Connection between SQL Server 7.0 on win98 and SQL Server 7.0 on Win2000 advanced server

Dear friend,
I have SQL Server 7.0 on win98 and another on win2000 advanced server. I'm
developing my application on win98 and want to move database to win200
advanced server. what is the best way to moving data from win98 into
win2000?
additionally, I heard something about SQL Server 2000, what is the advantage
of SQL Server 2000 vs SQL Server 7.0? do you think I should use it on
win2000 Advaced Server?
thank you,
Ebadat A.R.

Re:Connection between SQL Server 7.0 on win98 and SQL Server 7.0 on Win2000 advanced server

Believe it or not, you would get much better answers on MS news server
(msnews.microsoft.com).

If I'm not mistaken, in order to move the database you can:
1. detach the database from 98 machine
2. move the db and log file(s) to 2k machine
3. attach the database to 2k server

If you need to move user accounts as well (note: works only for Standard
accounts - not NT accounts in integrated authentication):

1. Backup master database on 98
2. Backup master database on 2k
3. detach your database from 98 and move the files to 2k server
4. restore 98 backup of master database on 2k server
5. if  you don't see your database up, you have to run sp_attach_db

In addition, in order to move database from server to server, you have make
sure that the language, the sort-order id, the unicode locale and unicode
comparison style are all set to the same values (run sp_configure to
confirm). If any of them is different, you will have to rebuild your target
(2k) master database.

If your database is not too big, you could also run a DTS package. Would
also work if any of aforementioned configuration parameters is different.
You would have to redo permissions though.

There's much more to this topic than what I'm saying here. Read SQL Server
BOL.

As for new features in SQL 2k - very cool stuff, but you should go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/productinfo/whyup.htm
and
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/productinfo/whatsnew.htm

rb