Paradox Problems D2

I'm trying to create a multiuser DB program using Paradox and Delphi 2.0
I have 3 computers.  1 server (Novell Netware 4.10) and 2 workstations
(Win 95). All the netfiledirs in the workstations (Paradox Driver -
BDECFG) points to the same directory, in the server, and local share
it's set to true.
But when i try to load the program in the 2 computers at the same time I
receiv the message "Cannot Acess Directory" or "Unable to Open File -
"Cannot Acess Directory. File: - F:\dir\Pdoxusrs.lck".
What is wrong???????????

Re:Paradox Problems D2

Francisco Jose Isa Silveirinha wrote:

> I'm trying to create a multiuser DB program using Paradox and Delphi 2.0
> I have 3 computers.  1 server (Novell Netware 4.10) and 2 workstations
> (Win 95). All the netfiledirs in the workstations (Paradox Driver -
> BDECFG) points to the same directory, in the server, and local share
> it's set to true.
> But when i try to load the program in the 2 computers at the same time I
> receiv the message "Cannot Acess Directory" or "Unable to Open File -
> "Cannot Acess Directory. File: - F:\dir\Pdoxusrs.lck".
> What is wrong???????????

Did you give users sufficient access to the directory/file ?

Aage J.

Re:Paradox Problems D2

All users need to have read/write rights, do they have that?

Attached are two Borland Technical Information Sheets that

1) Descripe IDAPI errors
2) Descripe Installing Paradox 7 and BDE 3

I hope your problem is solved

--
Michael

** Remove <junk-mail> to reply. Tired of unwanted mail **

[ bde30.txt 20K ]

  PRODUCT  :  Paradox                               NUMBER  :  2960
  VERSION  :  7
       OS  :  Windows 95/NT
     DATE  :  April 4, 1996                           PAGE  :  1/11

    TITLE  :  Paradox 7 Installation: Step by Step Procedures

  Intended Audience:
  ------------------
  Users who have questions about how to install Paradox 7 for
  Windows 95 & Windows NT

  Prerequisites:
  --------------

     -  You are using Windows 95 or version 3.51 of Windows NT.
     -  You have Paradox 7 for Windows 95 & Windows NT.
     -  You have read the README.WRI file.
     -  You have read the Quick Start manual (Chapter 1,
        Appendix B, and C).

  Purpose of this TI:
  -------------------
  This document steps you through installing Paradox 7 on a
  standalone workstation or on a network.  There may be some
  differences between installing on Windows 95 and Windows NT &
  they are addressed in this document.  This document provides
  greater detail about installing Paradox 7 than what is covered in
  the README.WRI file and the Quick Start manual (Chapter 1,
  Appendix B, and C).

  Note: This document uses the following abbreviations for registry
  keys:

       [HKCR] = HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
       [HKLM] = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
       [HKCU] = HKEY_CURRENT_USER

  Standard Paradox Installation
  -----------------------------

  The following steps you through installing Paradox on a
  standalone workstation.

  To install Paradox under Windows 95 from CD-ROM:

       Click the Start button, then click Run, and type
       D:\SETUP\SETUP.EXE (where D: is your CD-ROM drive).
       Press [Enter].

  PRODUCT  :  Paradox                               NUMBER  :  2960
  VERSION  :  7
       OS  :  Windows 95/NT
     DATE  :  April 4, 1996                           PAGE  :  2/11

    TITLE  :  Paradox 7 Installation: Step by Step Procedures

  To install Paradox under Windows 95 from 3.5" disks:

       Click the Start button, then click Run, and type
       A:\SETUP (where A: is where your 3.5 inch disk drive
       is located).  Press [Enter].

  To install Paradox under Windows NT from CD-ROM:

       From the Program Manager Group, choose File | Run,
       then type D:\SETUP\SETUP.EXE (where D: is your CD-ROM
       drive).  Press [Enter].

  To install Paradox under Windows NT from 3.5" disks:

       From the Program Manager Group, choose File | Run,
       then type A:\SETUP (where A: is where your 3.5 inch disk
       drive is located).  Press [Enter].

