Board index » delphi » Error - Duplicate Resource Identifier

Error - Duplicate Resource Identifier

I suddenly am getting a "Duplicate Resource Identifier" message in a D1
project and all that I did was to change a notebook component to a tabbed
notebook. The identifier is the name of the .PAS file in which the notebook
is declared. When I first saw it I just changed the file name using the
File..Save As function. That did not eliminate the message but merely changed
the name of the duplicate resource in the message to the new one. Can anyone
tell me what is going on? I am completely baffled by this one. I even went
back to the original notebook type and the error still exists. It looks like
the only way to get rif of it will be to completely redo the project without
using the either notebook component which will takes a couple of weeks of
work even with merely copying everything.

dick MacDonald
{*word*106}mac@(delete this to reply)fastservice.com
The extra info is included to foil the automated collection 'bots.

 

Re:Error - Duplicate Resource Identifier


dick,
  Not sure if this will fix thing but try copying your *.dpr, *.dfm and
*.pas file to another directory and try recompiling it from there.  Do not
copy the *.dcu, *.opt, *.res, etc. files that Delphi creates.

Hope this helps!
--
Rod Geraghty (:>)
GERA-Tech
Ottawa, Canada
gera...@ibm.net

Richard MacDonald <dick...@fastservice.com> wrote in article
<33088054.89131...@news.dimensional.com>...

Quote
> I suddenly am getting a "Duplicate Resource Identifier" message in a D1
> project and all that I did was to change a notebook component to a tabbed
> notebook. The identifier is the name of the .PAS file in which the
notebook
> is declared. When I first saw it I just changed the file name using the
> File..Save As function. That did not eliminate the message but merely
changed
> the name of the duplicate resource in the message to the new one. Can
anyone
> tell me what is going on? I am completely baffled by this one. I even
went
> back to the original notebook type and the error still exists. It looks
like
> the only way to get rif of it will be to completely redo the project
without
> using the either notebook component which will takes a couple of weeks of
> work even with merely copying everything.

>{*word*106} MacDonald
>{*word*106}mac@(delete this to reply)fastservice.com
> The extra info is included to foil the automated collection 'bots.

Re:Error - Duplicate Resource Identifier


Quote
Richard MacDonald wrote:

> I suddenly am getting a "Duplicate Resource Identifier" message in a D1
> project and all that I did was to change a notebook component to a tabbed
> notebook.

[...]

This is one designed to drive you crazy as it doesn't mention the units.
Here's what I found when this was going on -
I did have 2 resources with the same name and it took me a while to
find them.  Like you, I had two versions of a unit around and
was sure that only one of them was in use - the smart linker should
have unloaded the other one.  Before it did that, though, it complained
about the form identifiers being the same.  
Removing all references to one from all uses statements from the
unit made this go away (actually I've got a conditional compile).

Hope this helps,
Jochen

Re:Error - Duplicate Resource Identifier


On Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:28:29 +0100, Jochen Heyland <joch...@berlin.snafu.de>
may have written:

Quote
>Richard MacDonald wrote:

>> I suddenly am getting a "Duplicate Resource Identifier" message in a D1
>> project and all that I did was to change a notebook component to a tabbed
>> notebook.
>[...]

>This is one designed to drive you crazy as it doesn't mention the units.
>Here's what I found when this was going on -
>I did have 2 resources with the same name and it took me a while to
>find them.  Like you, I had two versions of a unit around and
>was sure that only one of them was in use - the smart linker should
>have unloaded the other one.  Before it did that, though, it complained
>about the form identifiers being the same.  
>Removing all references to one from all uses statements from the
>unit made this go away (actually I've got a conditional compile).

>Hope this helps,
>Jochen

Well, Jochen and Rod:

I could not find any duplicate identifier but from the suggestions made I
decided that the only solution was to recode the module. It is about 80% done
now and so far seems to work. I test after each small group of changes and so
far it works. About one to two more days of work should see me back to where
I was two weeks ago. Thanks for your suggestions.

By the way, to my knowledge I have made no changes to the original code other
than to reenter it. There must be something in the failing .DFM or .PAS file
that is not visible during editing. Most likely in the .DFM file. Someday
perhaps I will find the time to look at that file with a hex editor and may
be able to see something strange.

Thanks again, gentlemen. Best wishes to you both.
{*word*106} MacDonald
{*word*106}mac@(delete this to reply)fastservice.com
The extra info is included to foil the automated collection 'bots.

Other Threads