N: Math routines/Math CDROMs/Math sites for Delphi (2.0)

Hi !

Can anybody out there give me the titles of CDROMs containing math
routines (in Object Pascal) for Borland Delphi 2.0 ?

I would mainly need routines for numerical analysis, number theory and
'infinite precision/digit maths'.

I would also be very grateful for receiving a list of web-links on
such topics (or similar ones) for placing them in my own homepage.

Please add at least a few words of description, thus giving me an idea
of what the mentioned CD/web-site is about.

PLEASE SEND REPLIES VIA EMAIL ONLY !

Thank you very much !

Gerhard Landauf (Vienna/AUSTRIA)
land...@adis.at

Re:N: Math routines/Math CDROMs/Math sites for Delphi (2.0)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:22:00 GMT, land...@adis.at (Gerhard Landauf)
wrote:

>Hi !

>Can anybody out there give me the titles of CDROMs containing math
>routines (in Object Pascal) for Borland Delphi 2.0 ?

>I would mainly need routines for numerical analysis, number theory and
>'infinite precision/digit maths'.

>I would also be very grateful for receiving a list of web-links on
>such topics (or similar ones) for placing them in my own homepage.

>Please add at least a few words of description, thus giving me an idea
>of what the mentioned CD/web-site is about.

>PLEASE SEND REPLIES VIA EMAIL ONLY !

>Thank you very much !

I think that it is very stupid to give the answer only to you because
the question was on a public forum. So, I just do not answer to this
message.

<next unread>

Gerhard Landauf wrote:

> Hi !

> Can anybody out there give me the titles of CDROMs containing math
> routines (in Object Pascal) for Borland Delphi 2.0 ?

> I would mainly need routines for numerical analysis, number theory and
> 'infinite precision/digit maths'.

> I would also be very grateful for receiving a list of web-links on
> such topics (or similar ones) for placing them in my own homepage.

> Please add at least a few words of description, thus giving me an idea
> of what the mentioned CD/web-site is about.

I saw such components at the Delphi Superpage
http://SunSite.Informatik.RWTH-Aachen.DE/delphi

Bye Joerg

Joerg Hoffmeister       phone   : ++49 2041 262187
Am Eickholtshof 1a      fax     : ++49 2041 263307
46236 Bottrop           mail    : ho...@etdv.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
GERMANY                 homepage: http://www.grosse-wilde.de

pekka.haapalai...@pp.weppi.fi (Pekka Haapalainen) wrote:
>On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:22:00 GMT, land...@adis.at (Gerhard Landauf)
>wrote:
>>Hi !

>>Can anybody out there give me the titles of CDROMs containing math
>>routines (in Object Pascal) for Borland Delphi 2.0 ?

>>I would mainly need routines for numerical analysis, number theory and
>>'infinite precision/digit maths'.

>>I would also be very grateful for receiving a list of web-links on
>>such topics (or similar ones) for placing them in my own homepage.

>>Please add at least a few words of description, thus giving me an idea
>>of what the mentioned CD/web-site is about.

>>PLEASE SEND REPLIES VIA EMAIL ONLY !

>>Thank you very much !
>I think that it is very stupid to give the answer only to you because
>the question was on a public forum. So, I just do not answer to this
>message.
><next unread>

I've written math routines for Delphi for more than
350 (advanced) mathematical functions.
This took me a lot of time (+ 10.000 lines of code!!!).
Do you really think (believe) I'm gonna give it away for free???
Try writing (bullet-proof) code for calculation of (for example)
the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix (> 10*10) yourself.
If you still answer the above question positive,
you're either very na?ve or just ... (fill in yourself, I'll stay
polite...).

--
My mind is not for rent
To any god or government

John Merrit (john.mer...@net4all.be)

Re:N: Math routines/Math CDROMs/Math sites for Delphi (2.0)

There is a math unit supplied by Borland on the Delphi 2.0 cdrom.
You can find this unit in...
  RUNIMAGE\DELPHI20\SOURCE\RTL\SYS\MATH.PAS
This is a 32 bit component, but I have cut & pasted some of its math
procedures right into my 16 bit apps.

Hope this helps.

Fredrick Bartlett
Tech Support Analyst
ADP
Los Angeles Region

Re:N: Math routines/Math CDROMs/Math sites for Delphi (2.0)

Fredrick Bartlett <bartl...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
<32850C79.2...@pacbell.net>...

> There is a math unit supplied by Borland on the Delphi 2.0 cdrom.
> You can find this unit in...
>   RUNIMAGE\DELPHI20\SOURCE\RTL\SYS\MATH.PAS
> This is a 32 bit component, but I have cut & pasted some of its math
> procedures right into my 16 bit apps.

> Hope this helps.

> Fredrick Bartlett
> Tech Support Analyst
> ADP
> Los Angeles Region

Apparently, this math unit is not supplied with Delphi Desktop.  I can't
find it.
--
(Remember..if it doesn't work,  Microsoft doesn't care.
And Compaq charges $35 to ask "why?".)

"Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk> writes:

>>john.mer...@NET4ALL.BE wrote:
>>> pekka.haapalai...@pp.weppi.fi (Pekka Haapalainen) wrote:
>>> I've written math routines for Delphi for more than
>>> 350 (advanced) mathematical functions.
>>> This took me a lot of time (+ 10.000 lines of code!!!).
>>> Do you really think (believe) I'm gonna give it away for free???
>>> Try writing (bullet-proof) code for calculation of (for example)

I would not criticize you for not giving away your work -- but there are
several examples where that has been done. Donald Knuth's TeX for
example is a much bigger task than what you have done with numerical
routines in delphi -- and knuth gave it to the public domain.
there are others....
John Patrick Lestrade         |
Lestr...@batse.msfc.nasa.gov  |
Lestr...@cesr.cnes.fr         |

Re:N: Math routines/Math CDROMs/Math sites for Delphi (2.0)

>john.mer...@NET4ALL.BE wrote:

>> pekka.haapalai...@pp.weppi.fi (Pekka Haapalainen) wrote:

>> I've written math routines for Delphi for more than
>> 350 (advanced) mathematical functions.
>> This took me a lot of time (+ 10.000 lines of code!!!).
>> Do you really think (believe) I'm gonna give it away for free???
>> Try writing (bullet-proof) code for calculation of (for example)
>> the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix (> 10*10) yourself.
>> If you still answer the above question positive,
>> you're either very na?ve or just ... (fill in yourself, I'll stay
>> polite...).

Yes some people are selfish like that. Other people do make their code
available. The first place to look for pascal code on just about anything
are the SWAG (software archive group) files, from the turbopas directory
of garbo.uwasa.fi

But be warned: You will get several megabytes of code!

There is quite a bit of other usefull material in the garboi site.

I also darkly remember having seen a CD with Turbo Pascal code collected
over the years by some american user group. Check with your
free/shareware supplier.

Re:N: Math routines/Math CDROMs/Math sites for Delphi (2.0)

In article <56cu1c$...@falcon.le.ac.uk>, "Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk>
writes

>>john.mer...@NET4ALL.BE wrote:

>>> This took me a lot of time (+ 10.000 lines of code!!!).
>>> Do you really think (believe) I'm gonna give it away for free???

>Yes some people are selfish like that. Other people do make their code

                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I cannot let this pass. What on earth is SELFISH about keeping routines
that you have slaved over for your own use in the applications you write
for your customers, rather than giving them away?

John Merrit MAKES HIS LIVING writing code. Presumably, given your title
and address, you MAKE YOUR LIVING either passing on information or
researching.

Either way, you get a nice steady income.

JM may spend hundreds of hours for which he is NOT being paid,
developing routines/systems in the hope that he will make use of them or
otherwise sell them. He is not receiving any payment whilst he does
this.

Presumably Borland are selfish for insisting we pay a few more
quid/dollars to get the VCL source.

M$ are selfish for not giving away Windows ? After all they've written i
now.

I suggest it's high time you took a couple of months out in the
commercial/real world.

--
Tim Stannard -  Ad Hoc Computing, Addlestone, Surrey, UK
                Tel/Fax: 01932 830572  Mob: 0589 918184

Re:N: Math routines/Math CDROMs/Math sites for Delphi (2.0)

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996 08:18:19 +0000, Tim Stannard

<T...@adhoc.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <56cu1c$...@falcon.le.ac.uk>, "Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk>
>writes

>>Yes some people are selfish like that. Other people do make their code
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>JM may spend hundreds of hours for which he is NOT being paid,
>developing routines/systems in the hope that he will make use of them or
>otherwise sell them. He is not receiving any payment whilst he does
>this.
>Tim Stannard -  Ad Hoc Computing, Addlestone, Surrey, UK

Couldn't agree with you more Tim. I as well make my living developing.
I wouldn't give any of it away for someone else to view especially if
it is quite lengthy, and not of common knowledge.

... And there are many WEEKS that I too, go unpaid.. You gave some
great advice when you directed him to the real world... Maybe once
he/she is there, they'll have a better grasp on LIFE too!

Regards,

____________________
Rick Anthony
The DsGp Software Company

Rick Anthony wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Nov 1996 08:18:19 +0000, Tim Stannard
> <T...@adhoc.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >In article <56cu1c$...@falcon.le.ac.uk>, "Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk>
> >writes

> >>Yes some people are selfish like that. Other people do make their code
> >                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> >JM may spend hundreds of hours for which he is NOT being paid,
> >developing routines/systems in the hope that he will make use of them or
> >otherwise sell them. He is not receiving any payment whilst he does
> >this.

> >Tim Stannard -  Ad Hoc Computing, Addlestone, Surrey, UK

> Couldn't agree with you more Tim. I as well make my living developing.
> I wouldn't give any of it away for someone else to view especially if
> it is quite lengthy, and not of common knowledge.

> ... And there are many WEEKS that I too, go unpaid.. You gave some
> great advice when you directed him to the real world... Maybe once
> he/she is there, they'll have a better grasp on LIFE too!

> Regards,

> ____________________
> Rick Anthony
> The DsGp Software Company

Let's slow down here - the original poster was asking for help in
identifying any free math code available on the net. And there is a lot
of it (e.g. SWAG, http://gams.nist.gov/,
http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/apstat/). So nobody was asking for a "free
ride", but for advise and help. And I think, we are here to help each
other.

