does Delphi not suppport Epson printers????

Is this a Delphi Printer unit problem, or is this a
Epson print driver problem....  It seems that no matter
what Delphi written program (doesn't matter if from
Delphi 2, 3, or 4) I try to print to an Epson 660 or
750, all I get are null pages. These same programs
work just fine with HP inkjets, IBM, Canon and any other
brand we've tried. What is strange also is that if I
run Win9x Paint or Word etc, and try to print to the
Epson from them they generate the appropriate output.

To me as a code hacker this smells like an Epson print
driver problem. We tried to go to Epson and all we get
back is bs about making sure our printer is powered up,
or that it is in fact connected to the pc etc etc - totally
lame.

Have others seen such strangeness?

many thanks,
=greg (chief bit twiddler)

ps. it does not matter if the print request for the
Epson is a bitmap or simple text output - in all
cases, we see the print spooler icon come up on the task
bar (for 1 nanosecond, maybe), we hear the printer go through
its loading paper cycle, and then that's it.

RCBS.Load information available at www.gmdr.com

Re:does Delphi not suppport Epson printers????

"greg mushial" <gmush...@gmdr.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> Is this a Delphi Printer unit problem, or is this a
> Epson print driver problem....  It seems that no matter
> what Delphi written program (doesn't matter if from
> Delphi 2, 3, or 4) I try to print to an Epson 660 or
> 750, all I get are null pages. These same programs
> work just fine with HP inkjets, IBM, Canon and any other
> brand we've tried. What is strange also is that if I
> run Win9x Paint or Word etc, and try to print to the
> Epson from them they generate the appropriate output.

I have an Epson Atylus Color 740, which prints fine with the Delphi5
programs I have made.
It could be a bug in your program.
It would be helpfull if you posted a *very small* print program which
demonstrates the problem.

Finn Tolderlund

Re:does Delphi not suppport Epson printers????

> Is this a Delphi Printer unit problem, or is this a
> Epson print driver problem....  It seems that no matter
> what Delphi written program (doesn't matter if from
> Delphi 2, 3, or 4) I try to print to an Epson 660 or
> 750, all I get are null pages. These same programs
> work just fine with HP inkjets, IBM, Canon and any other
> brand we've tried. What is strange also is that if I
> run Win9x Paint or Word etc, and try to print to the
> Epson from them they generate the appropriate output.

Which kind of report generator do you use?
Regards
Nicolas

Re:does Delphi not suppport Epson printers????

It could be a problem with the Epson drivers. I saw some messages on the
comp.lang.clarion group that they were also having problems with Epson
printers.

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:30:54 +0200, "Finn Tolderlund"

<XnospamYfinn.tolderlu...@Ymobilixnet.dkXnospamY> wrote:
>"greg mushial" <gmush...@gmdr.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>> Is this a Delphi Printer unit problem, or is this a
>> Epson print driver problem....  It seems that no matter
>> what Delphi written program (doesn't matter if from
>> Delphi 2, 3, or 4) I try to print to an Epson 660 or
>> 750, all I get are null pages. These same programs
>> work just fine with HP inkjets, IBM, Canon and any other
>> brand we've tried. What is strange also is that if I
>> run Win9x Paint or Word etc, and try to print to the
>> Epson from them they generate the appropriate output.

>I have an Epson Atylus Color 740, which prints fine with the Delphi5
>programs I have made.
>It could be a bug in your program.
>It would be helpfull if you posted a *very small* print program which
>demonstrates the problem.

>Finn Tolderlund

Re:does Delphi not suppport Epson printers????

Hi Greg!

(Excuse my bad English)

I had a problem with a Panasonic-Printer.
The solution was: This printer had an emulations. (I dont know
how to switch). Then I installed
the driver of the emulated Printer (IBM Probrinter) then it works.

Greetings Joachim

greg mushial schrieb:

> Is this a Delphi Printer unit problem, or is this a
> Epson print driver problem....  It seems that no matter
> what Delphi written program (doesn't matter if from
> Delphi 2, 3, or 4) I try to print to an Epson 660 or
> 750, all I get are null pages. These same programs
> work just fine with HP inkjets, IBM, Canon and any other
> brand we've tried. What is strange also is that if I
> run Win9x Paint or Word etc, and try to print to the
> Epson from them they generate the appropriate output.

> To me as a code hacker this smells like an Epson print
> driver problem. We tried to go to Epson and all we get
> back is bs about making sure our printer is powered up,
> or that it is in fact connected to the pc etc etc - totally
> lame.

> Have others seen such strangeness?

> many thanks,
> =greg (chief bit twiddler)

> ps. it does not matter if the print request for the
> Epson is a bitmap or simple text output - in all
> cases, we see the print spooler icon come up on the task
> bar (for 1 nanosecond, maybe), we hear the printer go through
> its loading paper cycle, and then that's it.

> RCBS.Load information available at www.gmdr.com

Re:does Delphi not suppport Epson printers????

If your printing graphics, then yes, there are problems
with the VCL. Take a look at my TExcellentPrinting
products at:

http://home1.gte.net/joehecht/

Joe

greg mushial <gmush...@gmdr.com> wrote in message

> Is this a Delphi Printer unit problem, or is this a
> Epson print driver problem....  It seems that no matter
> what Delphi written program (doesn't matter if from
> Delphi 2, 3, or 4) I try to print to an Epson 660 or
> 750, all I get are null pages. These same programs
> work just fine with HP inkjets, IBM, Canon and any other
> brand we've tried. What is strange also is that if I
> run Win9x Paint or Word etc, and try to print to the
> Epson from them they generate the appropriate output.

