paradox vs. DBase tables

We are currently evaluating Delphi's native table support. We are wondering
what the main advantages and disadvantages are to using paradox vs. dbase
filing structures..

any help would be appreciated..

st...@pacificnet.net

Re:paradox vs. DBase tables

In <4nehcm$...@news2.cais.com> st...@scaryland.com (Steven W. Mentzer)
writes:

>We are currently evaluating Delphi's native table support. We are
wondering
>what the main advantages and disadvantages are to using paradox vs.
dbase
>filing structures..

>any help would be appreciated..

>st...@pacificnet.net

This has probably been covered before but this post got me to thinking,
2 cents worth anyway.

I've used both, DBase more than Paradox (whatever the client wants, you
know), and, probably because Paradox is a bit more modern, it has more
features like referential integrity and a broader range of field types.

DBase has been around longer and there seems to be a lot more third
party stuff like report writers available for it.  Also, most other
programs like spreadsheets, word processors, scheduling, etc. seem to
be able to read and write DBase files.  This would probably make me
lean toward DBase if there was any chance of needing this type of
functionality.

Otherwise, both of these format have been implemented in millions of
systems.

Re:paradox vs. DBase tables

> programs like spreadsheets, word processors, scheduling, etc. seem to
> be able to read and write DBase files.  This would probably make me
> lean toward DBase if there was any chance of needing this type of
> functionality.

> Otherwise, both of these format have been implemented in millions of
> systems.

I agree. But it irkes me no end that dbase indexes are not fully
supported by Delphi. Expression indexes are ignored by too many
important functions (like setrange for one, findkey for another!)

This drives me to constantly think of 'creative' ways of doing things
that would be very simple in paradox.

Other Threads