Lost text in 1152x864 resolution

Hi all,

Can anyone explain this? I'm baffled...

I have a Delphi 2 app that contains a lot of data entry forms, mostly
with CheckBoxes and Text controls.

The strange thing is that when the app is run on an 1152 by 864
resolution screen, portions of the text disappear. Sentences and
captions get truncated seemingly at random (always in the same places,
but with large or small amounts of text, in varying positions).

Any ideas?
Jeremy Collins

"There's a cool web of language draws us in,
    Retreat from too much joy or too much fear"
-Robert Graves, 'The Cool Web', 1927

Re:Lost text in 1152x864 resolution

> The strange thing is that when the app is run on an 1152 by 864
> resolution screen, portions of the text disappear. Sentences and
> captions get truncated seemingly at random (always in the same places,
> but with large or small amounts of text, in varying positions).

> Any ideas?

Are you switching to that resolution from another resolution without rebooting?
It's a long-shot but sometimes that screws apps up. That's probably why the Win95
default is to reboot when changing resolutions and font size.

        Good luck,

                Dave

--
( reply-to address changed to avoid the spammers, use the following e-mail address
)

Re:Lost text in 1152x864 resolution

>Are you switching to that resolution from another resolution without rebooting?
>It's a long-shot but sometimes that screws apps up. That's probably why the
>Win95
>default is to reboot when changing resolutions and font size.

Good idea, but unfortunately not. The problem happened when the app was
run on  machine that uses 1152x864 by default.

Is anyone out there using this resolution? Are there any known problems,
or (more likely) is this my fault?

Jeremy Collins

"There's a cool web of language draws us in,
    Retreat from too much joy or too much fear"
-Robert Graves, 'The Cool Web', 1927

Re:Lost text in 1152x864 resolution

Jeremy,
Ok, another quick solution is to set the Autosize property (labels only I
think) to false. set the height of the text object to at least 30% larger
than it needs to be and the length at least 25% longer.  no more text loss.
 I then mess around with scaling the form or what not, for other stuff.
BTW I've only run into this problem when developing with large fonts. It
seems the majority of the people in the world have no idea you can switch
from small to large fonts and get more screen space with the same amount of
eye strain.  I switched to small fonts and bought glasses.

Bill
 Rodney E Geraghty wrote in article <01bc6005$e28b1540$9ca72581@default>...

>Jeremy,
>  More than likely this is the result of a change in font size from your
>development machine to the one running at 1152 by 864.  Are you
developing
>with the system font set to Small and the other machine set to Large
fonts
>(or vice versus).  One way around this is to set the Scaled property for
>your forms to False (if this is acceptable) and then to use a True Type
>font for all your forms and components.  I use the Ariel font and Scaled
=
>False to avoid just such a problem.  I'm not sure if just changing the
font
>will solve your problems or if the Scaled property is essential to this
>working.

>  There are also some other quirks here such as creating components at
run
>time.  It seems that in order for the fonts not to get messed up you have
>to set their Height property as opposed to their Size property.

>  I also did a little testing with the Scaled property set to False and
>using the ScaleBy() function in each forms OnCreate event to look after
>changes in resolution so that the forms would always appear the same size
>but other priorities took me away from this testing but it did look
>promising.  One thing I'm sure will get messed up using this is the fact
>that Bitmaps don't scale very nicely so if you have any Image components
>they could look messy when scaled.  If I remember correctly I still had
>use a TTF to avoid the font size problem.

>  Hope this helps!
>--
>Rod Geraghty (:>)
>GERA-Tech
>Ottawa, Canada
>gera...@ibm.net

>Jeremy Collins <j...@jcollins.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
><tvdUIBAup1dzE...@jcollins.demon.co.uk>...
>> Hi all,

>> Can anyone explain this? I'm baffled...

>> I have a Delphi 2 app that contains a lot of data entry forms, mostly
>> with CheckBoxes and Text controls.

>> The strange thing is that when the app is run on an 1152 by 864
>> resolution screen, portions of the text disappear. Sentences and
>> captions get truncated seemingly at random (always in the same places,
>> but with large or small amounts of text, in varying positions).

>> Any ideas?
>> Jeremy Collins

>> "There's a cool web of language draws us in,
>>     Retreat from too much joy or too much fear"
>> -Robert Graves, 'The Cool Web', 1927

Re:Lost text in 1152x864 resolution

Thanks for the suggestions people, but the problem persists.

I'm not developing in Large Fonts, and the client machine does not run
with LF either. It does not seem to be a scaling problem either, as text
simply disappears regardless of the size of the label or the amount of
text it contains.

All the text in the application is True Type (Arial) and I'm not
creating any components at run-time.

I'm very close to going with the easy solution - ShowMessage('This
application does not run in 1152x664 resoltion); Halt; :-)
Jeremy Collins

"There's a cool web of language draws us in,
    Retreat from too much joy or too much fear"
-Robert Graves, 'The Cool Web', 1927

Re:Lost text in 1152x864 resolution

Running at that res in NT 4.0 Server, S3 video board, 65k colors. No
problems.

Jeremy Collins <j...@jcollins.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<OjsmGFAReLezE...@jcollins.demon.co.uk>...

> >Are you switching to that resolution from another resolution without
rebooting?
> >It's a long-shot but sometimes that screws apps up. That's probably why
the
> >Win95
> >default is to reboot when changing resolutions and font size.
> Good idea, but unfortunately not. The problem happened when the app was
> run on  machine that uses 1152x864 by default.

> Is anyone out there using this resolution? Are there any known problems,
> or (more likely) is this my fault?

> Jeremy Collins

> "There's a cool web of language draws us in,
>     Retreat from too much joy or too much fear"
> -Robert Graves, 'The Cool Web', 1927

Other Threads