  Paradox loads into memory and then checks the TEMP directory for
  enough temporary space.

  SETUP.EXE launches the Paradox installation.  It finds the
  temporary directory, copies SETUP.CFG, and expands the files
  INSTRUN.EX_, INSTXTRA.PAK, BAMGR32.DL_, and DECOMPLE.EX_ into
  that directory.  INSTRUN.EXE is then executed, which is the main
  installation program.  Much of the information about the files
  that will be installed is stored in SETUP.CFG.  This file shows
  groups of files, where their default locations are, and if they
  are on or off by default.

  The installation then gathers the following information:

  -    The user's name and company are gathered if already in
       the registry or WIN.INI file.  It looks in the registry
       area [HKCU]\Software\Borland\Paradox\7.0\Configuration
       before looking in the WIN.INI file.
  -    The existing Paradox location if already in the
       registry:  [HKCR]\PdoxwinReport\Shell\Open\Command
  -    The existing BDE and IDAPI32.CFG locations if they are
       already in the registry:
       [HKLM]\Software\Borland\Database Engine\Configfile01 and
       DLLPATH

  PRODUCT  :  Paradox                               NUMBER  :  2960
  VERSION  :  7
       OS  :  Windows 95/NT
     DATE  :  April 4, 1996                           PAGE  :  3/11

    TITLE  :  Paradox 7 Installation: Step by Step Procedures

  -    If it doesn't find the BDE and IDAPI32.CFG locations in
       the registry, it looks in the WIN.INI for IDAPI.  If it
       doesn't find IDAPI in the WIN.INI, then it looks for
       ODAPI in the WIN.INI.
  -    It checks to see if you are running the install from the
       CD-ROM.

  The Standard Workstation Install asks you for the following:

  1.   User Registration:

       The information you enter into the Name and Company fields
       in the User Registration dialog box is written to the
       registry and is used when Paradox starts up.  The Name field
       is required; however the Company field is optional.

  2.   If you are running the install from the CD-ROM, you are
       asked if you want to run the Help from the CD-ROM or if you
       want to install the Help to your hard disk.

  3.   Installation Type:

       There are three different types of installations:

       Typical: Installs all Paradox components: Paradox, Borland
                Database Engine (BDE), Samples, Experts, and
                Paradox Help Files.

       Compact: Installs only the basic components needed to run
                Paradox (Paradox and the Borland Database Engine
                (BDE)).

       Custom:  Installs the Paradox components that you select.
                The Installation Options dialog box prompts you
                to select the groups of files (listed in the
                "Typical" setup) to install.

  4.   Installation Path:

       Type the path of the directory where you want to install
       Paradox.  If a previous version of Paradox 7 has been
       installed, it will be overwritten.

  PRODUCT  :  Paradox                               NUMBER  :  2960
  VERSION  :  7
       OS  :  Windows 95/NT
     DATE  :  April 4, 1996                           PAGE  :  4/11

    TITLE  :  Paradox 7 Installation: Step by Step Procedures

  5.   BDE Location Settings: The Borland Database Engine (BDE) is
       a shared component for all Borland database applications
       that run in Windows.  It includes a number of Dynamic Link
       Libraries (DLLs), Local Libraries (BLLs), the BDE
       Configuration Utility, and other support files.

       Program Files Location:  This specifies a location for the
       BDE program files.

       Configuration File Location:  This specifies a location for
       the BDE configuration file used with the BDE Configuration
       Utility.  Paradox suggests using the default selections
       because if another 32-bit BDE client is found in the
       registry, this will be the default BDE location.

  After entering the above information, the installation program
  will check all drives you are attached to and compare the disk
  space that is available with what is needed.  If there isn't
  enough disk space, you will be warned and asked if you want to
  continue with the install.

  Network Paradox Installation (Network Administrator Setup)

  For CD-ROM under Windows 95:

       Click the Start button, then click Run, and type
            D:\SETUP\SETUP /N
       (where D: is your CD-ROM drive).  Press [Enter].

