Help: Help system step-by-step for newbies

Hi,
Where do I find a thorough step-by-step procedure for creating a complete help system?

I know about compiling RTF files, but I need tips AND examples about all the codes/footnotes, using the HelpContext field and how to create additional help windows etc...

I have started to create a help system for an application, I call Application.HelpCommand(...  from the Help menu-item and that works fine, but how do I bring up help when users press F1??  I thought that was kind of automatic?

Thanks in advance

Tor

Re:Help: Help system step-by-step for newbies

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 23:14:23 +0100, "Tor Tveitane" <bush...@online.no>
wrote:

>Hi,
>Where do I find a thorough step-by-step procedure for creating a =
>complete help system?

>I know about compiling RTF files, but I need tips AND examples about all =
>the codes/footnotes, using the HelpContext field and how to create =
>additional help windows etc...

>I have started to create a help system for an application, I call =
>Application.HelpCommand(...  from the Help menu-item and that works =
>fine, but how do I bring up help when users press F1??  I thought that =
>was kind of automatic?

If F1 is to do something useful, you have to assign a help context
number to TForm.HelpContext (you'll find it in the Object Inspector).
This help context number must be matched to a string in the [MAP]
section of your help configuration file (see Help Workshop) for
details, and combined into the .rtf file using a # footnote.

For example:

Let's say the help documentation for your form is located in Main.rtf.
Use Help Workshop (or whatever) to assign the match IDH_MAIN to the
1000. Now insert a # footnote in Main.rtf at the beginning of the
file, and make the actual footnote IDH_MAIN. Finally, compile the help
file and set MainForm.HelpContext=100. If you have assigned the name
of the help file on the Applications tab of the Project|Options
window, pressing F1 should bring up the help contents for the form.

Re:Help: Help system step-by-step for newbies

Tor,
  If you look in the Delphi 1.0 Bin directory there is a help file named
Cwh.hlp "Creating Windows Help" that has some of the info your looking for.
 There are also a lot of help file programs out there which greatly
simplify things.  Some are freeware others (like Forehelp which I use) will
cost some $$.

Hope this helps!
--

Rodney E Geraghty
GERA-Tech

Tor Tveitane <bush...@online.no> wrote in article
<6bvs78$q8...@o.online.no>...
Hi,
Where do I find a thorough step-by-step procedure for creating a complete
help system?

I know about compiling RTF files, but I need tips AND examples about all
the codes/footnotes, using the HelpContext field and how to create
additional help windows etc...

I have started to create a help system for an application, I call
Application.HelpCommand(...  from the Help menu-item and that works fine,
but how do I bring up help when users press F1??  I thought that was kind
of automatic?

Thanks in advance

Tor

Re:Help: Help system step-by-step for newbies

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:29:20 GMT, Mauri...@bellsouth.net ({*word*104}cat)
wrote:

I have little to add to the explanation given by {*word*104}cat. Only that I
recommend you get some better tool than just RTF to build your help
files. Have a look at http://www.tornado.be/~johnfg/

Pierre Gemis

Other Threads