Mixing dBase, Pdox and IB6.0 - is it possible?

Hello:

Can I have an application that uses dBase files, Paradox files and IB6.0
tables concurrently?

I thought if I can mix these files together, then I can slowly convert from
dBase & Pdox on a file by file basis?

Does this make any sense?

Thanks for any insights,

Rob.
--------------------------------
A. Robert Thompson
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Delphi 5 Ent, IB6, BDE 5.11, dBase & Paradox tables, Win 98, Win NT
Server, ReportBuilder, InfoPower.

Rob.

Re:Mixing dBase, Pdox and IB6.0 - is it possible?

It certainly can be done. I have had Paradox, Interbase & Access working
together but only as a demo to illustrate a point.

Mike
--
Mike Best Programming
Brisbane

"Robert Thompson" <robert.thomp...@jebcofinancial.com> wrote in message

> Hello:

> Can I have an application that uses dBase files, Paradox files and IB6.0
> tables concurrently?

> I thought if I can mix these files together, then I can slowly convert
from
> dBase & Pdox on a file by file basis?

> Does this make any sense?

> Thanks for any insights,

> Rob.
> --------------------------------
> A. Robert Thompson
> Montreal, Quebec, Canada
> Delphi 5 Ent, IB6, BDE 5.11, dBase & Paradox tables, Win 98, Win NT
> Server, ReportBuilder, InfoPower.

> Rob.

Re:Mixing dBase, Pdox and IB6.0 - is it possible?

Hi!

I have not tried that combination, but I have written an application that
uses Paradox tables and tables on a DB2 (AS/400) at the same time. And that
worked just fine.

I used ODBC to access the DB2 and the regular BDE to access the paradox
tables.

?yvind M
oyv...@etv.no

Robert Thompson <robert.thomp...@jebcofinancial.com> skrev i
meldingsnyheter:3ac1054f_2@dnews...

> Hello:

> Can I have an application that uses dBase files, Paradox files and IB6.0
> tables concurrently?

> I thought if I can mix these files together, then I can slowly convert
from
> dBase & Pdox on a file by file basis?

> Does this make any sense?

> Thanks for any insights,

> Rob.
> --------------------------------
> A. Robert Thompson
> Montreal, Quebec, Canada
> Delphi 5 Ent, IB6, BDE 5.11, dBase & Paradox tables, Win 98, Win NT
> Server, ReportBuilder, InfoPower.

> Rob.

Re:Mixing dBase, Pdox and IB6.0 - is it possible?

I've mixed Dbase IV and Paradox files, including Master/Detail relationships
with both and no problems.

John

Re:Mixing dBase, Pdox and IB6.0 - is it possible?

Thanks, ?yvind

Re:Mixing dBase, Pdox and IB6.0 - is it possible?

Thanks, John.

Re:Mixing dBase, Pdox and IB6.0 - is it possible?

You can do that. The only thing you need to watch out for is join querys.
While the BDE is capable of doing joins across database the performance can
be poor so you should convert all of the tables that need to be joined in a
single query to IB at the same time. You cannot do joins across databases in
any case unless all of the databases are accessed via the BDE and I assume
you are using IBX for Interbase access.

--
Bill

Re:Mixing dBase, Pdox and IB6.0 - is it possible?

Great! Thanks, Bill.

Other Threads