Some Solutions to the Delphi 4 Won't Start Problem

Here are some solutions though I haven't solved mine :(
-Get rid of your video card and get a new one
-Update your S3 Drivers
-Increase your color depth to 24 bit!
-Increase your screen settins to 1024 x 768
-Turn off graphic acceleration
-Start Delphi without the splash screen. (I think the command is -ns)
-Get some other tool for programming.

These are some of the answers to solve this solution.  I have tried all
cept changing my color depth.  It is sort of hard when you can't go that
high.  People say this is a driver problem but I don't think so.  I have
used just regular vga drivers that come with win95/98 and have used safe
mode and the problem is still there.  This is the FIRST AND ONLY
application I have ever used in my life that had this problem and
knowing that people have had these problems before only sickens me why
they haven't been fixed.  What next, we can distribute our delphi apps
to clients who have 8 megs of ram?  Or if they don't have the win95
keyboard?  If they have only one hd?

Re:Some Solutions to the Delphi 4 Won't Start Problem

I know that this must be frustrating for you.  I am going to base some
theories on the page fault error you were describing in a topic a few days
ago.  Here is one solution :

-If you have Delphi 3 or Delphi 2 installed, uninstall them and start from
scratch.
-Select every option in the Delphi 4 setup.

Another thing to do is clear your HD.  Re-install Win98 base components.
No games, no pretty little themes.  Then install Delphi 4.  See if the
error occurs.  If it does, then yell at Inprise until a solution is found.
If it does work, then install one win98 component at a time and see if
Delphi 4 still works.  If it does continue.  If it doesn't, call Inprise
and let them know that you are having this problem when this application is
installed.  You will be a hero to us all.

Karim Amin <ka...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<35A0F7B4.9948E...@hotmail.com>...

> Here are some solutions though I haven't solved mine :(
> -Get rid of your video card and get a new one
> -Update your S3 Drivers
> -Increase your color depth to 24 bit!
> -Increase your screen settins to 1024 x 768
> -Turn off graphic acceleration
> -Start Delphi without the splash screen. (I think the command is -ns)
> -Get some other tool for programming.

> These are some of the answers to solve this solution.  I have tried all
> cept changing my color depth.  It is sort of hard when you can't go that
> high.  People say this is a driver problem but I don't think so.  I have
> used just regular vga drivers that come with win95/98 and have used safe
> mode and the problem is still there.  This is the FIRST AND ONLY
> application I have ever used in my life that had this problem and
> knowing that people have had these problems before only sickens me why
> they haven't been fixed.  What next, we can distribute our delphi apps
> to clients who have 8 megs of ram?  Or if they don't have the win95
> keyboard?  If they have only one hd?

Re:Some Solutions to the Delphi 4 Won't Start Problem

You must do one thing for me.  Remove Delphi 3 from the computer, and
re-install Delphi 4.  The more I think about it, the more I believe that
this is the problem.

Karim Amin <ka...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<35A0F7B4.9948E...@hotmail.com>...

> Here are some solutions though I haven't solved mine :(
> -Get rid of your video card and get a new one
> -Update your S3 Drivers
> -Increase your color depth to 24 bit!
> -Increase your screen settins to 1024 x 768
> -Turn off graphic acceleration
> -Start Delphi without the splash screen. (I think the command is -ns)
> -Get some other tool for programming.

> These are some of the answers to solve this solution.  I have tried all
> cept changing my color depth.  It is sort of hard when you can't go that
> high.  People say this is a driver problem but I don't think so.  I have
> used just regular vga drivers that come with win95/98 and have used safe
> mode and the problem is still there.  This is the FIRST AND ONLY
> application I have ever used in my life that had this problem and
> knowing that people have had these problems before only sickens me why
> they haven't been fixed.  What next, we can distribute our delphi apps
> to clients who have 8 megs of ram?  Or if they don't have the win95
> keyboard?  If they have only one hd?

Re:Some Solutions to the Delphi 4 Won't Start Problem

I did remove Delphi 3.  I never had both installed at the same time.  I have
formatted my hd.  I have left my hd at fat16 and tried it then switch to the
normal fat32 and tried it.  I only installed win98 with no extras and still
nothing.  Trust me, I think i have tried everything possible except getting a
new video card/computer/new programming language.

Kevin Felichko wrote:
> You must do one thing for me.  Remove Delphi 3 from the computer, and
> re-install Delphi 4.  The more I think about it, the more I believe that
> this is the problem.

> Karim Amin <ka...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
> <35A0F7B4.9948E...@hotmail.com>...
> > Here are some solutions though I haven't solved mine :(
> > -Get rid of your video card and get a new one
> > -Update your S3 Drivers
> > -Increase your color depth to 24 bit!
> > -Increase your screen settins to 1024 x 768
> > -Turn off graphic acceleration
> > -Start Delphi without the splash screen. (I think the command is -ns)
> > -Get some other tool for programming.

