Can't break program in Win 2000

I have upgraded Win2000 from WinNT. Since then I can't break program (with
Ctrl-Break) when it is runing in compiler. I was used to break program and
then debug program from that point. Or if I have made mistake in code I have
used Ctrl-Break for stoping program. Can anyone help.

Sa1a

Re:Can't break program in Win 2000

"Sa1o Ahlin" <sasa.ah...@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message

> I have upgraded Win2000 from WinNT. Since then I can't break program
(with
> Ctrl-Break) when it is runing in compiler. I was used to break program
and
> then debug program from that point. Or if I have made mistake in code I
have
> used Ctrl-Break for stoping program. Can anyone help.

Testing, I find something similar; user breaks are ignored
(it did report a user break, but it waited until it hit a
fatal error, which isn't really helpful).

You will need to debug your programs differently - breaking
into it during execution is usually not the best way to do
so in any case (with the exception of stopping a runaway
loop). I find that it is much better to use a combination
of defined breakpoints (when you have a good idea where the
problem is, or you want to see what's happening from a
particular point) and the "Step Into" and "Step Over"
debugging commands, using watches to keep an eye on relevant
variables. This gives you greater flexibility and precision
in stopping execution, and you can get a better
understanding of the problem.

Also worthy of note are conditional breakpoints (typically
I use them when I have a loop that executes many times
before the problem occurs, and set the pass count
accordingly), and the "Go To Cursor" command.

--
The Scarlet Manuka

Re:Can't break program in Win 2000

I'm alredy using all of tips that you're explaining. Maybe I must just wait
for Win2002 (never know what they're doing).

Thank you anyway

Sa1o

"The Scarlet Manuka" <sa...@maths.uwa.edu.au> wrote in message

> "Sa1o Ahlin" <sasa.ah...@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
> > I have upgraded Win2000 from WinNT. Since then I can't break program
> (with
> > Ctrl-Break) when it is runing in compiler. I was used to break program
> and
> > then debug program from that point. Or if I have made mistake in code I
> have
> > used Ctrl-Break for stoping program. Can anyone help.

> Testing, I find something similar; user breaks are ignored
> (it did report a user break, but it waited until it hit a
> fatal error, which isn't really helpful).

> You will need to debug your programs differently - breaking
> into it during execution is usually not the best way to do
> so in any case (with the exception of stopping a runaway
> loop). I find that it is much better to use a combination
> of defined breakpoints (when you have a good idea where the
> problem is, or you want to see what's happening from a
> particular point) and the "Step Into" and "Step Over"
> debugging commands, using watches to keep an eye on relevant
> variables. This gives you greater flexibility and precision
> in stopping execution, and you can get a better
> understanding of the problem.

> Also worthy of note are conditional breakpoints (typically
> I use them when I have a loop that executes many times
> before the problem occurs, and set the pass count
> accordingly), and the "Go To Cursor" command.

> --
> The Scarlet Manuka

Other Threads