Oracle 8.1.7 and packaged stored procedure parameters (REF CURSORS)

Hi,

I'm having some trouble getting a simple test Oracle stored procedure
to return me a result set through ADO.  My stored procedure (both
inside and outside a package) is declared as:

  CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE searchcustomers(pSurname IN VARCHAR2,
pResults IN OUT MYPACKAGE.MyCurType)
  IS
  BEGIN
    OPEN pResults FOR SELECT TITLE, INIT, SURNAME FROM
CUSTOMER_ACCOUNT_DETAILS WHERE SURNAME LIKE pSurname || '%';
  END;

where the custom type MyCurType is in the package header as follows:

CREATE PACKAGE MYPACKAGE AS
  TYPE MyCurType IS REF CURSOR;
  PROCEDURE searchcustomersp(pSurname IN VARCHAR2, pResults IN OUT
MyCurType);
END MYPACKAGE;

When I try to set the return parameter type to ftCursor, I get the old
ADO chestnut 'Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable
range, or are in conflict with one another'.

Has anyone done this successfully?  As I say, I've tried with the proc
both inside and outside a package body.  I've had slightly more
success outside the package.  At least the parameters get filled in
for you, even if the type of the result set is wrong (ftInterface).

I'm using MDAC 2.7 with the Oracle Provider for OLE DB version
8.1.7.2.0.

Thanks,

Russ