HELP: MS Access 97 & Delphi 3

Dear Gurus...(I'm bowing down to anyone who can answer this)

Ok, TTables and Desktop Database tables are no brainers...slap them on
the form, do the properties thing, and data magically appears in the
dbgrid.

But our customers want MS Access 97 databases (*.mdb) with their Delphi
app.  Could someone "hold my hand" through this frustrating process of
getting Delphi to connect with MS Access 97!  I drop my table, database,
etc, components on the form and try to connect and get a prompt to log
in and give a password to connect to any MS Access 97 database!  What is
that?  Do I have to register the Access DB with BDE?  Could someone give
me a step-by-step process on how to connect to MS Access?  I've searched
the newsgroups and it appears I'm not the only one with this problem!
Thanks in advance!

Re:HELP: MS Access 97 & Delphi 3

In article <34350D83.2...@altechcontrols.com>,

mark barry <mba...@altechcontrols.com> wrote:
>Dear Gurus...(I'm bowing down to anyone who can answer this)

>Ok, TTables and Desktop Database tables are no brainers...slap them on
>the form, do the properties thing, and data magically appears in the
>dbgrid.

>But our customers want MS Access 97 databases (*.mdb) with their Delphi
>app.  Could someone "hold my hand" through this frustrating process of
>getting Delphi to connect with MS Access 97!  I drop my table, database,
>etc, components on the form and try to connect and get a prompt to log
>in and give a password to connect to any MS Access 97 database!  What is
>that?  Do I have to register the Access DB with BDE?  Could someone give
>me a step-by-step process on how to connect to MS Access?  I've searched
>the newsgroups and it appears I'm not the only one with this problem!
>Thanks in advance!

I thought Delphi's native drivers didn't work with Access 97. Maybe that
has changed with v 3.01? Or maybe I'm totally wrong?
If not, you have to use some other tools, like ODBC.
Or a tool like DAOConnect, which AFAIK is using all the Access engine
files directly, and thus it should work with any version of Access, as long
as you have Access installed.
I used JETset (which I believe has changed name to DAOconnect) with
Access97 and Delphi2, and that worked without a problem :-) Except for the
problems I had with Access itself..

--
|| Bjorn K. Nilssen      // http://home.sn.no/~bjoernk/  // mainly 3D ||

Re:HELP: MS Access 97 & Delphi 3

I forgot to mention that you should use only TQueries instead of TTables
with Access97 and ODBC. The TTables are converted into Queries and so
you loose some efficiency

--
Bernhard Cotton
Johny5 Computer Services

Re:HELP: MS Access 97 & Delphi 3

mark barry wrote:
> Dear Gurus...(I'm bowing down to anyone who can answer this)

> Ok, TTables and Desktop Database tables are no brainers...slap them on

> the form, do the properties thing, and data magically appears in the
> dbgrid.

> But our customers want MS Access 97 databases (*.mdb) with their
> Delphi
> app.  Could someone "hold my hand" through this frustrating process of

> getting Delphi to connect with MS Access 97!  I drop my table,
> database,
> etc, components on the form and try to connect and get a prompt to log

> in and give a password to connect to any MS Access 97 database!  What
> is
> that?  Do I have to register the Access DB with BDE?  Could someone
> give
> me a step-by-step process on how to connect to MS Access?  I've
> searched
> the newsgroups and it appears I'm not the only one with this problem!
> Thanks in advance!

  I use ODBC to connect to access 97. the odbc Admin manager and data
access pack are available from Microsoft.

    You only have to use the ODBCAdmin32 program to set up an ODBC Alias
then point your Tdatabase directly at this alias. It is also quite easy
to distribute these programs. No need to set up any Alias with the DBE

    But you will need Access97 to create the database its self.

Need more help just Email direct.

--
Bernhard Cotton
Johny5 Computer Services

Re:HELP: MS Access 97 & Delphi 3

There seems to be some confusion over whether the driver works with
Access97. The documentation states that it only works with Access95 but I
have connected to Access97 databases without problems (although I've only
needed to read, not write).

As far as the log-in prompt goes, one (maybe the only) way of getting rid
of this is to use the database component and connect through that after
setting the database Log-in property to False.

------
Paul

Bjorn-Kare Nilssen <bjoe...@sn.no> wrote in article
<8tXN0gmCgEJT09...@sn.no>...

> In article <34350D83.2...@altechcontrols.com>,
> mark barry <mba...@altechcontrols.com> wrote:

...try to connect and get a prompt to log
> >in and give a password to connect to any MS Access 97 database!  What is
> >that?

> I thought Delphi's native drivers didn't work with Access 97. Maybe that
> has changed with v 3.01? Or maybe I'm totally wrong?

Other Threads