Using files in a net directory

Hi!
   I suppose this is a newbie (as I am) question, but I couldn't
figure the problem out.
   I developed an application based on Paradox tables. It was supposed
to be a desktop only database system, I mean, the files should stay
in a hard drive in the same machine (win95) the system is run. But
now I need to keep the files in a remote NT server and still run the
system from the win95 machine.
   At first, I thought it was obvious to just change the alias with
the BDE Configuration Utility. Then, when I run my application,
it complains that "The directory is controlled by other .NET file.
Directory C:\. File: R:\<my path>".

   R: above is a mapped drive to the NT server and <my path> is the
directory where I put the database files.

   I tried to copy the .NET file to the server, tried the BDE
Configuration Utility in the server too, but nothing worked out... :(

   What am I missing?

   Thanx in advance,

--
Mauro Nascimento Rezende
CI&T Informatica - Campinas - SP - Brazil

Re:Using files in a net directory

Mauro Nascimento Rezende wrote:

> Hi!
>    I suppose this is a newbie (as I am) question, but I couldn't
> figure the problem out.
>    I developed an application based on Paradox tables. It was supposed
> to be a desktop only database system, I mean, the files should stay
> in a hard drive in the same machine (win95) the system is run. But
> now I need to keep the files in a remote NT server and still run the
> system from the win95 machine.
>    At first, I thought it was obvious to just change the alias with
> the BDE Configuration Utility. Then, when I run my application,
> it complains that "The directory is controlled by other .NET file.
> Directory C:\. File: R:\<my path>".

>    R: above is a mapped drive to the NT server and <my path> is the
> directory where I put the database files.

>    I tried to copy the .NET file to the server, tried the BDE
> Configuration Utility in the server too, but nothing worked out... :(

>    What am I missing?

>    Thanx in advance,

> --
> Mauro Nascimento Rezende
> CI&T Informatica - Campinas - SP - Brazil

On each machine that will run this program you will need to set the
"NETDIR" property for Paradox tables, inside of the BDE, to the same
network directory.  This will allow one file (.NET) to control all user
access.

Hope this helps.

Re:Using files in a net directory

I am having a similar problem, and have set the NETDIR to the
network directory.  We run two different versions of the BDE.  The
one that comes with Delphi 3 and the version of IDAPI that comes with
Paradox 7 for 3.1.
If anybody has successfully used both of these please let me know how
it was done...

Thanks in Advance,

Ben Viering
bvier...@bbs.idtdna.com

Robby Collins <ro...@jimbishopcabinets.com> wrote in article
<33AFDC70.7...@jimbishopcabinets.com>...

====-----------------------

> >       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

> On each machine that will run this program you will need to set the
> "NETDIR" property for Paradox tables, inside of the BDE, to the same
> network directory.  This will allow one file (.NET) to control all user
> access.

> Hope this helps.
> \

Re:Using files in a net directory

look in the directory and delete any .lck files and it will work -
presuming it's a single user app.

HTH,

--
Paul Motyer
SoftStuff, Croydon, Australia, 3136

Mauro Nascimento Rezende <maur...@cit.com.br> wrote in article
<866847727.22...@dejanews.com>...

> Hi!
>    I suppose this is a newbie (as I am) question, but I couldn't
> figure the problem out.
>    I developed an application based on Paradox tables. It was supposed
> to be a desktop only database system, I mean, the files should stay
> in a hard drive in the same machine (win95) the system is run. But
> now I need to keep the files in a remote NT server and still run the
> system from the win95 machine.
>    At first, I thought it was obvious to just change the alias with
> the BDE Configuration Utility. Then, when I run my application,
> it complains that "The directory is controlled by other .NET file.
> Directory C:\. File: R:\<my path>".

>    R: above is a mapped drive to the NT server and <my path> is the
> directory where I put the database files.

>    I tried to copy the .NET file to the server, tried the BDE
> Configuration Utility in the server too, but nothing worked out... :(

>    What am I missing?

>    Thanx in advance,

> --
> Mauro Nascimento Rezende
> CI&T Informatica - Campinas - SP - Brazil

Re:Using files in a net directory

NetDir's in Paradox are a real pain in the arse, but here are some tips:

1. When you access some tables in a directory, a couple of .lck files are
created in it, pointing to the controlling NetDir. When anyone else tries
to access tables in this directory, they first check for .lck files, and if
found, they compare the NetDir contained to their own NetDir. If they are
different, you get the message familiar to most Paradox developers
"Multiple Net Files in Use"

2. When NetDir's are compared, it's not enough for the physical directory
to be the same. The full path (except the drive letter) must be the same.
In fact, the same path (minus the drive letter) will pass the comparison
even if it maps to a different physical directory. You'll inevitably strike
locking problems, but it will let you in.

3. If an app falls over after accessing some table, the .lck files will
probably still remain. As another poster said, if you know nobody is in the
tables, delete the .lck files and have another go.

Hope this helps a bit.
Malcolm Groves