Gurus: TIBDataset not streaming correctly when using Form Inheritance

The TIBDataset is not writing any of the SQL strings to the DFM file, when
the form is inherited.

Steps to recreate the problem:

1) Add a TIBDatabase to a form/datamodule
2) Add a TIBDataset to the same form/datamodule
3) Set IBDataset1.Database to IBDatabase1
4) Save the form
5) Create a new form inheriting from the first form.
6) Save the second form.
7) On the first form, set IBDataset1.SelectSQL to "aaaaaa"
8) On the second form, set IBDataset1.SelectSQL to "bbbbbbbb"
9) Save Form1, then Form2
10) Close both units, and reopen both units

Form1.IBDataset1.SelectSQL will override Form2.IBDataset1's SelectSQL.  All
the SQL properties do this same thing.

Any ideas on how to fix this?  I really need to use form inheritance, and I
need to have an IBDataset on the ancestor form, for each descendant to
modify as to their particular needs.  I don't want to have to put an
IBDataset on every descendant form!

Please help.... I'm pretty much at a stopping point until this is fixed.

Kevin
note: I haven't tried other components, like TQuery.  I'll do that now.

Re:Gurus: TIBDataset not streaming correctly when using Form Inheritance

I had to view as text the child form and modify it by hand.  I think this is
possibly fixed in the newest release at
http://www.interbase.com/downloads/products.html.  I'm not certain it is fixed
in this one though.  Ravi (the writer of IBX) is definately aware of this
problem.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human.

Re:Gurus: TIBDataset not streaming correctly when using Form Inheritance

I just download the beta update, and this did not fix the problem.  Setting
all this SQL, by hand, is somewhat of a daunting task!  Any idea when this
problem will be addressed?

I've had several problems with IBX since I started using it.  The other
problem I had was a "Cannot created shared resource" error message (when
creating the Mutex for MonitorHook), when IBX was used from a Delphi Active
Server Object loaded in an ASP page AND (IBX is) used in a standard Delphi
app running on the same computer.  The workaround was to remove all
references to "MonitorHook.xxxxx" from the IB source.

I like IBX, but it has been a painful process to convert to it, so
far........

Kevin Burge wrote:

> I just download the beta update, and this did not fix the problem.  Setting
> all this SQL, by hand, is somewhat of a daunting task!  Any idea when this
> problem will be addressed?

I beleive it has been fixed in an unreleased beta Ravi has (I'm no longer seeing
it), but he is not ready to publish the fix yet.  I brought it to his attention
a couple of weeks ago so he is aware of it and does consider it a problem.  BTW,
look at that URL I mentioned regularly for updates to IBX.  IBX is being
developed further in conjucntion with IB 6 so its updates will appear on the IB
page before it appear on a Delphi page at this time.  I'll try to announce any
new 'beta' versions that go up on those pages in the Delphi IBX group.  These
updates are called beta more because if you have IB 6 beta (like the one
available at this years Borcon) there are additional Admin components and that
is the 'beta' part, the normal components are getting bug fixes in the beta
updates (hope that makes sense).

> I've had several problems with IBX since I started using it.  The other
> problem I had was a "Cannot created shared resource" error message (when
> creating the Mutex for MonitorHook),

I haven't tried to use these components this way.  If you have an example e-mail
me and I'll see it gets to Ravi.  I'm looking at the monitor code also, I don't
like several places how things were implimented, and the general feel from Ravi
is sorta the same, particularly where performance is concerned with a
UBSQLMonitor instantiated.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human.
At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear
shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house.   (Heinlein)

Other Threads