WISE installer Price tag? Yikes!?

From reading the articles in the group I decided to look-up the Wise
installer and was impressed until I saw the price tag.  $199 + tax +
shipping?

Ouch!?

I paid only $249 for Delphi and I use THAT for my developement, build
programs, components, and more!

For an installer and BDE support that is quite a price tag.

I won't be using Wise for that kind of money when I barely paid that
much for the software I'm installing.

Wise seems "un" Wise at this point for me.

Re:WISE installer Price tag? Yikes!?

Stone wrote:

> From reading the articles in the group I decided to look-up the Wise
> installer and was impressed until I saw the price tag.  $199 + tax +
> shipping?

> Ouch!?

> I paid only $249 for Delphi and I use THAT for my developement, build
> programs, components, and more!

> For an installer and BDE support that is quite a price tag.

> I won't be using Wise for that kind of money when I barely paid that
> much for the software I'm installing.

> Wise seems "un" Wise at this point for me.

Have you compared the prices of other full function Installers?? Install
Shield is the same price (or more) and does not handle the BDE very well.

You could always write your own. How many hours would that take?? What is
your time worth? I bought WISE and think it is a great value for the time
and hassle that it saved me. I use it to build effortless
multidisk/multidirectory installations in minutes.

Cheers,

Matthew

Matthew McDermott
McDermott Enterprises
matt...@valleynet.com
My Web Page: http://www.valleynet.com/~matthew
Director of Information Services & Adjunct Professor - Mathematics
The American College of Prehospital Medicine: http://www.acpm.edu/

Stone wrote:

> From reading the articles in the group I decided to look-up the Wise
> installer and was impressed until I saw the price tag.  $199 + tax +
> shipping?

> Ouch!?

> I paid only $249 for Delphi and I use THAT for my developement, build
> programs, components, and more!

> For an installer and BDE support that is quite a price tag.

> I won't be using Wise for that kind of money when I barely paid that
> much for the software I'm installing.

> Wise seems "un" Wise at this point for me.

Well, that's certainly one way to value it. Another would be to look at
how much your time is worth and how much time it saves you compared to
writing an installer (or many, if you're a production shop), even in
Delphi, from scratch.

Stone wrote:

> From reading the articles in the group I decided to look-up the Wise
> installer and was impressed until I saw the price tag.  $199 + tax +
> shipping?

> Ouch!?

> I paid only $249 for Delphi and I use THAT for my developement, build
> programs, components, and more!

> For an installer and BDE support that is quite a price tag.

> I won't be using Wise for that kind of money when I barely paid that
> much for the software I'm installing.

> Wise seems "un" Wise at this point for me.

You better not look at InstallShield either, you will have heartattack when they
tell you $595.00 list for either 16bit or 32bit.

bard-d...@utech.net (Stone) wrote:
>From reading the articles in the group I decided to look-up the Wise
>installer and was impressed until I saw the price tag.  $199 + tax +
>shipping?

Hmmm... About the same as 2-3 hours of development time...  Given 2-3
hours you could probably write it yourself not.

In article <4pic2v$...@news.nznet.gen.nz> w...@iprolink.co.nz (Wade Auchterlonie) writes:
>>From reading the articles in the group I decided to look-up the Wise
>>installer and was impressed until I saw the price tag.  $199 + tax +
>>shipping?
>Hmmm... About the same as 2-3 hours of development time...  Given 2-3
>hours you could probably write it yourself not.

Nothing out of line about that price if you need a product like that.
Amortized over 100 units that's two bucks two bucks two bucks.  ;-)

Re:WISE installer Price tag? Yikes!?

The price increased dramatically in the last year,
but it is worth looking at. There was a full
featured demo version, it may be on their web
page. It is supported very well, we pay $10
for each new release. Don't forget the price for
a full version of Delphi (it is more than $250!).

Re:WISE installer Price tag? Yikes!?

> Stone wrote:
>> From reading the articles in the group I decided to look-up the Wise
>> installer and was impressed until I saw the price tag.  $199 + tax +
>> shipping?

>> Ouch!?[snip]
> > Wise seems "un" Wise at this point for me.

   There's quite a few shareware install programs available...
   some of them even work :-).  But, kidding aside, I've
   seen some usable ones for less than $50.  If all you are
   looking for is a glorified 'install.bat' then this might
   be your best solution - though I hafta admit that some
   shareware installers DO offer a lot of features.  Test them
   against win95, though, cus a couple of the older ones
   dont work against it.  I've been happy with the results of
   the testing I did with one called "O'Setup" (Celtech software,
   I think). You may want to look that one up.

   Ed

Re:WISE installer Price tag? Yikes!?

Why the hell do these things cost so much???

I wrote an install program for my multi-disk, multi-directory application.  It creates a
path in autoexec, edits win.ini, sets up a program group and icon, and installs the BDE and
SQL Links.  Only one problem... I think it's illegal, isn't it?  According to Borland's (No
Nonsense) License Agreement, you have to use either their own install program (which, I
must say, looks extremely tacky in the middle of a medical expert system's install
program), or one of the few licensed installers (such as WISE and InstallShield).

