D6 Repair Trashed My D6 Installation -- ARGHHH!

This really @#$%!!

I used the D6 disk and selected "Repair" and it went through and
"repaired" my D6 installation. Now when I run D6, all of the
components are missing from the component palette except for the
FRAMES component. All of the packages are gone.

They call this "Repair"? It's like calling over a plumber to fix a
leakey faucet only to find out he demolished the building.

Now I have to re-install D6, patch it twice, re-install the 30 or so
components I've been using, and for what? Because the &@#&$ D6 install
screwed up my install. Thanks Borland. I guess I know what I'll be
doing for the next 2 days. Who do I send the bill to? ARGGHHHH!

Brent

Re:D6 Repair Trashed My D6 Installation -- ARGHHH!

"Brent" <bdgri...@NOSPAMmailbolt.com> wrote

> I used the D6 disk and selected "Repair" and ... all of the
> components are missing from the component palette except
> for the FRAMES component. All of the packages are gone.

Brent, I have heard of this problem before.  See
http://tinyurl.com/6y1c otherwise similar to
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=FRAMES+group%3Aborland.public.insta...
hi
HTH, JohnH

:
:Brent, I have heard of this problem before.  See
:http://tinyurl.com/6y1c otherwise similar to
:http://groups.google.com/groups?q=FRAMES+group%3Aborland.public.insta...
:hi
:HTH, JohnH
:

John,
        Yes, I tried their solution to run D6RegClean and it did not
think Delphi 6 was installed. So I uninstalled D6 and tried to
re-install it (clean install). I've done this plenty of times before,
but this time it kept installing it to C:\Program Files even though I
had explictly typed the paths in correctly. I have a screen snapshot
to prove it.<g>

Well, after 3 failed attempts, I finally ran it under safe mode
(Win2k) and that seemed to work fine. Now all I had to do was to
re-install all my 3rd party components. What fun! :)

Now I finally got everything back together again, and guess what?
Every time I run a Delphi 6 program (by pressing the green arrow to
compile and run) I get "Windows Installer" window saying "The feature
you are trying to use is on a CD_ROM or other removeable media that is
not available. Insert 'Borland C++Builder 6 Disk and Click Ok". I can
click cancel 3 times and the installer gives up for this Delphi
session. But why put up with this *rap because of the MSI installer?

This is the original problem I tried to correct by running The Delphi
6 Repair install. Now I'm back to where I was 6 hours ago. Arghh.

This problem first occurred after I installed a new motherboard last
weekend.

Yes, D6 is patched with Update Pack #2 that came out last month that
was suppose to D6/CB6 install problems.

I finally got around the problem by uninstalling CB6. CB6 and D6 just
do not get along. CB6 is going to stay uninstalled until either
Borland drops the MSI or hell freezes over, whichever comes first.

Sorry for venting, but I wasted most of a day with this install *rap.
:(

Brent

Other Threads