Creative ways to hang Windows

Asbj?rn wrote:

> Steven J. Tucker wrote:

> > Mike Wojcik (mwoj...@ripco.com) writes:
> > >      I know this probably sounds like a strange request, but I was wondering
> > > if people had any interesting ways to make windows '95 hang with PASCAL
> > > code..  It's a LONG story, and I don't plan to send this to anyone but
> > > myself...  Could I write to a certain port, or move contents of memory to make
> > > windows '95 hang?  I don't want to destroy any data, just so nothing responds
> > > and programs stop working..  Any insight would be appreciated..

> > Create an ISR and never return from it.  It will hang windows hard, and
> >  require a hard boot.  But, why would you WANT to?

> I'd LOVE to include such a "feature" in my demos :)

Great plan!  Put this feature in your demos so that everyone gets
the impression that the real thing is equally f**cked up and
no one buys it.  Very few people on this planet would ever throw
their money away to buy a program after looking at a demo that
locks up windoze or windoze 95.

Rob

Re:Creative ways to hang Windows

     I know this probably sounds like a strange request, but I was wondering
if people had any interesting ways to make windows '95 hang with PASCAL
code..  It's a LONG story, and I don't plan to send this to anyone but
myself...  Could I write to a certain port, or move contents of memory to make
windows '95 hang?  I don't want to destroy any data, just so nothing responds
and programs stop working..  Any insight would be appreciated..

Re:Creative ways to hang Windows

Mike Wojcik (mwoj...@ripco.com) writes:
>      I know this probably sounds like a strange request, but I was wondering
> if people had any interesting ways to make windows '95 hang with PASCAL
> code..  It's a LONG story, and I don't plan to send this to anyone but
> myself...  Could I write to a certain port, or move contents of memory to make
> windows '95 hang?  I don't want to destroy any data, just so nothing responds
> and programs stop working..  Any insight would be appreciated..

Create an ISR and never return from it.  It will hang windows hard, and
 require a hard boot.  But, why would you WANT to?

Steve

--
   * * *   Author of Imagic and APE - The Atari Peripheral Emulator!   * * *
   * * *       Turn your 8-bit Atari into a powerhouse with APE!       * * *

Steven J. Tucker wrote:

> Mike Wojcik (mwoj...@ripco.com) writes:
> >      I know this probably sounds like a strange request, but I was wondering
> > if people had any interesting ways to make windows '95 hang with PASCAL
> > code..  It's a LONG story, and I don't plan to send this to anyone but
> > myself...  Could I write to a certain port, or move contents of memory to make
> > windows '95 hang?  I don't want to destroy any data, just so nothing responds
> > and programs stop working..  Any insight would be appreciated..

> Create an ISR and never return from it.  It will hang windows hard, and
>  require a hard boot.  But, why would you WANT to?

I'd LOVE to include such a "feature" in my demos :)

--
- Asbj?rn / Lord Crc

http://home.sn.no/~bheid/
lord...@hotmail.com

Re:Creative ways to hang Windows

On Wed, 07 May 1997 00:41:23 -0400, Rob Stow <s...@sask.usask.ca>
wrote:

>Great plan!  Put this feature in your demos so that everyone gets
>the impression that the real thing is equally f**cked up and
>no one buys it.  Very few people on this planet would ever throw
>their money away to buy a program after looking at a demo that
>locks up windoze or windoze 95.

Not necessarily..."due to the resources required for this program, run
it in DOS, or a DOS compatibility mode only, and not in Windows, or a
Windows 95 DOS box."...

Most people will take that as an OK thing.

Rob Stow wrote:

> Asbj?rn wrote:

> > Steven J. Tucker wrote:

> > > Create an ISR and never return from it.  It will hang windows hard, and
> > >  require a hard boot.  But, why would you WANT to?

> > I'd LOVE to include such a "feature" in my demos :)

> Great plan!  Put this feature in your demos so that everyone gets
> the impression that the real thing is equally f**cked up and
> no one buys it.  Very few people on this planet would ever throw
> their money away to buy a program after looking at a demo that
> locks up windoze or windoze 95.

> Rob

I guess he meant "demo" like in the "demoscene". Check out the according
newsgroup and you'll find that much weirder stuff happens.

BTW: many demos already hang my computer because of their sound-routines
:-(

Remco de Korte
Soft Machine
Nederland
http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/download.html

Rob Stow wrote:

> Asbj?rn wrote:

> > I'd LOVE to include such a "feature" in my demos :)

> Great plan!  Put this feature in your demos so that everyone gets
> the impression that the real thing is equally f**cked up and
> no one buys it.  Very few people on this planet would ever throw
> their money away to buy a program after looking at a demo that
> locks up windoze or windoze 95.

> Rob

Ehh.... I didn't mean demo as in game/app demo, but as in "scene" demo.
(A real demo :) And, if you know "the scene", you know that most
people think you're crazy if you expect the demo to run under windows :)
And, people don't buy scenedemos anyway...

- Asbj?rn / Lord Crc

http://home.sn.no/~bheid/
lord...@hotmail.com

Re:Creative ways to hang Windows

mwoj...@ripco.com (Mike Wojcik) wrote:

//--
//--     I know this probably sounds like a strange request, but I was wondering
//--if people had any interesting ways to make windows '95 hang with PASCAL
//--code..  It's a LONG story, and I don't plan to send this to anyone but
//--myself...  Could I write to a certain port, or move contents of memory to make
//--windows '95 hang?  I don't want to destroy any data, just so nothing responds
//--and programs stop working..  Any insight would be appreciated..