> To me as a code hacker this smells like an Epson print
> driver problem. We tried to go to Epson and all we get
> back is bs about making sure our printer is powered up,
> or that it is in fact connected to the pc etc etc - totally
> lame.

> Have others seen such strangeness?

> many thanks,
> =greg (chief bit twiddler)

> ps. it does not matter if the print request for the
> Epson is a bitmap or simple text output - in all
> cases, we see the print spooler icon come up on the task
> bar (for 1 nanosecond, maybe), we hear the printer go through
> its loading paper cycle, and then that's it.

> RCBS.Load information available at www.gmdr.com

Re:does Delphi not suppport Epson printers????

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:17:47 GMT, gmush...@gmdr.com (greg mushial)
wrote:

sorry about the delay in following up... our isp has been fighting
news feed problems...

The failure to print is over a couple of dozen programs, ie, we've
tried about everything we could find, hoping to find one that would
work. but none.

w/re type of printing: in any case where the tform.print method is
called we get nothing. If the code uses the printers unit and does
opendoc... stuff... and clossedoc, it doesnt matter if "stuff" is
canvas.textout(0,0,'Hello world'), or does canvas.moveto(.., lineto(xx
PLEASE note that in all cases these programs produce the desired
output with various hp inkjets, one canon inkjet, several Lexmark
printers, and even some early epsons - the only ones we have problems
with are the 660s and 750s.

I think also important to observe: in all cases, by using paint
(w/ win 95r2), or word (on same) we get both textual output, and
graphic bitmap type output. also of note: if a call to xxxForm.print
fails to produce output, a alt-prtscrn capture of that same screen, a
pasting into paint, and then File, Print... the image will print.

my guess is that epson in their latest drivers have failed to
implement (or fully and correctly implement) one or more of the
required driver functions... but thats only my guess. as to why
the MS software prints and 3rd party doesn't: they had MS software
to test against, and they made the drivers work for them... and they
probably mever tested against other software, and hence never detected
their shortcomings...  only my opinion, but hey after writing code for
3+ decades, one gets a sense of what a bug might look like, and why
it might be doing what its doing.

In article <38ebfa45.40218...@news.jps.net>, gmush...@gmdr.com (greg mushial)
writes:

>Is this a Delphi Printer unit problem, or is this a
>Epson print driver problem....  It seems that no matter
>what Delphi written program (doesn't matter if from
>Delphi 2, 3, or 4) I try to print to an Epson 660 or
>750, all I get are null pages. These same programs
>work just fine with HP inkjets, IBM, Canon and any other
>brand we've tried. What is strange also is that if I
>run Win9x Paint or Word etc, and try to print to the
>Epson from them they generate the appropriate output.

>To me as a code hacker this smells like an Epson print
>driver problem.

I think you're most likely correct <g>

Without want to teach my grandparent to suck egs <g> have you tried a simple
printing from a Delphi program and from an MS program _without the printer
being switched on_. Then copying the unprinted spool files and comparing the
size and contents using Debug (or a simple 'PrintHex' program). It _might_ show
a clue, particularly if you knew the Epson (EscP) codes to set emulations and
looked for those.

You might also try a simple send to spool (ie by-passing the print drivers by
using AddJob and ScheduleJob) to see what prints - if anything.

Alan Lloyd
alangll...@aol.com

Joe C. Hecht wrote:

> If your printing graphics, then yes, there are problems
> with the VCL. Take a look at my TExcellentPrinting
> products at:

> http://home1.gte.net/joehecht/

On your sitem there is huge amount of text about your printing components.
I still don't know what do they exactly do, where should I use them.
Is it a tool set for someone who has dumped all the common reporting
tools, and all the VCL in there, and decides to write on by himself. Or
just starts writing low level API printing commands.

TIP: Throw away your engineer cap for a second, and write some full
screens of easy to understand introduction about the quick benefits
of your product.
Some examples about using it with QR, and the other popular reporting
tools etc.

It might be, this way you'll get more customers interested about your
products.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:does Delphi not suppport Epson printers????

Yes, this is a good idea. We have just upgraded the site with
the new release of the TExcellentProducts version 2.0.

Joe

Markku Nevalainen <m...@iki.fi> wrote in message news:38EDA3FD.127@iki.fi...
> Joe C. Hecht wrote:

> > If your printing graphics, then yes, there are problems
> > with the VCL. Take a look at my TExcellentPrinting
> > products at:

> > http://home1.gte.net/joehecht/

> On your sitem there is huge amount of text about your printing components.
> I still don't know what do they exactly do, where should I use them.
> Is it a tool set for someone who has dumped all the common reporting
> tools, and all the VCL in there, and decides to write on by himself. Or
> just starts writing low level API printing commands.

> TIP: Throw away your engineer cap for a second, and write some full
> screens of easy to understand introduction about the quick benefits
> of your product.
> Some examples about using it with QR, and the other popular reporting
> tools etc.

> It might be, this way you'll get more customers interested about your
> products.

> Markku Nevalainen

Other Threads