Delphi 1.02 / 2.01 and NT 4.0

HI you all,

I'm having the following problems:

1. Running a program within the Delphi IDE (1.02) ontop of
   Windows NT 4.0 will hang the program ?!. This worked fine
   with Windows NT 4.0 Beta.

2. Some of my Delphi-Applications crash when they run ontop of NT 4.0
   with a "stack fault" or an exeption within the TOOLHELP.DLL.
   This always happens when part of the application window has to
   be repainted !

Can anyone of you help ?

/Nils

     _/    _/  _/    _/  _/_/_/
    _/_/  _/  _/    _/  _/    _/     NHD-Softwaresysteme
   _/  _/_/  _/_/_/_/  _/    _/      Dipl.-Inform. Nils H. Dzubiel
  -/    _/  _/    _/  _/    _/       An der Rossmuehle 15
 _/    _/  _/    _/  _/_/_/          47835 Krefeld - Huels, Germany

                 "What do >you< care, what other people think ?"

Re:Delphi 1.02 / 2.01 and NT 4.0

Peter G. Millard wrote:

> n...@titanic.nhd.com (Nils H. Dzubiel) wrote:
> >1. Running a program within the Delphi IDE (1.02) ontop of
> >   Windows NT 4.0 will hang the program ?!. This worked fine
> >   with Windows NT 4.0 Beta.

Also, try re-compiling your program with Optimizations settings turned
OFF.  This seemed to work for me.

-Jim Rofkar.

Re:Delphi 1.02 / 2.01 and NT 4.0

In article <54jb5k$...@titanic.nhd.com>, n...@titanic.nhd.com (Nils H. Dzubiel) wrote:

>HI you all,

>I'm having the following problems:

>1. Running a program within the Delphi IDE (1.02) ontop of
>   Windows NT 4.0 will hang the program ?!. This worked fine
>   with Windows NT 4.0 Beta.

I'm running this same setup without any problems - must be something specific
to your machine --> see below.

>2. Some of my Delphi-Applications crash when they run ontop of NT 4.0
>   with a "stack fault" or an exeption within the TOOLHELP.DLL.
>   This always happens when part of the application window has to
>   be repainted !

>Can anyone of you help ?

If it seems like a painting problem - it would lead me right to your display
driver. Try resetting your display props back to standard VGA and see if the
problems persist. My setup has been working fine since NT 4.0 Beta 1, through
Beta2 and hasn't shown any problems with build 1381 either. BTW, I'm using a
Matrox Millenium 2MB and the drivers that came with NT (the matrox ones
actually seemed slower).

* Peter G. Millard      ******************* Maintainer of the VB        *
* mill...@buffnet.net       **************  General & VBDOS FAQ's      *
* http://www.buffnet.net/~millard  ******** Error Reading Drive A.....      *
* http://www.vantek-corp.com             **     Formatting C: Instead    *

Re:Delphi 1.02 / 2.01 and NT 4.0

n...@titanic.nhd.com (Nils H. Dzubiel) wrote:

>HI you all,

>I'm having the following problems:

>1. Running a program within the Delphi IDE (1.02) ontop of
>   Windows NT 4.0 will hang the program ?!. This worked fine
>   with Windows NT 4.0 Beta.

Maybe because 1.02 creates 16bit output.

>2. Some of my Delphi-Applications crash when they run ontop of NT 4.0
>   with a "stack fault" or an exeption within the TOOLHELP.DLL.
>   This always happens when part of the application window has to
>   be repainted !

enable stack-checking in project | options menu. It will generate an
exception when you get a stack-error. Then debug your code. There is
most likely something wrong with your code. Maybe a recursive loop you
never exit, or you call event 1, which sets event 2, but event 2 sets
event 1 again. If you use sendmessage in this instance, the program
will go into a recursive loop, causing a stack-failure. Postmessage
works better then.

Re:Delphi 1.02 / 2.01 and NT 4.0

In article <3279d3af.823...@news.xs4all.nl>, lowle...@xs4all.nl (Rene "Lowlevel" Veerman) wrote:

>n...@titanic.nhd.com (Nils H. Dzubiel) wrote:

>>HI you all,

>>I'm having the following problems:

>>1. Running a program within the Delphi IDE (1.02) ontop of
>>   Windows NT 4.0 will hang the program ?!. This worked fine
>>   with Windows NT 4.0 Beta.
>Maybe because 1.02 creates 16bit output.

Please clarify?? This is now happening to me also. Even after a complete
re-build. I hit the run button, and the drive starts to chug and my splash
screen never comes up. If I open the task manager, I can see my _entire_ swap
file being eaten up (P166 w/ 32MB ram, 65MB Swap file). This is _REALLY_
annoying as it seriously nukes my system. (Can't access anything, drive just
chugs). Had to reinstall NT3.51 (onto another subdir) so I could get some work
done. Does anyone have a fix for this??

TIA,
Peter.