Michael

<T...@adhoc.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <56cu1c$...@falcon.le.ac.uk>, "Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk>
>writes

>>Yes some people are selfish like that. Other people do make their code
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What do you mean selfish?

For crying out loud...THAT IS WHAT I DO....slaving my arse off over a
piece of code. Is it selfish if I charge for support? Perhaps I should
start charging for my help on these newsgroups.

>I cannot let this pass. What on earth is SELFISH about keeping routines
>that you have slaved over for your own use in the applications you write
>for your customers, rather than giving them away?

*CLAP* *CLAP*

>John Merrit MAKES HIS LIVING writing code. Presumably, given your title
>and address, you MAKE YOUR LIVING either passing on information or
>researching.

Wherever you make your living, you make a living, whether it's
programming or not.

>Either way, you get a nice steady income.

>JM may spend hundreds of hours for which he is NOT being paid,
>developing routines/systems in the hope that he will make use of them or
>otherwise sell them. He is not receiving any payment whilst he does
>this.

*CLAP* *CLAP*

>Presumably Borland are selfish for insisting we pay a few more
>quid/dollars to get the VCL source.

>M$ are selfish for not giving away Windows ? After all they've written i
>now.

*CLAP* *CLAP*

>I suggest it's high time you took a couple of months out in the
>commercial/real world.

Whoo whoo!!! *CLAP* *CLAP*

Sorry to be so sarcastic, but to call someone selfish because he
doesn't pass out his code like you might perhaps do with yours, is
ridiculous.

My company is based on this concept. I wonder how much I would make if
I passed out the code for my product to the next best programmer...I'd
crumble up and die and the IRS would sit on my head asking where the
money is.

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
CEO - ellipse data systems

-
=  Any opinions here are my personal opinions, not those of my company  =
=          Home on the web: http://www.ellipse-data.com/                =
=     Maintainers of the South African Delphi Super Page Mirror at      =
=                    http://www.icon.co.za/~thelink/                    =

Re:N: Math routines/Math CDROMs/Math sites for Delphi (2.0)

In article <328D6FA9.3...@daytonoh.ncr.com>, Michael Beck <michael.beck@
daytonoh.ncr.com> writes

>> >In article <56cu1c$...@falcon.le.ac.uk>, "Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk>
>> >writes

>> >                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Let's slow down here - the original poster was asking for help in
>identifying any free math code available on the net. And there is a lot
>of it (e.g. SWAG, http://gams.nist.gov/,
>http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/apstat/). So nobody was asking for a "free
>ride", but for advise and help. And I think, we are here to help each
>other.

Absolutely agreed, Michael. My critisism was NOT of the original posters
request. Indeed, who on this newsgroup has not made use of code provided
by others for free?

My critisism was purely of the attitude that someone who doesn't make
code they've written available for free is being selfish. No more, no
less.

My only regret is that I made the attack a personal one, for which I
apologise to Dr. E. Buxbaum. [My only excuse is that I'd just spent a
long night coding on a project which is running late for which I am
being paid a fixed fee and hence any code I am currently writing is
actually costing me]

Many thanks to those who have backed me up through this newsgroup and e-
mail.

--
Tim Stannard -  Ad Hoc Computing, Addlestone, Surrey, UK
                Tel/Fax: 01932 830572  Mob: 0589 918184
                e-mail: stann...@adhoc.demon.co.uk

Re:N: Math routines/Math CDROMs/Math sites for Delphi (2.0)

I would like to apologise to Dr. E Bauxham for my biting remarks on the
newsgroups concerning the above subject.

I am aware of the situation, and I lashed out to Dr Bauxham for the, in my
opinion, ignorant remark.

Once again, I feel strongly about the fact that most users of these
newsgroups are professionals who rely on making money from their code to
make a living. I do too. But it was unfair to lash out to someone who
perhaps might not rely on coding, but on a different manner to make a
living.

I sincerely apologise to you Dr. Bauxham, for the {*word*193} remarks, and to
other who might have been offended by my post.

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
CEO - ellipse data systems

-

In article <T0gVIRALdCjyE...@adhoc.demon.co.uk>, Tim Stannard
<T...@adhoc.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <56cu1c$...@falcon.le.ac.uk>, "Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk>
>writes

>>Yes some people are selfish like that. Other people do make their code
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>I cannot let this pass. What on earth is SELFISH about keeping routines
>that you have slaved over for your own use in the applications you write
>for your customers, rather than giving them away?

>John Merrit MAKES HIS LIVING writing code. Presumably, given your title
>and address, you MAKE YOUR LIVING either passing on information or
>researching.

>Either way, you get a nice steady income.

Absolutely, academics have no idea about the real world, they have a
very cushy life, no worries and loads of free time on their hands.
Academics who give software away for 'free' are actually doing nothing
of the sort, remember we have already paid for it through our taxes, so
we shouldn't have to pay (again) for academic software, eg Knuth's Tex
(which is of course very good).

Herb
--
Herbert M Sauro