Heads-up: problems observed using BDE-16 and BDE-32 simultaneously

I have observed, and continue to investigate, the issue that BDE-16 and
BDE-32 do not always seem to work well together with respect to the
all-important locking protocols.  It seems appropriate for me to
recommend, then, that one should avoid getting into any situation where
16-bit and 32-bit applications are accessing the same databases at the
same time, without carefully testing the scenario first in actual
practice at your site.

In the tests I am conducting, BDE-16 2.52 is pitted against various
BDE-32's. Both of them specify LOCAL SHARE = TRUE (although I'm toggling
this switch and I do notice a response), and most importantly, both of
them DO specify the same NET FILE DIR.

Some of the outcomes I have observed thus far are:

   * A 16-bit and a 32-bit session can place conflicting locks or be
unaware
     of one another's locks.

   * A session can encounter a "sharing violation" or "access is denied"
     result from DOS, and is sometimes badly surprised by that.

   * In certain operations, file damage has been observed due to
conflicting
     activity (no surprises here, if the locking is not working as
expected).

If you have encountered similar behavior (or unexplained behavior) at
your practice, it would be very helpful to start a meaningful thread off
this message.

Various environments have been tested:  Win95, Win98, and so on.  Tests
can and have been constructed on -single- machine environments, strongly
implying that not too many outside factors are likely to be contributors
here.  This ought to be a situation that can be fairly quickly stripped
down to an "easy test case," but by myself I'm encountering mixed
results.

Ladies and gentlemen around the globe, start your internet!  ;-)

> Got Paradox/Delphi database headaches?  ChimneySweep{tm} can help, FAST!
> http://www.sundialservices.com/cs3web.htm

Re:Heads-up: problems observed using BDE-16 and BDE-32 simultaneously

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:31:10 -0700, Sundial Services

<i...@sundialservices.com> wrote:
>I have observed, and continue to investigate, the issue that BDE-16 and
>BDE-32 do not always seem to work well together with respect to the
>all-important locking protocols.  It seems appropriate for me to
>recommend, then, that one should avoid getting into any situation where
>16-bit and 32-bit applications are accessing the same databases at the
>same time, without carefully testing the scenario first in actual
>practice at your site.

[...]

Forwarded to the BDE development team.

                                                              -- Redd Foxx

Re:Heads-up: problems observed using BDE-16 and BDE-32 simultaneously

In article <380cf16c.27003...@news.gte.net>,
  koter...@NOSPAMgte.net wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:31:10 -0700, Sundial Services
> <i...@sundialservices.com> wrote:

> >I have observed, and continue to investigate, the issue that BDE-16
and
> >BDE-32 do not always seem to work well together with respect to the
> >all-important locking protocols.  It seems appropriate for me to
> >recommend, then, that one should avoid getting into any situation
where
> >16-bit and 32-bit applications are accessing the same databases at
the
> >same time, without carefully testing the scenario first in actual
> >practice at your site.

> [...]

> Forwarded to the BDE development team.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/

> Steve Koterski              "Health nuts are going to feel stupid
someday,
> Felton, CA                  lying in hospitals dying of nothing."
>                                                               -- Redd
Foxx

I experienced this after moving from a Novell environment to NT. A third
party product was 16bit BDE Delphi and those users would lock other
32bit users out of any directories they shared. We were unable to find a
solution other than creating a second netdir for the 16bit application.
The users have two config files idapi16.cfg and idapi32.cfg one pointing
to \netdir16 and the other to \netdir32. There is a win31 option which
needs to be unchecked when saving the 32bit cfg.
Fintan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Re:Heads-up: problems observed using BDE-16 and BDE-32 simultaneously

Hmm... that configuration scares me, because I would think that having
two different net file directories is a certain recipe for
file-corruption.  But will someone else on the forum please speak to
this?

Relevant to my original posting is that I have observed this behavior on
a -single- machine that is -not- networked.  Hmm..

>finta...@my-deja.com wrote:

> I experienced this after moving from a Novell environment to NT. A third
> party product was 16bit BDE Delphi and those users would lock other
> 32bit users out of any directories they shared. We were unable to find a
> solution other than creating a second netdir for the 16bit application.
> The users have two config files idapi16.cfg and idapi32.cfg one pointing
> to \netdir16 and the other to \netdir32. There is a win31 option which
> needs to be unchecked when saving the 32bit cfg.
> Fintan

> Got Paradox/Delphi database headaches?  ChimneySweep{tm} can help, FAST!
> http://www.sundialservices.com/cs3web.htm

Re:Heads-up: problems observed using BDE-16 and BDE-32 simultaneously

> Hmm... that configuration scares me, because I would think that having
> two different net file directories is a certain recipe for
> file-corruption.

The 16bit app is the only user of the 16bit idapi and netdir16, the
files and directories it uses are accessed only by it. Our paradox and
32bit delphi users do not use these directories. Its certainly not ideal
but neither is it as much a recipe for disaster as the shared netdir
was.

  But will someone else on the forum please speak to

> this?

> Relevant to my original posting is that I have observed this behavior
on
> a -single- machine that is -not- networked.  Hmm..

We were led to understand by the vendor of the 16bit app that this is
some function of windows NT locking treating 16 and 32 bit differently.
They may not know what they were talking about and we never got to the
bottom of it. Was the single machine running NT?
Fintan

> >finta...@my-deja.com wrote:

> > I experienced this after moving from a Novell environment to NT. A
third
> > party product was 16bit BDE Delphi and those users would lock other
> > 32bit users out of any directories they shared. We were unable to
find a
> > solution other than creating a second netdir for the 16bit
application.
> > The users have two config files idapi16.cfg and idapi32.cfg one
pointing
> > to \netdir16 and the other to \netdir32. There is a win31 option
which
> > needs to be unchecked when saving the 32bit cfg.
> > Fintan

> Sundial Services :: Scottsdale, AZ (USA) :: (480) 946-8259
> mailto:i...@sundialservices.com  (PGP public key available.)
> > Got Paradox/Delphi database headaches?  ChimneySweep{tm} can help,
FAST!
> > http://www.sundialservices.com/cs3web.htm

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.