0 to compile the
> new
> > program  and run it without changing the database engine?

> > I am currently gettin an error ('different engine version')  when I try
> > use it on database created with  version 2.0.

Re:Will Delphi 1.0 program be able to access databases made in delphi 2.0

What database are you using? Your D3 program should work fine against the
tables created by D2. The engine version error is because the machine you
are trying to run the D3 app on has an older version of the BDE. Update it
to the version that came with D3 or any later version and it should work.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Will Delphi 1.0 program be able to access databases made in delphi 2.0

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:53:44 -0500, "josh"

<joshua.h...@goldmanmarcus.com> wrote:
>I have a program written in Delphi 3.0 which need to update Delphi 2.0
>tables.  I was going to port my Delphi 3.0 program to Delphi 2.0 but I  do
>not have a copy of Delphi 2 anymore. Can I use Delphi 1.0 to compile the new
>program  and run it without changing the database engine?

Your question is a little confusing. You start off talking about
porting a D3 app to D2 (not the direction to normally port an app),
but you finish up by asking if you can use D1. Delphi 2 and above are
32-bit applications and produce 32-bit apps. D1 is 16-bit. D1 can not
use the 32-bit BDE that comes with D2 and above; it must use the
16-bit BDE.

In general, a D1 app should be able to read tables created by D2 and
above, but there will be exceptions. If you use a table language
driver that is available in the 32-bit BDE, but is not available in
the 16-bit BDE, you're out of luck. Same problem if you use a table
version beyond level 5.

Also, you don't want a 16-bit app and 32-bit app accessing the same
tables at the same time. The BDE will not be able to handle table and
record locking correctly, since the 2 different BDEs will be unaware
of each other.

>I am currently gettin an error ('different engine version')  when I try to
>use it on database created with  version 2.0.

That is the error that you typically get when you try to use a BDE
version that predates the version of Delphi. IOW, if you use Delphi 3
with the BDE from Delphi 2, you will get that error. Note that Delphi
can use _later_ versions of the BDE, so D2 can use the BDE that comes
with D3, D4, ...

Rich

Re:Will Delphi 1.0 program be able to access databases made in delphi 2.0

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000 15:03:17 -0500, "josh"

<joshua.h...@goldmanmarcus.com> wrote:
>I tried that and I am getting error which say incorrect version.

What version of the BDE is installed on the computer? (Look at the
timestamp of the BDE system DLLs.) What version of Delphi are you
using when the error occurs?

That error is only associated with trying to use too old a version of
the BDE with too recent a version of Delphi. It should never occur
when using a newer 32-bit BDE with an older 32-bit Delphi.

Steve Koterski
Technical Publications
Borland

Other Threads