Board index » delphi » Apollo vs. BDE

Apollo vs. BDE

Hello.

I wonder about trying Apollo instead of using the BDE.
Can anyone give me their wiew of this?

Thanks
--
Ken Dahle   <kenda...@telepost.no>

'Life Is An Orange!!!'

 

Re:Apollo vs. BDE


Quote
Ken Dahle <kenda...@telepost.no> wrote:
>I wonder about trying Apollo instead of using the BDE.
>Can anyone give me their wiew of this?

Apollo has a smaller distributable, and works with Clipper, FoxPro,
and their custom index files.

The BDE supports SQL and is scalable to SQL servers from Paradox or
dBASE IV or above.  You can actually develop much of your App
identically with either Apollo or the BDE.

jfk

Re:Apollo vs. BDE


j...@earthlink.net (John F. Kaster) wrote:

Quote
>Ken Dahle <kenda...@telepost.no> wrote:

>>I wonder about trying Apollo instead of using the BDE.
>>Can anyone give me their wiew of this?

>Apollo has a smaller distributable, and works with Clipper, FoxPro,
>and their custom index files.

Woah! This caught my eye. Does this mean I could use the PhDBaseIII
full-text indexing  system for FoxPro with it?

For those not familiar with it, it is slightly magic: it is a full-text,
and phrase, indexing system, that lets you do all kinds of cool boolean,
phonemic, and proximity searches, and is amazingly fast and compact. The
last time I checked, it was still only available for FP, and was about to
be released for VFP (it should be out by now).

Quote
>The BDE supports SQL and is scalable to SQL servers from Paradox or
>dBASE IV or above.  You can actually develop much of your App
>identically with either Apollo or the BDE.

What I want to know, is WHEN are we going to see an *Object* database
system for Delphi?

--
Brad Aisa <ba...@hookup.net>  web: http://www.hookup.net/~baisa/

1 Mises (M1.00) = 0.01 troy ounce gold; 1 Rand (1R) = 0.01 Mises

"The highest responsibility of philosophers is to serve as the
guardians and integrators of human knowledge."   -- Ayn Rand

Re:Apollo vs. BDE


Quote
ba...@hookup.net (Brad Aisa) wrote:
>Woah! This caught my eye. Does this mean I could use the PhDBaseIII
>full-text indexing  system for FoxPro with it?
>For those not familiar with it, it is slightly magic: it is a full-text,
>and phrase, indexing system, that lets you do all kinds of cool boolean,
>phonemic, and proximity searches, and is amazingly fast and compact. The
>last time I checked, it was still only available for FP, and was about to
>be released for VFP (it should be out by now).

I'm not sure about PhDBase.  I do know that Successware has licensed
Fast Text Search for Apollo, which is along the same lines.

Other Threads