N: Math routines/Math CDROMs/Math sites for Delphi (2.0)

Tim Stannard <T...@adhoc.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <56cu1c$...@falcon.le.ac.uk>, "Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk>
>writes

>>Yes some people are selfish like that. Other people do make their code
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>I cannot let this pass. What on earth is SELFISH about keeping routines
>that you have slaved over for your own use in the applications you write
>for your customers, rather than giving them away?
>John Merrit MAKES HIS LIVING writing code. Presumably, given your title
>and address, you MAKE YOUR LIVING either passing on information or
>researching.
>Either way, you get a nice steady income.

Have you worked in academia in the last couple of years? Probably not.
Income in academia nowadays is neither steady nor nice.

>JM may spend hundreds of hours for which he is NOT being paid,
>developing routines/systems in the hope that he will make use of them or
>otherwise sell them. He is not receiving any payment whilst he does
>this.
>I suggest it's high time you took a couple of months out in the
>commercial/real world.

The point I made is not that professional programmers should not be paid
for their work. However, the original poster asked politely for some
example code on math routines, which are widely and freely available for
any programming language you care to name.

I am quite sure that Mr. Merrit profited from similar code examples when
he was a budding programmer. Nobody asked for several thousand lines of
source code, just a little math unit which any experiened programmer
can put together in a few hours as a finger exercise (I have done so
myself, so I know). In the light of this I found his answer unhelpful,
arrogant and selfish.

If he did not want to give away his code, a simple pointer for example to
garbo would have been sufficient. But to give the impression that free
code is not available, in the light of all the work spend for example by
the GNU teams, is, in my view, unacceptable.

Oh, and by the way, I have worked outside the university too, and in my
experience it is a lot easier outside than inside.

Re:N: Math routines/Math CDROMs/Math sites for Delphi (2.0)

"Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk> wrote:

>Tim Stannard <T...@adhoc.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>In article <56cu1c$...@falcon.le.ac.uk>, "Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk>
>>writes

>>>Yes some people are selfish like that. Other people do make their code
>>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>I cannot let this pass. What on earth is SELFISH about keeping routines
>>that you have slaved over for your own use in the applications you write
>>for your customers, rather than giving them away?
>>John Merrit MAKES HIS LIVING writing code. Presumably, given your title
>>and address, you MAKE YOUR LIVING either passing on information or
>>researching.
>>Either way, you get a nice steady income.
>Have you worked in academia in the last couple of years? Probably not.
>Income in academia nowadays is neither steady nor nice.
>>JM may spend hundreds of hours for which he is NOT being paid,
>>developing routines/systems in the hope that he will make use of them or
>>otherwise sell them. He is not receiving any payment whilst he does
>>this.
>>I suggest it's high time you took a couple of months out in the
>>commercial/real world.
>The point I made is not that professional programmers should not be paid
>for their work. However, the original poster asked politely for some
>example code on math routines, which are widely and freely available for
>any programming language you care to name.
>I am quite sure that Mr. Merrit profited from similar code examples when
>he was a budding programmer. Nobody asked for several thousand lines of
>source code, just a little math unit which any experiened programmer
>can put together in a few hours as a finger exercise (I have done so
>myself, so I know). In the light of this I found his answer unhelpful,
>arrogant and selfish.
>If he did not want to give away his code, a simple pointer for example to
>garbo would have been sufficient. But to give the impression that free
>code is not available, in the light of all the work spend for example by
>the GNU teams, is, in my view, unacceptable.
>Oh, and by the way, I have worked outside the university too, and in my
>experience it is a lot easier outside than inside.

I think there is a little fault on both sides here. Seems to me that
the initial response to the original poster was pretty ill-mannered.
He could simply have said something to the effect of "I have code I am
prepared to sell you, but since I have put a lot of my own time into
it  and want something back then I'm not prepared to simply give it
away". However, I have to take issue with use of the word selfish. At
the end of the day, writing code is how many of us make our living,
and it is wrong to describe us as selfish simply because we wish to
sell something which has taken a lot of time/effort to write.
Presumably as an academic you publish. I know that generally academic
papers don't bring in the food for dinner, but when you write your
first book for publication are you going to forgo the royalties on it?
I'd be very surprised if you did!

Jez

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads