Book Review?

Is the book "Delphi 2.0 by example" any good?

I just picked up 2.0 and am looking for a good book. I want to do mainly database
type applications.

-Frank

Re:Book Review?

In article <31634DCB.5...@{*word*104}nex.net>, frac...@{*word*104}nex.net says...

>Is the book "Delphi 2.0 by example" any good?

>I just picked up 2.0 and am looking for a good book. I want to do mainly
database
>type applications.

>-Frank

Although it is written in an engaging way I wouldn't reccommend it.
Some of the examples are confusing and poorly coded, chapter 7 has some
code that doesn't compile and chapters prior to that take many issues for
granted, not a good thing for a beginners book.
Depending on your programming background there are several very good
books available.

Beginner book:
Teach Yourself Delphi 2 in 21 days. Not the same as the previous edition;
new author(s), easy going style and some projects that are fun. I'm not
too far in it but what I've read has been useful and except for a few
typos the examples are good.

Intermediate book:
Delphi 2 Unleashed. The CD ROM has introductory material included in the
first printed edition. This edition is more detailed than the first
edition but is still accessable. Some programming experience is needed IMO
to appreciate the matertial. Very expensive, $60 U.S.

There are several others that are useful as well. Much of it depends on
your learning style.

Bruce S.

Other Threads