Database xyz already has an active transaction

I have a database connection established through a TDatabase component to
IB4.2 using BDE 4.0. If I stop and restart the Local IB I obviously lose
the connection. If I do a Database.Connect := False follow by
Database.Connect := True I can
reestablish the connection. My problem occurs if I was in a transaction
when the database was shut down. After I reestablish the connection if I
try Database.StartTransaction I get the error Database xyz already has an
active transaction. If I try Database.Rollback I get one of two messages
'No user transaction is currently in progress' or 'Invalid handle to
function', depending one whether or not I closed and reopened the session
between reconnecting to the database.

How do I clear this transaction so that I can start another one?

thx
Jeff