Please help database duplicate names

I have a problem with the Delphi4 application I am writing.  When I try
to load the application, I get a dialog box saying that there is
'another table of the same name' and asking to delete it.  If I delete
it, the form will not load or display.  If I do not delete it, the form
shows, but the Data Source and main menu will not display, and the
Object inspector will not show the table defs or table fields, so I can
try to alter things until the problem goes away.

I cannot paste another data source on the form, because the Data Source
is already there, but not visible.

So, either the form does not show, so I cannot try to correct anything,
or the form shows, but I cannot access anything that might need
changing.  Is Delphi really so bad that any programming error is
irrecoverable and will cause a loss of work?

Can anybody make any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Tom

Re:Please help database duplicate names

Tom Caldwell wrote:
> I have a problem with the Delphi4 application I am writing.  When I try
> to load the application, I get a dialog box saying that there is
> 'another table of the same name' and asking to delete it.  If I delete
> it, the form will not load or display.  If I do not delete it, the form
> shows, but the Data Source and main menu will not display, and the
> Object inspector will not show the table defs or table fields, so I can
> try to alter things until the problem goes away.

> I cannot paste another data source on the form, because the Data Source
> is already there, but not visible.

> So, either the form does not show, so I cannot try to correct anything,
> or the form shows, but I cannot access anything that might need
> changing.  Is Delphi really so bad that any programming error is
> irrecoverable and will cause a loss of work?

> Can anybody make any suggestions?

> Sincerely,

> Tom

Open the Pascal source of your datamodule in the editor ("DataModule1.pas")
and see where you are creating tables (must be some OnCreate event handler
or the like). This is probably a query object doing this with something
like a "Create table " statement. Delete the code. Make or build the
project. Re-open the project. It should go well then.

Remember that if in the development environment all components are "live".
So tables are opened when you set Active to true.

And for a small flame: Do not try to blame others for your problems. Delphi
is not a tool like Word, to be used by people who have no idea what goes on
"under the hood".

HTH
--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Menno

On 6 Mar 2002 07:13:32 GMT, lao...@hkstar.com (Tom Caldwell) wrote:

>I have a problem with the Delphi4 application I am writing.  When I try
>to load the application, I get a dialog box saying that there is
>'another table of the same name' and asking to delete it.  If I delete
>it, the form will not load or display.  If I do not delete it, the form
>shows, but the Data Source and main menu will not display, and the
>Object inspector will not show the table defs or table fields, so I can
>try to alter things until the problem goes away.

>I cannot paste another data source on the form, because the Data Source
>is already there, but not visible.

Sometimes components can get covered up or scrolled off of the visible
part of the form or datamodule.
1. for visual controls such as TEdit or TLabel that you can't see,
find them in the Object Inspector drop down list. Then you can delete
them or move them by setting the Top and Left properties to place them
where you can drag them where you want.
2. For finding non-visual components, right click on the form or data
module and select 'View as text' from the list. Then search for the
component name to find the Object declaration. There you can set the
Top and Left properties. (Zero-zero will put it in the top left
corner, you can then move it where you want.) Right click again on the
text and select 'View as form'.

hth, Dan

--
Dan Brennand
CMDC systems, inc.
visit us at www.cmdcsystems.com
[SPAM block: my e-mail address is DanB at CMDCsystems.com]

Other Threads