> > These are some of the answers to solve this solution.  I have tried all
> > cept changing my color depth.  It is sort of hard when you can't go that
> > high.  People say this is a driver problem but I don't think so.  I have
> > used just regular vga drivers that come with win95/98 and have used safe
> > mode and the problem is still there.  This is the FIRST AND ONLY
> > application I have ever used in my life that had this problem and
> > knowing that people have had these problems before only sickens me why
> > they haven't been fixed.  What next, we can distribute our delphi apps
> > to clients who have 8 megs of ram?  Or if they don't have the win95
> > keyboard?  If they have only one hd?

Re:Some Solutions to the Delphi 4 Won't Start Problem

Well, if you want to have some fun you can try replacing the Kernel32.dll
with the 95 version and see if you get the same message or a better one.
Or you could try installing it under 95 and see what you get (excuse my
ignorance on D4 and the installation procedure).  You could even mess
around with removing all the components from the system registry and see if
they are causing it.  You could remove the PVCS support from the registry.
Mess around with it.  It could be something with a registry setting.

Karim Amin <ka...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<35A0FE37.70A9B...@hotmail.com>...

> I did remove Delphi 3.  I never had both installed at the same time.  I
have
> formatted my hd.  I have left my hd at fat16 and tried it then switch to
the
> normal fat32 and tried it.  I only installed win98 with no extras and
still
> nothing.  Trust me, I think i have tried everything possible except
getting a
> new video card/computer/new programming language.

> Kevin Felichko wrote:

> > You must do one thing for me.  Remove Delphi 3 from the computer, and
> > re-install Delphi 4.  The more I think about it, the more I believe
that
> > this is the problem.

> > Karim Amin <ka...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
> > <35A0F7B4.9948E...@hotmail.com>...
> > > Here are some solutions though I haven't solved mine :(
> > > -Get rid of your video card and get a new one
> > > -Update your S3 Drivers
> > > -Increase your color depth to 24 bit!
> > > -Increase your screen settins to 1024 x 768
> > > -Turn off graphic acceleration
> > > -Start Delphi without the splash screen. (I think the command is -ns)
> > > -Get some other tool for programming.

> > > These are some of the answers to solve this solution.  I have tried
all
> > > cept changing my color depth.  It is sort of hard when you can't go
that
> > > high.  People say this is a driver problem but I don't think so.  I
have
> > > used just regular vga drivers that come with win95/98 and have used
safe
> > > mode and the problem is still there.  This is the FIRST AND ONLY
> > > application I have ever used in my life that had this problem and
> > > knowing that people have had these problems before only sickens me
why
> > > they haven't been fixed.  What next, we can distribute our delphi
apps
> > > to clients who have 8 megs of ram?  Or if they don't have the win95
> > > keyboard?  If they have only one hd?

Re:Some Solutions to the Delphi 4 Won't Start Problem

I looked at both versions of the Kernel32.dll and found them to be different.
The Kernel32.dll that came with win95 was like 404kb and the one in win98 is
like 460kb.  I thought about changing them but thought otherwise due to
previous experience with switching dll's in win95 :).  The experience was one
to remember.  I will try it again though since I am at the point where I want
to shoot someone :).  By the way, I have to wait 2 hours till I get off work to
try it.

Karim Amin wrote:

> I looked at both versions of the Kernel32.dll and found them to be different.
> The Kernel32.dll that came with win95 was like 404kb and the one in win98 is
> like 460kb.  I thought about changing them but thought otherwise due to
> previous experience with switching dll's in win95 :).  The experience was one
> to remember.  I will try it again though since I am at the point where I want
> to shoot someone :).  By the way, I have to wait 2 hours till I get off work to
> try it.

Actually Karim, I've had a similar problem on my machine with D3,
an S3 VIRGE card, and every rev of the drivers that I can find.
In my case, D3 begins to load, and everything is fine until
it's about half way through loading the component palette, at
which point it hangs the system (like, hardware reset time!).
As with you, setting the driver to use 65536 colours instead
of 256 makes the problem go away, and interestingly an identical
card on a machine at work with Windows/NT on it has no problems at
all. This would seem to indicate that it is indeed a driver problem
although the fact that (as with you) Delphi is the only application
which exhibits this behaviour (and I have a LOT of applications)
indicates that this is not entirely the whole story. It's usually
games that have trouble with video drivers, not IDEs!

Re:Some Solutions to the Delphi 4 Won't Start Problem

Just to let you know. Just installed D4. Install went smoothly, Win98
upgrade over 98 Beta, over 95a, had no programs running, even closed
Outlook. Restarted Windows, started D4, HUNG!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Read your message. The easiest thing to try first was increase color
depth. (Was running 1024X768 already but in 16bit mode). So increased
color depth to 24 bit. It worked!!!:):):):):):):)

Thank you for your sugestion. Good luck with yours.

Regards,
Andy

--
Man is a tool-using animal. . . . Without tools he is nothing, with
tools he is all.

Other Threads