Newbie ADO Questions.

I'm writing an application that uses ADO. I need to be able to have the
"Provider" property selected from a list by the user (like in the Object
Inspector). How do I get a list of possible providers?

Also, that Connection string thing looks kind of {*word*193}. Are there any tools
I could distribute with my App that would help build a connection string?
Does Microsoft have (a free) one? Or is there one (besides the one in
Delphi) on my computer that I don't know about?

Thanks.

Re:Newbie ADO Questions.

Use GetProviderNames procedure to get a list of providers available and
PromptDataSource to bring up the standard ConnectionString dialog box.
Both are available in the ADODB unit.

--
Best regards,
Alex Fedorov

"Capitalist" <d...@emailme.com> wrote in message

> I'm writing an application that uses ADO. I need to be able to have the
> "Provider" property selected from a list by the user (like in the Object
> Inspector). How do I get a list of possible providers?

> Also, that Connection string thing looks kind of {*word*193}. Are there any
tools
> I could distribute with my App that would help build a connection string?
> Does Microsoft have (a free) one? Or is there one (besides the one in
> Delphi) on my computer that I don't know about?

> Thanks.

Re:Newbie ADO Questions.

Cool, thanks!

One more question. Could you show me an example of PromptDataSource? I can't
find it in the help file and I'm not sure how to use it.

Thanks again.

"Alex Fedorov" <afedo...@aha.ru> wrote in message

> Use GetProviderNames procedure to get a list of providers available and
> PromptDataSource to bring up the standard ConnectionString dialog box.
> Both are available in the ADODB unit.

> --
> Best regards,
> Alex Fedorov
> afedo...@postman.ru

> "Capitalist" <d...@emailme.com> wrote in message
> > I'm writing an application that uses ADO. I need to be able to have the
> > "Provider" property selected from a list by the user (like in the Object
> > Inspector). How do I get a list of possible providers?

> > Also, that Connection string thing looks kind of {*word*193}. Are there any
> tools
> > I could distribute with my App that would help build a connection
string?
> > Does Microsoft have (a free) one? Or is there one (besides the one in
> > Delphi) on my computer that I don't know about?

> > Thanks.

Re:Newbie ADO Questions.

  PromptDataSource(Form1.Handle, '');

Make sure that ADODB is in your uses clause. You might want to consider
using UDL files. Either you or the user can create as many as necessary and
you can set the one to use at runtime.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Newbie ADO Questions.

UDL Files?

If you could point me to a good ADO/Delphi (book, web site, whatever)
reference I would appreciate it. That way I won't have to keep asking
questions.

Thanks.

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" <b...@dbginc.com> wrote in message

>   PromptDataSource(Form1.Handle, '');

> Make sure that ADODB is in your uses clause. You might want to consider
> using UDL files. Either you or the user can create as many as necessary
and
> you can set the one to use at runtime.

> --
> Bill

> Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Newbie ADO Questions.

One source of information that is free is the on-line help file for the MDAC
(Microsoft Data Access Components) SDK. You have to download the whole SDK
(about 36 mb) to get it but it is quite good. I have not seen it but I have
been told that "ADO 2.1 Programmers Guide" by
David Sussman isbn 1861002688 is _the_ book on ADO.

UDL files are Universal Data Link files. A UDL file contains all of the
information that a connection string contains but in a file. To create one
right click in the file pane in Windows Explorer, choose New and select
Microsoft Data Link. You will see the same dialog used to create a
connection string. To use the UDL in your application set the
ConnectionString property of your ADOConnection component to

FILE NAME=C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ole db\Data Links\DBDEMOS.udl

Hope this helps.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)