How to design application for VGA resolution in higher resolution monitor

I am trying to design application using my high resolution multiscan
monitor to be run under VGA or lower resolution monitor.  How do I go
about it?  Is there a way to customize some template so that it will
draw screen for 640x480 resolution by default?

Thanks.

Re:How to design application for VGA resolution in higher resolution monitor

jonat...@usaep.org (C. Jonathan Sun) wrote:

>I am trying to design application using my high resolution multiscan
>monitor to be run under VGA or lower resolution monitor.  How do I go
>about it?  Is there a way to customize some template so that it will
>draw screen for 640x480 resolution by default?
>Thanks.

We're having like problems with an app that must run on screens,
*regardless of font size*. I.e., if we create the screen lay-out of
the app on a machine using 'normal fonts', then it currently looks
strange (buttons out of place etc.) when run on a machine with 'large
fonts' enabled.
A very crude workaround would be to create to versions of the program,
but as it's going to be distributed to 1000's of users, this seems
rather inappropriate.

I'd really be very pleased if someone could give me a solution to this
one!

Thanks,
Nicholas Drayer
ndra...@sierrasys.com

Re:How to design application for VGA resolution in higher resolution monitor

>>I am trying to design application using my high resolution multiscan
>>monitor to be run under VGA or lower resolution monitor.
>We're having like problems with an app that must run on screens,
>*regardless of font size*.

Have a look at Screan Dream:

        3 Components:   device-independent,
                        tiling background,
                        client move components.
        Create toolbars with two lines of code!

You can find a trial copy at most Delphi FTP sites, specifically:

        ftp://ftp.teleport.com/vendors/mrgrumph/scndrm

or E-mail the author:

        John Reynolds <jre...@rt66.com>

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Rafe

 Rafe Aldridge - r...@rcai.demon.co.uk - Oxfordshire, England.
 Computer Consultant and Applications Programmer

Nicholas M. Drayer wrote:

> jonat...@usaep.org (C. Jonathan Sun) wrote:

> >I am trying to design application using my high resolution multiscan
> >monitor to be run under VGA or lower resolution monitor.  How do I go
> >about it?  Is there a way to customize some template so that it will
> >draw screen for 640x480 resolution by default?

> >Thanks.

> We're having like problems with an app that must run on screens,
> *regardless of font size*. I.e., if we create the screen lay-out of
> the app on a machine using 'normal fonts', then it currently looks
> strange (buttons out of place etc.) when run on a machine with 'large
> fonts' enabled.
> A very crude workaround would be to create to versions of the program,
> but as it's going to be distributed to 1000's of users, this seems
> rather inappropriate.

> I'd really be very pleased if someone could give me a solution to this
> one!

> Thanks,
> Nicholas Drayer
> ndra...@sierrasys.com

I had a similar problem and found that by changing all the TFont properties
of all the controls so that the TFont.Pitch := fpVariable and setting these
form properties:
TForm.Scaled := False
TForm.AutoScroll := False

solved the problem.

Hope this helps.

        Gary Sperduto

Klaus Petersen (k...@diku.dk) wrote:

: ndra...@sierrasys.com (Nicholas M. Drayer) writes:

: >jonat...@usaep.org (C. Jonathan Sun) wrote:

: >>I am trying to design application using my high resolution multiscan
: >>monitor to be run under VGA or lower resolution monitor.  How do I go
: >>about it?  Is there a way to customize some template so that it will
: >>draw screen for 640x480 resolution by default?

: >>Thanks.

A simple, "low-tech" aid is to draw yourself a wallpaper with a 648x480
rectangle in the center and make sure you work within it !!!

Regards,

Martin Bradford

Other Threads