Board index » delphi » InterBase Express vs IB Objects

InterBase Express vs IB Objects

Some questions:

1 - According to IBO, Interbase Express is in Beta.  Is this still the
case?

2 - From what I understand about IBO, it can't be used with the Dataware
Controls.  Is this so?

3 - Which would you use and why?

Dan

 

Re:InterBase Express vs IB Objects


Quote
"Dan Star" <dans...@engman-taylor.com> wrote in message

news:3a0b0246$0$62626$726baab@news.execpc.com...

Quote
> Some questions:

> 1 - According to IBO, Interbase Express is in Beta.  Is this still the
> case?

IBX has been released as a final version by now... It's still being
developed though - but that's a good thing.

Quote
> 2 - From what I understand about IBO, it can't be used with the Dataware
> Controls.  Is this so?

Partly true. IBO has it's own native controls that work (very tight and
fast) with IBO datasets. It also has a few TDataset descendants that work
with the Dataaware Controls that come with Delphi. You can use both.

Quote
> 3 - Which would you use and why?

I'm using IBO for my application - mostly because at the time I started the
IBO development cycle (feedback, support, new version) was way shorter than
anything from Borland. I do not use any data-controls though, so I cannot
tell you anything about that.

--
--

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions

For InterBase Workbench,
the developer tool for InterBase
http://www.interbaseworkbench.com

For Delphi Components and InterBase tools:
http://www.upscene.com

(answers to newsgroups posts considering InterBase
are for IB6 unless stated otherwise)

Re:InterBase Express vs IB Objects


Quote
Martijn Tonies wrote:
> "Dan Star" <dans...@engman-taylor.com> wrote in message
> news:3a0b0246$0$62626$726baab@news.execpc.com...

<snip>

Quote
> > 3 - Which would you use and why?

> I'm using IBO for my application - mostly because at the time I started the
> IBO development cycle (feedback, support, new version) was way shorter than
> anything from Borland. I do not use any data-controls though, so I cannot
> tell you anything about that.

Any reason why you don't use data-aware controls?  (Currently being a VB
programmer, I sometimes find data-aware controls to be restrictive).

Dan

Re:InterBase Express vs IB Objects


I'm using IBO as well, and I use a lot of data-aware controls.  They work fine,
and there is a lot of convenience and features built in.

Aage J.

Quote
Dan Star wrote:
> Martijn Tonies wrote:
> > I'm using IBO for my application - mostly because at the time I started the
> > IBO development cycle (feedback, support, new version) was way shorter than
> > anything from Borland. I do not use any data-controls though, so I cannot
> > tell you anything about that.

> Any reason why you don't use data-aware controls?  (Currently being a VB
> programmer, I sometimes find data-aware controls to be restrictive).

> Dan

Re:InterBase Express vs IB Objects


Anyone know if IBO is being ported to Linux so it integrates with Kylix?

Dan

Quote
Aage Johansen wrote:
> I'm using IBO as well, and I use a lot of data-aware controls.  They work fine,
> and there is a lot of convenience and features built in.

> Aage J.

> Dan Star wrote:

> > Martijn Tonies wrote:
> > > I'm using IBO for my application - mostly because at the time I started the
> > > IBO development cycle (feedback, support, new version) was way shorter than
> > > anything from Borland. I do not use any data-controls though, so I cannot
> > > tell you anything about that.

> > Any reason why you don't use data-aware controls?  (Currently being a VB
> > programmer, I sometimes find data-aware controls to be restrictive).

> > Dan

Re:InterBase Express vs IB Objects


I understand that there will be a version for Kylix, but you should ask the author -
Jason Wharton, or check the web site (www.ibobjects.com) or support list.

Regards,
Aage J.

Quote
Dan Star wrote:
> Anyone know if IBO is being ported to Linux so it integrates with Kylix?

Other Threads