Advice: Best approach for Internet DB connectivity -> Website

Hello,

Can someone please suggest what is the best approach when using Delphi
to develop a Website?

I was told recently that CGI & Perl are the {*word*109} methods in the
industry, and that most (90%) of the web's main providers use ORACLE,
INTERBASE, etc..

The pages on the site will need to record the user's information
dynamically as a transaction, and store the information for later use.

I also read in a message that Delphi v3.0 contains components for the
Internet.  If so, will they have the connectivity to be compatible with
the format of most Web provider's Servers? Or will it be more on the
proprietory side?

Can someone please outline a basic approach?

Thanks!

Rkr
--

          \|||/
          /'^'\

Re:Advice: Best approach for Internet DB connectivity -> Website

Hi,
I tried HREF tools but was told to use NT, not Win95.  Since that was
not an option I tried the IAG Shorline software at www.shoresoft.com.  I
have been very impressed so far.  It is new stuff but they have been
very helpful with my sincere but Web-ignorant questions.
I have Delphi 3 and tried the ActiveX approach but Netscape and NCompass
ActiveX plug-ins seemed to result in a great deal of downloading with
very little to show for it (certainly could be my fault!).  I imagine
there will be much more discussion on getting Delphi apps up on the Web.
Good Luck
Wayne

rkro...@pacbell.net wrote:

> Hello,

> Can someone please suggest what is the best approach when using Delphi
> to develop a Website?

> I was told recently that CGI & Perl are the {*word*109} methods in the
> industry, and that most (90%) of the web's main providers use ORACLE,
> INTERBASE, etc..

> The pages on the site will need to record the user's information
> dynamically as a transaction, and store the information for later use.

> I also read in a message that Delphi v3.0 contains components for the
> Internet.  If so, will they have the connectivity to be compatible with
> the format of most Web provider's Servers? Or will it be more on the
> proprietory side?

> Can someone please outline a basic approach?

> Thanks!

> Rkr
> --

>           \|||/
>           /'^'\
>          ( 0 0 )
> -----oOOO--(_)--OOOo----------
> Reid Roman
> E-Mail : rkro...@pacbell.net
> Delphi Enthusiast, Hobbiest ..
> U.S.A
> ------------------------------

Re:Advice: Best approach for Internet DB connectivity -> Website

The Internet Information Server / Peer Web Services work fine and you can
connect via ODBC straight to a database

Stefan

In article <3368818E....@pacbell.net>, rkro...@pacbell.net says...

>Hello,

>Can someone please suggest what is the best approach when using Delphi
>to develop a Website?

>I was told recently that CGI & Perl are the {*word*109} methods in the
>industry, and that most (90%) of the web's main providers use ORACLE,
>INTERBASE, etc..

>The pages on the site will need to record the user's information

Other Threads