INSTALLING NEW FONTS IN PASCAL?

Hello!

I have a problem.
I have a character set of my own. Each character is described by a 8x12 pixel field. It means
: horizontally: 8 pixles (1 byte), vertically: 12 pixels.
So 12 bytes describes one character.

                xxxxxxxx
                xxxxxxxx
                xxxxxxxx
                xxxxxxxx
                xxxxxxxx
                xxxxxxxx
                xxxxxxxx
                xxxxxxxx
                xxxxxxxx
                xxxxxxxx
                xxxxxxxx
                xxxxxxxx

I would like these charactres to be a .chr font or soemthing that I could use them. Now I
check the bits and if it is 1 I set the pixel with putpixel. This is slow. Is there any way I could
make a font set with these data?
Thanks
Joe

Re:INSTALLING NEW FONTS IN PASCAL?

Joseph Szadai wrote:

> Hello!

> I have a problem.
> I have a character set of my own. Each character is described by a 8x12 pixel field. It means
> : horizontally: 8 pixles (1 byte), vertically: 12 pixels.
> So 12 bytes describes one character.

>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx

> I would like these charactres to be a .chr font or soemthing that I could use them. Now I
> check the bits and if it is 1 I set the pixel with putpixel. This is slow. Is there any way I could
> make a font set with these data?
> Thanks Joe

Install them as EGA/VGA font replacing the ROM - BIOS font.
Look for INT 10H on the Ralph Brown Interrupt table.

Then you can use them with the standard "write" procedure,
on black background.

Franz Glaser

Re:INSTALLING NEW FONTS IN PASCAL?

In article <6q6cav$...@freenet-news.carleton.ca>, Joseph Szadai
<cw...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> writes

>I have a character set of my own. Each character is described by a 8x12 pixel
>field. It means
>: horizontally: 8 pixles (1 byte), vertically: 12 pixels.
>So 12 bytes describes one character.

>I would like these charactres to be a .chr font or soemthing that I
>could use them. Now I check the bits and if it is 1 I set the pixel
>with putpixel. This is slow. Is there any way I could make a font set
>with these data?

Borland/Inprise did distribute a bgi font editor/creator with the
necessary header files to create a bgi .chr font. IIRC, it was called
(one of) BGIFONTn.ZIP where n was, AIIRC, between 1 and 5.

Had a look on Garbo <ftp://garbo/uwasa.fi/pc/> in the turb* dirs but
didn't see it - does not mean that it is not there though - it was a
*quick* look. Might be best to try one of the Simtel Sites - see clpb
mini-FAQ (posted weekly) for a list of sites.

I know I have the five files *somewhere*. If you can't find it on the
net, drop me an email and I'll dig it out.

--
Pedt Scragg                    <newsmas...@pedt.demon.co.uk>

Never curse the Crocodile's mother before crossing the river

Pedt Scragg wrote:
> Borland/Inprise did distribute a bgi font editor/creator with the
> necessary header files to create a bgi .chr font. IIRC, it was called
> (one of) BGIFONTn.ZIP where n was, AIIRC, between 1 and 5.

> Had a look on Garbo <ftp://garbo/uwasa.fi/pc/> in the turb* dirs but
> didn't see it - does not mean that it is not there though - it was a
> *quick* look. Might be best to try one of the Simtel Sites - see clpb
> mini-FAQ (posted weekly) for a list of sites.

> I know I have the five files *somewhere*. If you can't find it on the
> net, drop me an email and I'll dig it out.
> Pedt Scragg                    <newsmas...@pedt.demon.co.uk>

The FE fonteditor is in the BGI chapter of the TP-links site.
But Joszef wanted to use pixelfonts, and this is not compatible
to .CHR.

Franz Glaser

Re:INSTALLING NEW FONTS IN PASCAL?

In article <35C7113A.DA432...@eunet.at>, Ing. Franz Glaser <meg-
gla...@eunet.at> writes

>Pedt Scragg wrote:

>> Borland/Inprise did distribute a bgi font editor/creator with the
>> necessary header files to create a bgi .chr font.
>The FE fonteditor is in the BGI chapter of the TP-links site.

In which case Joseph, the place to go is:

>But Joszef wanted to use pixelfonts, and this is not compatible
>to .CHR.

Errm, he did ask in his original post about creating .chr files which
the Font Editor will produce.

--

Joseph Szadai wrote:

> Hello!

> I have a problem.
> I have a character set of my own. Each character is described by a
> 8x12 pixel field. It means
> : horizontally: 8 pixles (1 byte), vertically: 12 pixels.
> So 12 bytes describes one character.

>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx
>                 xxxxxxxx

> I would like these charactres to be a .chr font or soemthing that I
> could use them. Now I
> check the bits and if it is 1 I set the pixel with putpixel. This is
> slow. Is there any way I could
> make a font set with these data?
> Thanks
> Joe

Bitmapfonts (pixelfonts) are quite slow because of the slow putpixel, so
you should try and find a faster one. If you're using bgi-graphics I
have on in a unit I use for my font-units. Check out the SMGRAF-unit at
my downloadpage and, while you're there, have a look at my
font-collection on the fontpage.

Good luck,

Remco de Korte
http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/

Re:INSTALLING NEW FONTS IN PASCAL?

>But Joszef wanted to use pixelfonts, and this is not compatible
>to .CHR.

Errm, he did ask in his original post about creating .chr files which
the Font Editor will produce.
---
Yes but it seems it is not possible.
However putting the font to the screen with putimage seems good
but in this case the color of the font is always the same.
anyone has a putimage routine where I can give the color of the pixels in the
picture put to the screen?
Joe

Other Threads