Using CachedUpdates in TTable component

Hello !

In an application I have to do some complicated processing on several
databases. This includes data which in no way should be lost. So I have to
build in some security.

So I thought, why not use the cached updates functionality of a table. It
seems that the not applied records are not updated in the index. However, I
need this Index, since the freshly inserted record are used in processing as
well.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Roy

Re:Using CachedUpdates in TTable component

Use transactions instead of cached updates (look for
StartTransaction/Commit/Rollback in the Delphi help).

"Roy Rutten" <remove.no.junkmail.roy.rut...@xarmac.nl> schreef in bericht

> Hello !

> In an application I have to do some complicated processing on several
> databases. This includes data which in no way should be lost. So I have to
> build in some security.

> So I thought, why not use the cached updates functionality of a table. It
> seems that the not applied records are not updated in the index. However,
> need this Index, since the freshly inserted record are used in processing
as
> well.

> Any suggestions ?

> Thanks,

> Roy

Re:Using CachedUpdates in TTable component

Thanks for the help !

Roy

M.H. Avegaart <avega...@NOSPAMmccomm.nl> schreef in berichtnieuws
8i7olc$fj...@porthos.nl.uu.net...

> Use transactions instead of cached updates (look for
> StartTransaction/Commit/Rollback in the Delphi help).

> "Roy Rutten" <remove.no.junkmail.roy.rut...@xarmac.nl> schreef in bericht
> > Hello !

> > In an application I have to do some complicated processing on several
> > databases. This includes data which in no way should be lost. So I have
> > build in some security.

> > So I thought, why not use the cached updates functionality of a table.
It
> > seems that the not applied records are not updated in the index.
However,
> > need this Index, since the freshly inserted record are used in
processing
> as
> > well.

> > Any suggestions ?

> > Thanks,

> > Roy

Re:Using CachedUpdates in TTable component

I've tried using a TDataBase component. All works fine, until the number of
records to be added/deleted/modified exceeds 255. Can this boundary be
adjusted in some way?

Thanks,

Roy

M.H. Avegaart <avega...@NOSPAMmccomm.nl> schreef in berichtnieuws
8i7olc$fj...@porthos.nl.uu.net...

> Use transactions instead of cached updates (look for
> StartTransaction/Commit/Rollback in the Delphi help).

> "Roy Rutten" <remove.no.junkmail.roy.rut...@xarmac.nl> schreef in bericht
> > Hello !

> > In an application I have to do some complicated processing on several
> > databases. This includes data which in no way should be lost. So I have
> > build in some security.

> > So I thought, why not use the cached updates functionality of a table.
It
> > seems that the not applied records are not updated in the index.
However,
> > need this Index, since the freshly inserted record are used in
processing
> as
> > well.

> > Any suggestions ?

> > Thanks,

> > Roy

Re:Using CachedUpdates in TTable component

That depends on the type of database you are using...

> I've tried using a TDataBase component. All works fine, until the number
of
> records to be added/deleted/modified exceeds 255. Can this boundary be
> adjusted in some way?

> Thanks,

> Roy

> M.H. Avegaart <avega...@NOSPAMmccomm.nl> schreef in berichtnieuws
> 8i7olc$fj...@porthos.nl.uu.net...
> > Use transactions instead of cached updates (look for
> > StartTransaction/Commit/Rollback in the Delphi help).

> > "Roy Rutten" <remove.no.junkmail.roy.rut...@xarmac.nl> schreef in
bericht
> > > Hello !

> > > In an application I have to do some complicated processing on several
> > > databases. This includes data which in no way should be lost. So I
have
> > > build in some security.

> > > So I thought, why not use the cached updates functionality of a table.
> It
> > > seems that the not applied records are not updated in the index.
> However,
> > > need this Index, since the freshly inserted record are used in
> processing
> > as
> > > well.

> > > Any suggestions ?

> > > Thanks,

> > > Roy

Re:Using CachedUpdates in TTable component

This might help.

I needed a table to be posted to the disk right away. I wrote some
software for a golf course and they found that some of their teetimes
were just disappearing. I posted here for help and was told about
DbiSaveChanges so I built it into my code. Haven't had any problems
since... knock on wood :-)

In the AfterPost event of each table I used the following code.

procedure TDataModule.Table1AfterPost(DataSet: TDataSet);
begin
   DbiSaveChanges(Table1.Handle);
end;

As I understand it this dumps the data right to hard drive. I also
needed this to happen so that other computers on the network could see
the changes right away as well.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers
Don

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:00:52 +0200, "Roy Rutten"

<remove.no.junkmail.roy.rut...@xarmac.nl> wrote:
>Hello !

>In an application I have to do some complicated processing on several
>databases. This includes data which in no way should be lost. So I have to
>build in some security.

>So I thought, why not use the cached updates functionality of a table. It
>seems that the not applied records are not updated in the index. However, I
>need this Index, since the freshly inserted record are used in processing as
>well.

>Any suggestions ?

>Thanks,

>Roy

Re:Using CachedUpdates in TTable component

Thanks for the help. Might need this in the future.

However, I need something which doesn't write changes to disk, as long as I
don't want to. This has to do with error recovery. When someting goes wrong,
the used databases should not be affected.

Roy

Don <donwa...@thezone.net> schreef in berichtnieuws
m6pfksoeirtthdifkng2fnd1d8nvas7...@4ax.com...

> This might help.

> I needed a table to be posted to the disk right away. I wrote some
> software for a golf course and they found that some of their teetimes
> were just disappearing. I posted here for help and was told about
> DbiSaveChanges so I built it into my code. Haven't had any problems
> since... knock on wood :-)

> In the AfterPost event of each table I used the following code.

> procedure TDataModule.Table1AfterPost(DataSet: TDataSet);
> begin
>    DbiSaveChanges(Table1.Handle);
> end;

> As I understand it this dumps the data right to hard drive. I also
> needed this to happen so that other computers on the network could see
> the changes right away as well.

> Hope this helps a bit.

> Cheers
> Don

> On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:00:52 +0200, "Roy Rutten"
> <remove.no.junkmail.roy.rut...@xarmac.nl> wrote:

> >Hello !

> >In an application I have to do some complicated processing on several
> >databases. This includes data which in no way should be lost. So I have
> >build in some security.

> >So I thought, why not use the cached updates functionality of a table. It
> >seems that the not applied records are not updated in the index. However,
> >need this Index, since the freshly inserted record are used in processing
as
> >well.

> >Any suggestions ?

> >Thanks,

> >Roy

Re:Using CachedUpdates in TTable component

I'm using Paradox databases. Do other types support a bigger record cache ?

8i83fm$np...@porthos.nl.uu.net...

> That depends on the type of database you are using...

> "Roy Rutten" <remove.no.junkmail.roy.rut...@xarmac.nl> schreef in bericht
> > I've tried using a TDataBase component. All works fine, until the number
> of
> > records to be added/deleted/modified exceeds 255. Can this boundary be
> > adjusted in some way?

> > Thanks,

> > Roy

> > M.H. Avegaart <avega...@NOSPAMmccomm.nl> schreef in berichtnieuws
> > 8i7olc$fj...@porthos.nl.uu.net...
> > > Use transactions instead of cached updates (look for
> > > StartTransaction/Commit/Rollback in the Delphi help).

> > > "Roy Rutten" <remove.no.junkmail.roy.rut...@xarmac.nl> schreef in
> bericht

> have

> > It