  For 3.5" disks under Windows 95:

       Click the Start button, then click Run, and type
            A:\SETUP /N
       (where A: is the location of your 3.5 inch disk drive).
       Press [Enter].

  For CD-ROM under Windows NT:

       From the Program Manager Group, choose File | Run, and type
            D:\SETUP\SETUP /N
       (where D: is your CD-ROM drive).  Press [Enter].

  PRODUCT  :  Paradox                               NUMBER  :  2960
  VERSION  :  7
       OS  :  Windows 95/NT
     DATE  :  April 4, 1996                           PAGE  :  5/11

    TITLE  :  Paradox 7 Installation: Step by Step Procedures

  For 3.5" disks under Windows NT:

       From the Program Manager Group, choose File | Run, and type
            A:\SETUP /N
       (where A: is the location of your 3.5 inch disk drive).
       Press [Enter].

  Before running the Network Administrator Setup, you should have
  answers to the following questions:

  Files:

  1.   Where should the Workstation Setup files be installed?
  2.   Should the following components be installed to the network
       or to each workstation's local drive?  (Paradox, BDE, Sample
       files, Experts, Paradox help).
  3.   What should the drive and path designations be for each?

  Configuration:

  1.   If the install locations are on a network drive, what access
       rights will users have to these locations?
  2.   If users do not have write access to these locations, you
       should choose to place locks on these locations from the
       appropriate Paradox Setup dialog box.

  NOTE:  Installing components to the network saves local disk
         space; however, performance over a network is usually
         slower than running locally.

  The Network Administrator Setup does the following:

  -    It installs Paradox to the network.
  -    It copies the Paradox installation disks to the network.
  -    It lets you configure the default settings that are used
       during the individual workstation setup.
  -    It installs a workstation setup program (or two programs, if
       you want).  When the Network Administrator Setup is
       complete, individual users can run one of the Workstation
       Setup programs.

  PRODUCT  :  Paradox                               NUMBER  :  2960
  VERSION  :  7
       OS  :  Windows 95/NT
     DATE  :  April 4, 1996                           PAGE  :  6/11

    TITLE  :  Paradox 7 Installation: Step by Step Procedures

  Paradox Setup then prompts you for the following information:

  1.   Paradox Workstation Setup Options and Location: The Network
       Administrator Setup program copies all installation and
       compressed data files to the network location that you
       specify and enables you to define the configuration to be
       used by the Workstation Setup

read more »

[ idapiErr.txt 12K ]
  PRODUCT  :  Paradox                                NUMBER  :  2733
  VERSION  :  5.0
       OS  :  WIN
     DATE  :  February 1, 1995                         PAGE  :  1/8

    TITLE  :  Troubleshooting IDAPI Error Messages

Intended Audience:
Paradox 5.0 for Windows users

Prerequisites:
Familiarity with Paradox 5.0 for Windows

Purpose of the TI:
The purpose of this document is to clarify some of the common
questions concerning IDAPI and to aid in the troubleshooting of
errors associated with the IDAPI files.

IDAPI is an acronym for "Independent Database Application
Programming Interface."  IDAPI is the database engine used by
Paradox 5.0 for Windows and dBASE for Windows.  Older versions of
Paradox for Windows and Quattro Pro for Windows use a similar
database engine called ODAPI.

The IDAPI database engine acts as an intermediary between the
database application (Paradox for Windows or dBASE for Windows)
and the underlying tables.  Whenever the database application
requests information from a table or needs to perform an
operation on a table, it passes its request to IDAPI, which
ensures that the information is obtained properly and the tables
reflect the change.

               GENERAL PROTECTION FAULTS AND CORRUPT FILES

IDAPI performs data-related operations like sorting, filtering,
indexing, importing, exporting, locating, copying, and emptying.
When the IDAPI database engine encounters an unexpected
condition, such as a corrupt table, it usually responds with an
error message.  IDAPI may produce an error message like "File
corrupt other than header" or in some other instances, one of the
IDAPI program modules may produce a General Protection Fault.  If
you receive a General Protection Fault and the name of the module
that produces the error message starts with "I," such as
IDAPI01.DLL, IDQRY01.DLL, or ILD01.DLL, then the error was
discovered by an IDAPI module.