So does this mean I have to outlay $200-$500 on an expensive installer I don't really need?
I guess so :(

Ashley Bennett
be...@cygnus.uwa.edu.au

Re:WISE installer Price tag? Yikes!?

be...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au (Ashley Bennett) wrote:

..snip

>SQL Links.  Only one problem... I think it's illegal, isn't it?  According to Borland's (No
>Nonsense) License Agreement, you have to use either their own install program (which, I
>must say, looks extremely tacky in the middle of a medical expert system's install
>program), or one of the few licensed installers (such as WISE and InstallShield).

This must be in V2. I have a question: even when Installshield etc
were within easy reach I wrote my own install because none of
them did what I wanted to do, and I did the same with any components
I needed  I take it from what you said that this is now prohibited
by the licence agreement ?

I would have to think this this is not enforceable under Aus
fair trading and contract laws but then again I am not a lawyer...

Jon

Name:      Academic Technologies       Bongaree Rd,
Voice/Fax: 61-7-55-905-008/013         Terranora,
Inet:      acade...@onthenet.com.au    NSW, AUSTRALIA 2486
Web:       http://www.onthenet.com.au/~academic
My 3 year old son: "Daddy, why did God put the dinosaurs here first ?"
My 6 year old daughter: "To make it interesting for us!"...think about it !!

Re:WISE installer Price tag? Yikes!?

be...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au (Ashley Bennett) wrote:
>Why the hell do these things cost so much???
>I wrote an install program for my multi-disk, multi-directory application.  It creates a
>path in autoexec, edits win.ini, sets up a program group and icon, and installs the BDE and
>SQL Links.  Only one problem... I think it's illegal, isn't it?  According to Borland's (No
>Nonsense) License Agreement, you have to use either their own install program (which, I
>must say, looks extremely tacky in the middle of a medical expert system's install
>program), or one of the few licensed installers (such as WISE and InstallShield).

Thats right, if you want to install the BDE, you have to use their
installer to install the whole thing, even if you dont need it all.

There is a component suite for delphi 1&2 that is licensed to install
the BDE, and lets you make your installer look however you want tho.
It is call Youseful. ( silly name, nice compnents ).  It uses LZH
compression and creates a Setup program and two compressed files.
_files.1 and _setup.1  It handles multidisk installs, and works very
well.  I think the 16 bit version is free.
If you dislike anything about it, you can change it, because you get
all the source code with it.

dk

Ashley Bennett wrote:

> Why the hell do these things cost so much???

> I wrote an install program for my multi-disk, multi-directory application.  It creates a
> path in autoexec, edits win.ini, sets up a program group and icon, and installs the BDE and
> SQL Links.  Only one problem... I think it's illegal, isn't it?  According to Borland's (No
> Nonsense) License Agreement, you have to use either their own install program (which, I
> must say, looks extremely tacky in the middle of a medical expert system's install
> program), or one of the few licensed installers (such as WISE and InstallShield).

In nearly all states and countries in the world, that "license agreement" isn't worth the
paper it's written on.

Nearly all law-systems in different countries accept that when you buy a tool, it's
your tool, and you use it for whatever you want as long as it's not against the law.
The country's law, that is, NOT Borlands...

> So does this mean I have to outlay $200-$500 on an expensive installer I don't really need?
> I guess so :(

Probably not.
And if your local government support "contracts" like Borland's "full of nonsense"...,
get into local politics... :-)

Dag.

William Long wrote:

> Stone wrote:

> You better not look at InstallShield either, you will have heartattack when they
> tell you $595.00 list for either 16bit or 32bit.

InstallShield Express Pro was $295 on their Web page.

I downloaded the demo version, it's like the version supplied with Delphi 2.0 and
Visual C++ V4.1 but with Windows V3.1 support and 'Extension' support - call a
DLL or run an EXE.

Pete

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996 00:49:40 GMT, Lemur <dkna...@rdtech.com> wrote:
>There is a component suite for delphi 1&2 that is licensed to install
>the BDE, and lets you make your installer look however you want tho.
>It is call Youseful. ( silly name, nice compnents ).  It uses LZH
>compression and creates a Setup program and two compressed files.
>_files.1 and _setup.1  It handles multidisk installs, and works very
>well.  I think the 16 bit version is free.
>If you dislike anything about it, you can change it, because you get
>all the source code with it.

Any idea as to the name or location of this component suite?

regards,
-bob

bob villielm
systems analyst, cms

Re:WISE installer Price tag? Yikes!?

> On Fri, 14 Jun 1996 00:49:40 GMT, Lemur <dkna...@rdtech.com> wrote:
> >There is a component suite for delphi 1&2 that is licensed to install
> >the BDE, and lets you make your installer look however you want tho.
> >It is call Youseful. ( silly name, nice compnents ).  It uses LZH
> >compression and creates a Setup program and two compressed files.
> >_files.1 and _setup.1  It handles multidisk installs, and works very
> >well.  I think the 16 bit version is free.

I wouldn't get too e{*word*277}d about Youseful Components. Although they appear very nice and
can build quite good installation programs, they really DON'T appear to be licensed to
"install" the BDE - just add aliases.

The 16-bit version is shareware - needs to be registered for $50 (or at least that was the
price for V1.2 - don't know if there is a later version now...

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads