Customizing a standard dialog

Hello,

Can someone help me out with a little advice?

I need to customize a Win95 style OpenDialog. We've all seen these, like
the ones in graphics programs that display image data or a picture preview
when you click on a filename.

Are the programmers cloning the dialog from scratch or is there a way to
hook into the dialog window and modify it?

If I have to go from scratch, does anyone know of an OpenDialog clone
component with source, free or shareware, it doesn't matter. I just don't
want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Thanks.

David Czaya

Re:Customizing a standard dialog

"Nighthawk" <niteh...@buffnet.net> wrote:
>I need to customize a Win95 style OpenDialog. We've all seen these, like
>the ones in graphics programs that display image data or a picture preview
>when you click on a filename.

>Are the programmers cloning the dialog from scratch or is there a way to
>hook into the dialog window and modify it?

You can "hook" into using a "template" of your own.

>If I have to go from scratch, does anyone know of an OpenDialog clone
>component with source, free or shareware, it doesn't matter. I just don't
>want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Check out this file:

ftp://ftp.mv.net/pub/ddj/1996/1996.09/custopen.zip

It's the source from an article in the Sept. 96 issue of Dr. Dobbs Journal,
and it shows how to use a template for the common File Open dialog.  You
should be able to apply the same method to any of the common dialogs.  I
suggest you get the back issue from them if you want to understand how
templates and common dialogs work.

Regards,
Brad
bstow...@pobox.com (My return address is intentionally invalid; delete ".Remove-This-Spam-Blocker" for real address)

Re:Customizing a standard dialog

Nighthawk <niteh...@buffnet.net> wrote in article
<01bc4942$0b3dcd00$e17cf...@news.buffnet.net.buffnet.net>...

> Can someone help me out with a little advice?
[...snip...]
> ... does anyone know of an OpenDialog clone
> component with source, free or shareware, it doesn't matter. I just don't
> want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.
> David Czaya

The Shell Control Pack includes an Open Dialog clone component with extra
features like optional tree view and resizeable frame - source is
available. For more info surf to:

        http://plasmatech.com/shellctl.htm

The pack also includes a folder browser dialog clone (with create/delete
folder buttons and resizeable frame) and an Explorer tree view, list view,
combo box, general purpose splitter and image combo box.

--
Tim Knipe
Plasmatech Software Design

Other Threads