BDE on Linux/Samba

Dear friends

My apps in Delphi 3 Pro / BDE 4.51 works very well on a Windows
environmental, like peer-to-peer or 2000 server.
But, I have a client that installed a Linux server, with Samba, when
all workstations are Windows 98.

I follow all instructions on configuring BDE on network (the same that
work very well in a pure Windows environmental), but only one user can
acess the BDE database at a time. When second user try to acess, the
BDE yelds a error message.

Searching this groups, I put these settings on Samba smb.conf:

oplocks = false
locking = on
level2 oplocks = on

But, without success. Perhaps the Samba has ignored the settings. Of
course, my experience with Linux/Samba is minimal.

I ask to yours:
- In what section of smb.conf I need to put the settings?
- What version of Samba would be necessary? How to know the Samba
 version?
- Are there sites on Web with articles about this subject?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I registered recently Delphi 7 with Kylix, but I need some time to
convert the application, and the client can't wait...

Hrcules Russano
HRsft - "Simples, mas funciona"
http://www.hrsoft.com.br
S?o Gon?alo - RJ - Brasil

Remove 'nospam' from my email address to contact me.

Re:BDE on Linux/Samba

On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 19:20:04 GMT, nospam.hruss...@uol.com.br (Hercules

Russano) wrote:
>Dear friends

>My apps in Delphi 3 Pro / BDE 4.51 works very well on a Windows
>environmental, like peer-to-peer or 2000 server.
>But, I have a client that installed a Linux server, with Samba, when
>all workstations are Windows 98.

>I follow all instructions on configuring BDE on network (the same that
>work very well in a pure Windows environmental), but only one user can
>acess the BDE database at a time. When second user try to acess, the
>BDE yelds a error message.

>Searching this groups, I put these settings on Samba smb.conf:

>oplocks = false
>locking = on
>level2 oplocks = on

>But, without success. Perhaps the Samba has ignored the settings. Of
>course, my experience with Linux/Samba is minimal.

>I ask to yours:
>- In what section of smb.conf I need to put the settings?
>- What version of Samba would be necessary? How to know the Samba
> version?
>- Are there sites on Web with articles about this subject?

>Thanks in advance.

>PS: I registered recently Delphi 7 with Kylix, but I need some time to
>convert the application, and the client can't wait...

>Hrcules Russano
>HRsft - "Simples, mas funciona"
>http://www.hrsoft.com.br
>S?o Gon?alo - RJ - Brasil

>Remove 'nospam' from my email address to contact me.

Those settings are local not global I believe.  You have to put them
under the share name.  I have a client that I set up with Samba, but I
won't be back there until the end of the month.  Hop this helps some.

Steve

Change & to - for replies

Other Threads