Board index » delphi » What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

I must be really stupid.

I just installed Delphi Pro 3.01 and the 3.02 Patch. Then I re-built my earlier
applications, which I wrote using Delphi Pro 3.00. I received no messages from
the compiler complaining about my code.

However, now when I am building a project some of the code will not generate
the Code Insight prompts and when I attempt to compile, it tells me something
like "Undeclared Identifier: ' ShellExecuteEx'", or "Undeclared Identifier:
'ShellExecute'", etc.  

Did I{*word*222}up the install?

 I would appreciate any help in getting back up and running.

Bill Burt, Jr.
BBur...@AOL.COM

 

Re:What am I doing wrong?


Quote
BBurtjr <bbur...@aol.com> wrote:

: I must be really stupid.

: I just installed Delphi Pro 3.01 and the 3.02 Patch. Then I re-built my earlier
: applications, which I wrote using Delphi Pro 3.00. I received no messages from
: the compiler complaining about my code.

: However, now when I am building a project some of the code will not generate
: the Code Insight prompts and when I attempt to compile, it tells me something
: like "Undeclared Identifier: ' ShellExecuteEx'", or "Undeclared Identifier:
: 'ShellExecute'", etc.  

: Did I{*word*222}up the install?

:  I would appreciate any help in getting back up and running.

: Bill Burt, Jr.
: BBur...@AOL.COM

Seems like your project no longer contsains the unit which contains
ShellExecute, I believe it's in ShellAPI, add that to your uses clause and
it should work, if it doesn't work, try to find which unit DOES contain them
(going through some sources should do it)

HTH

Roel

Re:What am I doing wrong?


Quote
In article <6cjd9q$...@turtle.stack.nl>, Roel Spapens <ro...@stack.nl> writes:
>Seems like your project no longer contsains the unit which contains
>ShellExecute, I believe it's in ShellAPI, add that to your uses clause and
>it should work, if it doesn't work, try to find which unit DOES contain them
>(going through some sources should do it)

>HTH

When I said, "I must be really stupid.", I was right!!!!

My programs didn't contain ShellAPI because I had been using WinExec and am
changing it to ShellExecute to allow me greater future viability. I added it to
my uses clause, and voila! I can get the Code Insight, AND even better, it
compiles.

I kind of thought that might be the problem, but when I went to the D3 help, it
did not tell me what DCU contained the ShellExecute (etc.) routines. For us
dummies, they ought to tell us this is in ShellAPI or Windows, or whatever.
Maybe they do and I just haven't figured out how to find it. It doesn't seem to
be a part of the help information. I also assumed (and you know what that
means) that D3 was supposed to automatically pull into uses, the necessary
units--if they were "factory" rather than mine. Oh well, I learn something new
about Delphi EVERYDAY.

Thanks again,
B.

Bill Burt, Jr.
BBur...@AOL.COM

Other Threads