Permission Denied ($2b05) when running BDE

Hi,

    We using the BDE via ODBC aliases from inside COM objects via IIS (how's
that for acronym city!?)

    IIS runs within an account called IUSR_<machine_name>, which calls our
COM object, which then makes calls to the BDE.

    Unless we give the IUSR_ account membership of the Administrators group,
we get the $2B05 error.

    Does anyone know why this is / how to get around it?  .. we don't want
the IUSR_ account to have admin privelages...
Thanks .. Laurie   :-)

Using Win2K Server, D5, BDE 4

Re:Permission Denied ($2b05) when running BDE

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:43:00 +0800, "Laurie Smithdale" <l...@iinet.net.au>
wrote:

>    IIS runs within an account called IUSR_<machine_name>, which calls our
>COM object, which then makes calls to the BDE.

>    Unless we give the IUSR_ account membership of the Administrators group,
>we get the $2B05 error.

>    Does anyone know why this is / how to get around it?  .. we don't want
>the IUSR_ account to have admin privelages...

What happens if you give the IUSR_* account read permissions on the
HKLM/Software/Borland registry key?  I am guessing that this user account
can't see the BDE configuration settings in the registry and making it an
Administrator give it that permission.  If you explicitly grant rights to
this user for that key,  then you should be able to resolve without making
the account a "full administrator"...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam

Re:Permission Denied ($2b05) when running BDE

> On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:43:00 +0800, "Laurie Smithdale" <l...@iinet.net.au>
> wrote:

> >    IIS runs within an account called IUSR_<machine_name>, which calls
our
> >COM object, which then makes calls to the BDE.

> >    Unless we give the IUSR_ account membership of the Administrators
group,
> >we get the $2B05 error.

> >    Does anyone know why this is / how to get around it?  .. we don't
want
> >the IUSR_ account to have admin privelages...

> What happens if you give the IUSR_* account read permissions on the
> HKLM/Software/Borland registry key?  I am guessing that this user account
> can't see the BDE configuration settings in the registry and making it an
> Administrator give it that permission.  If you explicitly grant rights to
> this user for that key,  then you should be able to resolve without making
> the account a "full administrator"...

> Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)

Hi Jerry,

    Thanks for the input .. If I logon to the machine as IUSR_*, then I can
run the BDE no problems at all...it's only
    in the COM object that it balks...

..Laurie

Re:Permission Denied ($2b05) when running BDE

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:05:48 +0800, "Laurie Smithdale" <l...@iinet.net.au>
wrote:

>    Thanks for the input .. If I logon to the machine as IUSR_*, then I can run the BDE no problems at all...it's only
>    in the COM object that it balks...

Hmmm,  I am afraid I don't have much (if any) experience with COM objects.
Your description makes me want to think that it is an OS security
permissions issue,  but I am not positive.

If you haven't already asked about this in the Delphi Active-X group,  they
might be able to give you a little better insight in finding a solution...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam
filters will probably just delete it anyway <g>)

Other Threads