InputBox: Access violation at 00401B8C accessing FFFFFFFF

I am having a strange error.  I am using the Inputbox in the Dialogs
unit.  When the de{*word*81} executes the inputbox statement, there is an
EAccessViolation.  What could possibly cause this.

The error message includes a memory address (e.g. Access violation at
00401B8C accessing FFFFFFFF).  Is there a way to find out which source
line corresponds to this location?

Any help much appreciated.

JT

Re:InputBox: Access violation at 00401B8C accessing FFFFFFFF

Note:  I am building a console application executable (has a MSDOS
window).  Could this cause Inputbox to fail?

Re:InputBox: Access violation at 00401B8C accessing FFFFFFFF

Hi Jeffrey

Use IDE menu Search|Find Error..  or  from Project|Options, set map file
to detailed, and examine the .map file generated.

Regards

Jeffrey Tsai wrote:

> I am having a strange error.  I am using the Inputbox in the Dialogs
> unit.  When the de{*word*81} executes the inputbox statement, there is an
> EAccessViolation.  What could possibly cause this.

> The error message includes a memory address (e.g. Access violation at
> 00401B8C accessing FFFFFFFF).  Is there a way to find out which source
> line corresponds to this location?

> Any help much appreciated.

> JT

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:InputBox: Access violation at 00401B8C accessing FFFFFFFF

Yes,

try to get data as command line parameters, or use writeln etc.

Jeffrey Tsai wrote:

> Note:  I am building a console application executable (has a MSDOS
> window).  Could this cause Inputbox to fail?

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:InputBox: Access violation at 00401B8C accessing FFFFFFFF

To follow-up:

I get this run time error

Access violation at 00401B8c, read of address ffffffff.  This happens
consistently.
When I search for error, IDE can't find it. I looked at the detailed MAP
file, but couldn't find that address either.

I am running a console application with Delphi 2.0 Desktop.  Any
suggestion on how to track down this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Re:InputBox: Access violation at 00401B8C accessing FFFFFFFF

> I get this run time error

> Access violation at 00401B8c, read of address ffffffff.  This happens
> consistently.
> When I search for error, IDE can't find it. I looked at the detailed MAP
> file, but couldn't find that address either.

You have to subtract the load address of the program first, so look for
address 1B8C.

> I am running a console application with Delphi 2.0 Desktop.  Any
> suggestion on how to track down this problem will be greatly appreciated.

The VCL dialogs need the Application instance. A console application will
not have that, at least not properly initialized. If you use a console
application anyway, get input via ReadLn, not via a GUI dialog.