When this type of problem occurs, the first plan of action is to
verify that the tables you are using are free from corruption and
to rebuild those tables if necessary.  You can verify and rebuild
the structures of your tables by choosing Tools | Utilities |
Table Repair.  For instructions on how to operate this utility,
refer to the Online Help.

Since manipulation of databases can use large amounts of memory,
the second course of action should be to analyze your system's
memory resources and employ some memory management strategies
such as those provided in Technical Information Sheets #1281
"Improving Performance: Get the Most from 4 MB of RAM" and #1283
"Simplifying Your Windows System."

              ERRORS WHEN STARTING PARADOX 5.0 FOR WINDOWS

ERROR:  "Could not initialize IDAPI:."

CAUSE:   If you attempt to launch Paradox for Windows and you get
this error message with no additional explanation, it is likely
that Paradox cannot find the IDAPI files.  It is also possible
that IDAPI is configured with too large a buffer size.

IDAPI buffer too large:

For optimal performance, the minimum buffer size for IDAPI should
be one third of the available extended memory, and the maximum
buffer size should be two thirds of the available extended
memory.  You will get this error message when you launch Paradox
for Windows if you specify a minimum buffer size that is too
large for your workstation to accommodate.

To configure the buffer setting, launch the IDAPI Configuration
Utility and choose Pages | System.  Change the MINBUFSIZE and the
MAXBUFSIZE entries to the proper values.  Choose File | Save to
update the configuration and try to re-launch Paradox for
Windows.

Missing IDAPI files:

Paradox usually places the IDAPI files in a directory named
IDAPI, but you could have specified a different directory when
Paradox was installed.  If you cannot find the IDAPI files, you
can use File Manager to search for the file IDAPI01.DLL.  If File
Manager cannot find the files, the files may have been deleted,
renamed, or never installed.  Run the installation program and
choose the "Custom Installation" option to reinstall the IDAPI
files.

If you do find the IDAPI files, note the drive and directory
where these files reside and compare it with the DLLPATH setting
in WIN.INI.  To check the DLLPATH setting, open the WIN.INI file
using NOTEPAD or some comparable text editor and search for the
section called "[IDAPI]".  There should be a line in the
"[IDAPI]" section that starts with "DLLPATH=" that indicates
where Paradox can find the IDAPI files.  If the path that follows
is invalid or incorrect, change it so that it points to the
directory where you found the IDAPI files.

ERROR:  "Could not initialize IDAPI:." Directory is busy

CAUSE:   If you attempt to launch Paradox for Windows and you get
this error message, it is likely that you are attempting to share
a private directory with some other session of Paradox for
Windows.  This occurs when Paradox for Windows is configured
incorrectly on a network, or when a user unintentionally launches
a second session of Paradox on the same workstation.  This can
also occur if you attempt to launch Paradox for Windows after
receiving a General Protection Fault or Stack Fault without first
restarting Windows.

Problems caused by sharing private directories:

Each network user of Paradox requires his own private directory.
To determine the private directory that Paradox uses, launch the
Local Settings Utility program and check the Private Directory
setting.  If it is set to a directory that you know is shared by
other network users, you must change it to another directory.
Local hard drives with adequate disk space are often good
choices, and so-called "home" directories on network servers are
also satisfactory.

Launching Paradox twice:

If you are not sharing a private directory with other network
users or you are not recovering from a General Protection Fault,
this error may be caused by attempting to run a second session of
Paradox on the workstation.

If you get this error, close the error dialog box and check the
Program Manager Task List (press [Ctrl+Esc]) to see if Paradox is
already running.  If Paradox for Windows appears on the list,
select it and choose Switch To.  If Paradox doesn't immediately
become visible, check the screen for a very small Paradox window,
perhaps in the upper-left corner of the screen, that shows the
letters "Parad").  You can maximize or resize the screen to
return to Paradox for Windows.

