Newbie question on Table & Field name

I want to know in IB6:
1. Table name is case sensitive?
2. Field name is case sensitive?

If both are case sensitive, I need to modify all my programs,e.g.
CustomerNo -> CUSTOMERNO. It caused me 2 problems:
1. All source code and TQuery.fields need to be modified.
2. All table structure need to be modified.
3. The DBGrid display label need to edited (CUSTOMERNO or TRADERID are not
accepted by users, but CustomerNo or TraderID are accepted).

Give me any short-cut or workarround on my problem, Thanks You!

Thanks.
Benson
D5, IB6, Win98.

Re:Newbie question on Table & Field name

Hello!

I have a problem:
There is a Novell Netware 4.1 server and 4 computers in its netework.
2 of the workstations have Win98 op. system the other two have
Windows 95 HUN 4.00.950B. Our Interbase 6.01 server running on
Windows 98 computer and the other Win98 can access to the database
by TCP/IP. But the 2 win95's computers can NOT access to the DB.
I can ping the server IP address in windows command line, but the
if  i use the IBConsole, in the "diagnose connection" window on the
TCP/IP pane doesn't  work the ping i can't ping from here neither
the server nor the client itself. It's interesting that the connections by
gds_db and on the 3050 port working. I've checked the TCP/IP
settings but i've got no idea why the Win95 IBConsole can't access
to the Win98 server. Do I need additional services or programs on
Win95? How can I get them?
Help me please! And thank You in advance!
Peter

Re:Newbie question on Table & Field name

"Benson Wong" <ben...@matrixlink.net> schreef in bericht

> I want to know in IB6:
> 1. Table name is case sensitive?
> 2. Field name is case sensitive?

> If both are case sensitive, I need to modify all my programs,e.g.
> CustomerNo -> CUSTOMERNO. It caused me 2 problems:
> 1. All source code and TQuery.fields need to be modified.
> 2. All table structure need to be modified.
> 3. The DBGrid display label need to edited (CUSTOMERNO or TRADERID are not
> accepted by users, but CustomerNo or TraderID are accepted).

> Give me any short-cut or workarround on my problem, Thanks You!

> Thanks.
> Benson
> D5, IB6, Win98.

I had almost the same problem,

I've use everywhere a query like this :

select
  C.CUSTOMERID As "CustomerID",
  C.LASTNAME As "Lastname",
  C.FIRSTNAME As "Firsname"
from
  CUSTOMERS C

Now add all fields with the fields editor !.

Re:Newbie question on Table & Field name

> 1. Table name is case sensitive?
> 2. Field name is case sensitive?

The names are NOT case sensitive.
They are case sensitive only if you put them in between "".

so,
select * from ABC
select * from aBC
select * from abc
produce the same results.

Billy

"Benson Wong" <ben...@matrixlink.net> wrote in <3b32e5c0_2@dnews>:

>I want to know in IB6:
>1. Table name is case sensitive?
>2. Field name is case sensitive?

>If both are case sensitive, I need to modify all my programs,e.g.
>CustomerNo -> CUSTOMERNO. It caused me 2 problems:
>1. All source code and TQuery.fields need to be modified.
>2. All table structure need to be modified.
>3. The DBGrid display label need to edited (CUSTOMERNO or TRADERID are
>not accepted by users, but CustomerNo or TraderID are accepted).

>Give me any short-cut or workarround on my problem, Thanks You!

You can set the DisplayLabel property of TFields to be anything you want,
without having to change the database.  If this property is set, the DBGrid
will use it for the captions, you can also set your grid up to have columns
you describe at design time, instead of loading them all up a run time.

--
Iman
"Y'know, evil comes in many forms, whether it be

Re:Newbie question on Table & Field name

Apply Winsock patch to your Win95v machines.

--
Sergio Samayoa
Logica Software

Billy wrote:

> They are case sensitive only if you put them in between "".

        ...*and* you're using dialect 3.  "" doesn't matter in dialect 1.

        -Craig

Benson Wong wrote:

> I want to know in IB6:
> 1. Table name is case sensitive?
> 2. Field name is case sensitive?

        In both cases, yes if the following are true:

1.  You're using SQL dialect 3, and
2.  You double-quote the field names.

        Now:

> If both are case sensitive, I need to modify all my programs,e.g.
> CustomerNo -> CUSTOMERNO. It caused me 2 problems:
> 1. All source code and TQuery.fields need to be modified.

        You should know that TQuery will double-quote the table and column
names whenever RequestLive is TRUE.  That said, the BDE does not
presently support Dialect 3 at all unless you have Delphi 6, and, as
above, double quotes don't matter unless you're using a dialect 3
database.

        HTH,

        -Craig