BDE Engine Error (BDE Admin won't open)

Recently several computers in my office running software with BDE have
been corrupted.  They were working fine and then all of the sudden the
applications quit working.  If you go into Control Panel and try to
open BDE Admin you will get an error concerning the BDE initializing.

What we have discovered is that all of the computers with this problem
are plugged into the network and they automatically update with the
latest Microsoft patches (Windows Update.)  Apparently one of these
patches contains a file that is overwriting a filed needed for the
BDE.

Any ideas out there?