HELP: Writing a simple sound editor.

Hi, I need to write a simple sound editor using delphi 4/5, as part of
a larger project.
Does anyone know of a control/example that will allow me to load a wav
file, and display the wave form on the screen?
I need some basic functions to allow me to have a cursor line showing
the current position during play back, and a way of t{*word*220} the wavs
between areas selected on the wave form. Playback of selected area
would be nice too, as would normalise, but I can do without those if I
have to.
I have seen the tools from www.swiftsoft.de and they look very nice,
just a bit expensive for the simple functions that I want.

Also as a slight extra (but not essential) does anyone know of an
audio format converting routine/routines to go to and from wav and
alaw/ulaw.

Many thanks for any help/suggestions.

Dodgy.

Re:HELP: Writing a simple sound editor.

In article <TvB=OGBEvTquZ93xt6hIv9d+2...@4ax.com>, Dodgy <Do...@uk.earth>
writes:

>Hi, I need to write a simple sound editor using delphi 4/5, as part of
>a larger project.

A sound editor is not simple <g>. You can extract the PCM data from the .wav
file (follows the bytes "data" and the amount of data (four bytes)) then as
appropriate to the wave format, (found from the WaveFormat structure following
the bytes "fmt " plus size in the .wav file) show every byte (8-bit mono),
average of each pair of bytes (8-bit stereo or 16-bit mono), or average of each
four bytes (16-bit stereo) as a plotted line on an image. Any inserts or
deletions must be reflected in the data size value read back to the file.

Playing is relatively easy by calling mciPlay with the starting and ending
times or frames.

Conversions between formats use ACM (Audio Compression Manager) and are the
another level of complexity above a "simple" audio editor <g>.

Search for (Find) "mci_" in MMSystem.hlp. and "ACM_" in Win32.hlp.

Alan Lloyd
alangll...@aol.com

Re:HELP: Writing a simple sound editor.

In article <TvB=OGBEvTquZ93xt6hIv9d+2...@4ax.com>, Do...@uk.earth says...

>Hi, I need to write a simple sound editor using delphi 4/5, as part of
>a larger project.

Do you need a stand alone editor or a component?  I have a sound editor
that is free, documented, but it is stand alone.  It does what you want and
edits wav and au files.  Its part of a larger package and can be found at
www.mertus.org, look under download bliss, MeV95.

I'd offer you the component, but its huge and layered on many other
components.  If you need PCM to uLaw I have some simple code that does it.

-John_Mer...@Brown.EDU

PS:  Do...@uk.earth does not seem to be a valid address, Please, if you
expect a reply, make sure we can find your address.

>Does anyone know of a control/example that will allow me to load a wav
>file, and display the wave form on the screen?
>I need some basic functions to allow me to have a cursor line showing
>the current position during play back, and a way of t{*word*220} the wavs
>between areas selected on the wave form. Playback of selected area
>would be nice too, as would normalise, but I can do without those if I
>have to.
>I have seen the tools from www.swiftsoft.de and they look very nice,
>just a bit expensive for the simple functions that I want.

>Also as a slight extra (but not essential) does anyone know of an
>audio format converting routine/routines to go to and from wav and
>alaw/ulaw.

>Many thanks for any help/suggestions.

>Dodgy.

Other Threads