If you cannot locate the screen, it may be that Paradox has been
hidden by some application that you were running.  Try closing
Paradox from the Program Manager Task List (press [Ctrl+Esc],
choose Paradox for Windows, and choose End Task).  Then you can
launch Paradox for Windows without the error.

If you want to run more than one session of Paradox for Windows
on the same system, you must specify a different private
directory for each session.  You can do this with the -p command-
line option.  Refer to the entry for Command-Line Configuration
in the Paradox for Windows Online help for information on -p and
other command-line options.  For detailed information on
establishing more than one session of Paradox for Windows, refer
to Technical Information Sheet #1312 "Running Multiple Sessions
on a Single Computer."

Recovering from a General Protection Fault:

If you encounter a General Protection Fault or a Stack Fault in
Paradox for Windows, you are often given the choice to ignore the
error or close Paradox for Windows.  Closing Paradox does not
remove all components of Paradox from memory; so if you try to
restart Paradox for Windows after getting a fault, you will get
the "Directory is busy" error message.

The easiest way to fix this problem is to exit and re-start
Windows.  This frees all of the Paradox for Windows modules from
memory, and enables you to launch Paradox without this error.

ERROR:  "Could not initialize IDAPI.: Corrupt system
        configuration file."

CAUSE:  This error indicates that the IDAPI Configuration File is
either corrupt, missing, or otherwise invalid.

SOLUTION:  Run the Local Settings Utility and make sure that the
IDAPI Configuration File is set to IDAPI.CFG.  By default, this
file is located in the IDAPI directory.  If this is specified
correctly, you need to reinstall the IDAPI files.

ERROR:  "Could not initialize IDAPI.: SHARE not loaded.  It is
        required to share local files."
              or
        "Share must be loaded to initialize IDAPI with Local
        Share set to TRUE." followed by "Error initializing
        IDAPI."

CAUSE:  This error is caused when the LOCAL SHARE setting for
IDAPI.CFG is set to TRUE, but SHARE.EXE was not loaded.  You can
also receive this error when Object Exchange is loaded before
Paradox for Windows when SHARE is not loaded.

SOLUTION:  If you plan to run concurrent sessions of Paradox for
Windows on the same computer, or if you are sharing files on a
peer-to-peer network, you need to load SHARE.EXE before launching
Windows.  You can specify SHARE.EXE in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file
before you load Windows, with these parameters:

     SHARE /F:4096 /L:400

If you have no reason to load SHARE, you can run the IDAPI
Configuration Utility, change the LOCAL SHARE setting to FALSE,
save your settings, exit the IDAPI Configuration Utility, and
launch Paradox for Windows again.

ERROR:  "Could not initialize IDAPI.: Not initialized for
         accessing network files."

CAUSE:  This error is often caused by missing network control
files.  These files keep track of the file locking and make it
possible for users to share data on a network.  Without them,
Paradox for Windows does not permit access to network drives.

SOLUTION: You can specify your network control file directory by
using the IDAPI Configuration Utility program.  For information
on the IDAPI Configuration Utility,

read more »

Re:Paradox Problems D2

Francisco Jose Isa Silveirinha schrieb in Nachricht
<34F5F6FF.5...@mail.telepac.pt>...

>I'm trying to create a multiuser DB program using Paradox and Delphi 2.0
>I have 3 computers.  1 server (Novell Netware 4.10) and 2 workstations
>(Win 95). All the netfiledirs in the workstations (Paradox Driver -
>BDECFG) points to the same directory, in the server, and local share
>it's set to true.
>But when i try to load the program in the 2 computers at the same time I
>receiv the message "Cannot Acess Directory" or "Unable to Open File -
>"Cannot Acess Directory. File: - F:\dir\Pdoxusrs.lck".
>What is wrong???????????

Set local share to false, it's only necessary in peer-to-peer (e.g. row
win3.11 pcs.
The novell-users must have all rights except supervisory (not only read and
write).
Look at existing files *.lck und *.net on the novell server and the client
computers and delete them.

Heiko

Other Threads