Paradox Ref. Integrity problem

Hello all,

I've created a couple of paradox tables in the database desktop, one a
parent of the other.  Have set up a "cascading" (as opposed to prohibiting)
referntial integrity constraint.  When i delete a record in the parent
table, i expect all corresponding child records to be deleted also, but in
fact I am simply prohibited from doing the deletion, a la the "prohibit"
type of referential integrity.

I noticed that the child table went up to paradox version 7 when  I added
the constraint, while the parent stayed at ver 5.

Does paradox support the cascade type?  Or have I misunderstood its meaning?

Am using an old version of the BDE (it shipped with D2),

Thanks,
Chris (kinetic#ihug.co.nz, replace # with @ to get email address)

Re:Paradox Ref. Integrity problem

Chris,

The 'cascading' only applies to *changes* to the master key field.
You have to handle detail table deletions yourself.

--
Stephen Brown
+44 (0)171 704 0702

Chris Were wrote in message <6r56fh$42...@wolfman.xtra.co.nz>...
>Hello all,

>I've created a couple of paradox tables in the database desktop, one
>parent of the other.  Have set up a "cascading" (as opposed to
prohibiting)
>referntial integrity constraint.  When i delete a record in the
parent
>table, i expect all corresponding child records to be deleted also,
but in
>fact I am simply prohibited from doing the deletion, a la the
"prohibit"
>type of referential integrity.

Other Threads