Object Pascal 7.0

For you power users: my apology from a rank beginner
posting his first NG message:

I purchased Delphi developer to learn to write Windows
programs - even though it has been 20 years since I was
in college with one semester of Computer Science 101
in the language PL/1.

To get started, I want to use a book by Charles Calvert
which deals with Borland's Turbo Pascal 7.0 as a way of
coming to grips with the rudiments of Delphi's language.

I looked at the Delphi index and I can see Delphi ver. 1
for Win 3.1 ... but I don't see Pascal 7.0.

Should I purchase Turbo Pascal 7.0 separately to use
a book focusing just on the Pascal language?

Thanks.

Fritz Mielke - Cheesehead and Packer Fan

Re:Object Pascal 7.0

milkman...@usa.net wrote in message <6c9rnj$vu...@nnrp2.dejanews.com>...
>I purchased Delphi developer to learn to write Windows
>To get started, I want to use a book by Charles Calvert
>which deals with Borland's Turbo Pascal 7.0 as a way of
>coming to grips with the rudiments of Delphi's language.

[snip]

milk--

bite the bullet and buy a new book.  The Rubenking Delphi for
Dummies is probably the best tho I hate the title.

Check out any by Texeira & Pacheco, and also by Marco Cantu.

--
Grace + Peace | Peter N Roth | Engineering Objects Int'l
  Author: Round Robin, a Delphi scheduling component
Visit our website at http://www.inconresearch.com/eoi
"Random numbers are too important to be left to chance." - anon

Re:Object Pascal 7.0

milkman...@usa.net schrieb:

> For you power users: my apology from a rank beginner
> posting his first NG message:

> I purchased Delphi developer to learn to write Windows
> programs - even though it has been 20 years since I was
> in college with one semester of Computer Science 101
> in the language PL/1.

> To get started, I want to use a book by Charles Calvert
> which deals with Borland's Turbo Pascal 7.0 as a way of
> coming to grips with the rudiments of Delphi's language.

> I looked at the Delphi index and I can see Delphi ver. 1
> for Win 3.1 ... but I don't see Pascal 7.0.

> Should I purchase Turbo Pascal 7.0 separately to use
> a book focusing just on the Pascal language?

> Thanks.

> Fritz Mielke - Cheesehead and Packer Fan

> http://www.dejanews.com/   Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Delphi is closer to VisualBasic than to Pascal, it simply "uses" pascal
statements and it has to deal with all the dirty methods introduced by
the C programmers who "created" Windows.
Borland Pascal 7 (or TP7) are very good for Pascal programming,
if you intend to write memory consuming applications, since they use
the DPMI properties of DOS. And there is also a Windows version
of Borland Pascal 7.
If you want to write not very large application programs, better use
the older TP6, it has all you need and is easier to maintain than BP7
and uses less resources than the #7 issue. TP6 also has full Object
power.

Kindest Regards,
Franz Glaser, Austria
http://members.eunet.at/meg-glaser

Re:Object Pascal 7.0

In article <6c9rnj$vu...@nnrp2.dejanews.com>, milkman...@usa.net wrote:
>For you power users: my apology from a rank beginner
>posting his first NG message:

>I purchased Delphi developer to learn to write Windows
>programs - even though it has been 20 years since I was
>in college with one semester of Computer Science 101
>in the language PL/1.

>To get started, I want to use a book by Charles Calvert
>which deals with Borland's Turbo Pascal 7.0 as a way of
>coming to grips with the rudiments of Delphi's language.

>I looked at the Delphi index and I can see Delphi ver. 1
>for Win 3.1 ... but I don't see Pascal 7.0.

Hi,

Well, I think it's not so bad to use TurboPascal or BorlandPascal 7 to
learn Pascal, because Delphi does most of the Stuff for you. And I
think using the old BP 7-OWL for some windows programs let you learn
more about the strucure of Windows and about OO-Models used by
Borland.

Andreas

--
helicon software development | Localization Tool for Borland Delphi 3
heli...@helicon.co.at        | helicon Translator for Delphi 3

Other Threads