Maybe you could contact Microsoft? They're experts in that kind of
stuff.

Or if you want to do it yourself you could: write to memory address
0000h:0000h  1024 times  a zero, it will rewrite the complete
interrupt table so ever interrupt (keyboard, timer)  that is called
will result in an infinite loop.

I've also got a CMOS killer if you are interrested  :)

+-------------------------------------------------------
+ EMAIL: Ned...@WorldOnline.nl
+ WWW: http://www.worldonline.nl/~nederm
+=======================================================
+ AKA Mighty Research
+
+-------------------------------------------------------
If you got a cool pascal source thingie just give
me an email....

Explorer         [not responding]      arggghhhhhhh

On 8 May 1997, Mike Wojcik wrote:

>      I know this probably sounds like a strange request, but I was wondering
> if people had any interesting ways to make windows '95 hang with PASCAL
> code..  It's a LONG story, and I don't plan to send this to anyone but
> myself...  Could I write to a certain port, or move contents of memory to make
> windows '95 hang?  I don't want to destroy any data, just so nothing responds
> and programs stop working..  Any insight would be appreciated..

actually, some of the best ways to hang win95 work in win3.1.  try writing
to the first 64k of memory. or:

  for i := 0 to $FFFF do
    mem [0:i] := $66;

this will overwrite the rom code and the operating system IN MEMORY.  the
data on the system will be untouched.

Rob Stow <s...@sask.usask.ca> once said:

>Great plan!  Put this feature in your demos so that everyone gets
>the impression that the real thing is equally f**cked up and
>no one buys it.  Very few people on this planet would ever throw
>their money away to buy a program after looking at a demo that
>locks up windoze or windoze 95.

>Rob

I belive he was talking about another kind of demos.

 Kim Robert Blix  ( kb...@sn.no  &  http://home.sn.no/~kblix )

 "How do you shoot the devil in the back?"
 "What if you miss?" -Verbal Kint

mbrut...@creighton.edu wrote:
> On 8 May 1997, Mike Wojcik wrote:

> >      I know this probably sounds like a strange request, but I was wondering
> > if people had any interesting ways to make windows '95 hang with PASCAL
> > code..  It's a LONG story, and I don't plan to send this to anyone but
> > myself...  Could I write to a certain port, or move contents of memory to make
> > windows '95 hang?  I don't want to destroy any data, just so nothing responds
> > and programs stop working..  Any insight would be appreciated..

> actually, some of the best ways to hang win95 work in win3.1.  try writing
> to the first 64k of memory. or:

>   for i := 0 to $FFFF do
>     mem [0:i] := $66;

Gee, why not just:

  fillchar (nil,$ffff,0);

> this will overwrite the rom code and the operating system IN MEMORY.  the
> data on the system will be untouched.

That's not ROM -- by definition, you can't overwrite ROM.  It's the
interrupt vector table, and the system data area is right above that.

set...@ix.netcom.com | scheduled chaos and mayhem. . . .  |

Re:Creative ways to hang Windows

Hi Mike.

>      I know this probably sounds like a strange request, but I was wondering
> if people had any interesting ways to make windows '95 hang with PASCAL
> code..
> windows '95 hang?  I don't want to destroy any data, just so nothing responds
> and programs stop working..  Any insight would be appreciated..

You can try very simple solution as:

asm
   CLI
@@1:
   NOP
   JMP @@1
end;

You should get absolute lockup if you run this code. Tried and tested.
This also shows that the windows95 is not so preemptive multitasker OS
as it is advertised. Under real preemtive multitasker OS like winnt and
others You should probably use semaphores and other stuff to block
system.
But the above example will do it fine for win95.

Raul Rebane.

Raul Rebane wrote:

> Hi Mike.

> >      I know this probably sounds like a strange request, but I was wondering
> > if people had any interesting ways to make windows '95 hang with PASCAL
> > code..
> > windows '95 hang?  I don't want to destroy any data, just so nothing responds
> > and programs stop working..  Any insight would be appreciated..

> You can try very simple solution as:

> asm
>    CLI
> @@1:
>    NOP
>    JMP @@1
> end;

> You should get absolute lockup if you run this code. Tried and tested.
> This also shows that the windows95 is not so preemptive multitasker OS
> as it is advertised. Under real preemtive multitasker OS like winnt and
> others You should probably use semaphores and other stuff to block
> system.
> But the above example will do it fine for win95.

> Raul Rebane.

BTW: most of the time Windows95 "hangs itself" (without me doing
anything), but I also found a very reliable way is to give a
print-command (I heard of several places that printing with
none-MS-software gives problems).

Remco

<mbrut...@creighton.edu> once said:

>actually, some of the best ways to hang win95 work in win3.1.  try writing
>to the first 64k of memory. or:

>  for i := 0 to $FFFF do
>    mem [0:i] := $66;

>this will overwrite the rom code and the operating system IN MEMORY.  the
>data on the system will be untouched.

ehhh, wont this cause a Segmentation fault in win95?

I wrote:
> Gee, why not just:

>   fillchar (nil,$ffff,0);

Bzzzzt, I wasn't thinking.  That doesn't work.  Make that:

const
  p : pointer = nil;

begin
  fillchar (p^,$ffff,0);