Ping Addresses, Resolve IP to name, and total bandwidth monitoring

I've got two functionalities I'd like to add to my newsgroup reader project.
I'm using Indy 9.0x but would be willing to augment this with whatever
components get the job done.

   1) The ability to ping a NNTP-Posting-Host, and resolve the IP address to
a DNS-style name. (This would be the equivalent of doing "ping -a hostname"
at the command line.)
   2) Monitor total bandwidth usage for dial-up connections. I had a program
written once that did this. It showed kBPS for both incoming and outgoing
transmissions, no matter what program was initiating the transfer.
Unfortunately I lost that code (please don't ask!).

John M. Jacobson
Visit Jake's Delphi Page at http://www.xnet.com/~johnjac

   "Oh, no! She's stuck in an infinite loop, and he's an idiot. Oh well,
that's love for you."
         -Professor Farnsworth in "Futurama"

Re:Ping Addresses, Resolve IP to name, and total bandwidth monitoring

"John Jacobson" <johnjac[nospam]@xnet.com> wrote in news:3c6fd14f_2@dnews:

>    1) The ability to ping a NNTP-Posting-Host, and resolve the IP address
> a DNS-style name. (This would be the equivalent of doing "ping -a
> hostname" at the command line.)

You need to use the DNSResolver.

>    2) Monitor total bandwidth usage for dial-up connections. I had a
>    program
> written once that did this. It showed kBPS for both incoming and outgoing
> transmissions, no matter what program was initiating the transfer.
> Unfortunately I lost that code (please don't ask!).

You will need to hook in on a level lower than where Indy does.

Extend WebBroker or WebSnap with true RAD design NOW!
http://www.atozedsoftware.com/

Posted by ELKNews 1.0.4-B
Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

Other Threads