WIN NT - 95 - 31

What's the difference between windows NT and windows 95?

Which of these would be best for creating Delphi progs?
Would an app created on one of these run on the other?

Regards,

Willem.

//==============================================================\\
|| Willem van de Vis             Alfa-Informatica               ||
|| vd...@let.rug.nl              http://www.let.rug.nl/~vdvis   ||
|| Groningen, the Netherlands    Whoever reads this can read.   ||
\\==============================================================//

Re:WIN NT - 95 - 31

W.J. van de Vis wrote:

> What's the difference between windows NT and windows 95?

  A quick answer would be a Server vs. non-server O/S...

> Which of these would be best for creating Delphi progs?
> Would an app created on one of these run on the other?

  Either...
  Yes...

--
Jason
Dark...@SLSoftware.reno.nv.us

Re:WIN NT - 95 - 31

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997 19:41:55 GMT, vd...@let.rug.nl (W.J. van de Vis)
wrote:

>What's the difference between windows NT and windows 95?

Windows 95 is a compromise, designed for maximum backward
compatibility.  Windows NT is designed to be robust and secure, part
of that security being to prevent applications from directly
interfacing with the hardware.

>Which of these would be best for creating Delphi progs?
>Would an app created on one of these run on the other?

Either will do the job.  Windows NT requires more memory to do any
given task than does Windows 95.  Any app (with some exceptions, such
as the Windows NT console application) should work on both platforms
(provided that Windows NT 4 is the version you are planning to use).

Regards,
Noel

Re:WIN NT - 95 - 31

W.J. van de Vis <vd...@let.rug.nl> wrote in article
<vdvis.37.335E0...@let.rug.nl>...

> What's the difference between windows NT and windows 95?

Win95 is more or less Win3.1 + Win32s, but done better. NT could be
considered as a corporate (network) operation system. NT is truely 32 bit
(unlike Win92) and is much more secure than Win95.

> Which of these would be best for creating Delphi progs?

Both platforms are o.k. for developing Delphi programs.

> Would an app created on one of these run on the other?

In most cases programs written for Win95 would run fine under NT as well,
so there is nothing much to worry about. Something to watch out for are a
few Win32 Api calls, where in some cases the syntax might be slightly
different or the API doesn't exist (ex: NT security features and Win95
Toolhelp).

Met vriendelijke groet,

Tom

Re:WIN NT - 95 - 31

I have found some strange differences.

Mainly with the use of assign().  I had no errors on Win NT 4.0 machines.
The same executable produces read access violations on Win 95!!

--
Paul Motyer
paulm at pccity.com.au - now working!

ad...@remove.atlantic.to.compulink.reply.co.uk wrote in article
<335e9845.8506...@news.compulink.co.uk>...

> On Wed, 23 Apr 1997 19:41:55 GMT, vd...@let.rug.nl (W.J. van de Vis)
> wrote:

> >What's the difference between windows NT and windows 95?

> Windows 95 is a compromise, designed for maximum backward
> compatibility.  Windows NT is designed to be robust and secure, part
> of that security being to prevent applications from directly
> interfacing with the hardware.

> >Which of these would be best for creating Delphi progs?
> >Would an app created on one of these run on the other?

> Either will do the job.  Windows NT requires more memory to do any
> given task than does Windows 95.  Any app (with some exceptions, such
> as the Windows NT console application) should work on both platforms
> (provided that Windows NT 4 is the version you are planning to use).

> Regards,
> Noel

Other Threads