Delphi 7 to Delphi.NET Converter?

Hi,

As Delphi is a structured language does anyone know if it will be possible
to automatically convert Delphi 7 code to Delphi.NET and whether Borland
will be including this functionality?

This will make a huge difference to a large application I am about to start
but unable to wait until Delphi.NET be evaluated and available.

TIA

Paul.

Re:Delphi 7 to Delphi.NET Converter?

Structure code can be done include on top of OOC. D7 and early is OO, so if
your project have structured code is because you write this or use  a code
of others. Is very hard rework the logic...How can a automated tool know how
group the procedures/function into objects? For experienced developers is
hard enough (for examples, visite the modeldriven or oo ng, a lot of post
about how model this or that)

But if you ask convert function/forms/etc... then the idea is provide (from
Borland) very good backward compatibily (thats i heard here). How so good is
something no clear now... (except if you check against the .NET preview and
see...)

Re:Delphi 7 to Delphi.NET Converter?

> (except if you check against the .NET preview and see...)

Where can I find download information on the .NET preview?  Is this just the
command line compiler with no GUI?

TIA

Re:Delphi 7 to Delphi.NET Converter?

Hi Paul,

  An early version of the Delphi for .NET compiler is included in your
Delphi 7 box.  There are updates for the Delphi for .NET preview available
for download on the Borland website.  (Downloads: Delphi section)  You'll
need register your Delphi 7 to gain access to the updates download area.
You definitely want to get the updates from the web, as the updates added a
lot more functionality than what shipped with Delphi 7.

  Delphi for .NET is an evolution of the Delphi 7 language and architecture.
As such, there is no real need to "convert" Delphi 7 code to Delphi for
.NET.  There will be items that you may be using in Delphi 7 that don't
exist or apply in the .NET realm, but on the whole you should be able to
port a non-trivial application to Delphi for .NET in a matter of days.  If
your application code relies heavily on "dirty tricks" your time to port
will be longer, but that's true for porting any application to a different
platform.

  Our goal for the Delphi for .NET product is that an average Delphi
programmer should be able read a bit about the .NET platform, open their
Win32 Delphi application source in the Delphi for .NET IDE, and with a few
minor code adjustments have the application running in .NET fairly quickly.

  If you're familiar with the process of migrating Delphi code from Win32 to
Linux (using Kylix), the .NET migration should be easier than that.

  The Delphi for .NET preview is the command-line compiler only and a subset
of the RTL and VCL units.  Borland is working on creating a VCL framework on
the .NET to further simplify migration of existing VCL applications to the
.NET platform.  The preview includes many of the VCL classes, but does not
include form streaming support (DFMs).  DFM form streaming and IDE tools
will be included in the actual Delphi for .NET product.

  The preview is a preview of the language, not a complete development
environment.  For the purposes of helping you understand which areas of your
existing application will need adjustment to work in .NET, I think the
preview will do a fine job.

Hope this helps,

-Danny Thorpe
Lead Engineer, Delphi Compilers and Libraries
Borland Software Corp

"Paul" <r...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hi,

> As Delphi is a structured language does anyone know if it will be possible
> to automatically convert Delphi 7 code to Delphi.NET and whether Borland
> will be including this functionality?

> This will make a huge difference to a large application I am about to
start
> but unable to wait until Delphi.NET be evaluated and available.

> TIA

> Paul.

Re:Delphi 7 to Delphi.NET Converter?

>   The preview is a preview of the language, not a complete development
> environment.  For the purposes of helping you understand which areas of
your
> existing application will need adjustment to work in .NET, I think the
> preview will do a fine job.

Cheers Danny for the time taken to give me such a precise answer.  I will
check out the further previews available for download from the Borland site.

Are you able to confirm that the OLE Container control is available in the
Delphi.NET preview as this is an important control for my applications?

Thanks

> Are you able to confirm that the OLE Container control is available in the
> Delphi.NET preview as this is an important control for my applications?

I don't believe the OLE Container control will be part of VCL.NET, mostly
because the .NET framework already provides means to host an OLE surface in
a form.  VCL.NET will defer most ActiveX related stuff to what's already
implemented in the .NET framework.

For example:  We don't currently plan to implement special ActiveX control
creation support in VCL.NET as we did in VCL for Win32.  It's not needed in
.NET.  For .NET, just create a normal control with some additional custom
attributes, compile it into a .NET assembly, then use a .NET tool to produce
a COM compatible typelib from the .NET assembly.

-Danny

Re:Delphi 7 to Delphi.NET Converter?

> I don't believe the OLE Container control will be part of VCL.NET, mostly
> because the .NET framework already provides means to host an OLE surface
in
> a form.  VCL.NET will defer most ActiveX related stuff to what's already
> implemented in the .NET framework.

Again thanks for the reply.  I am currently evaluating development languages
to "persuade" the appropriate people to change to Delphi.  As VB.NET did not
support an OLE Container control I suspected Delphi.NET might not either.

Did not know about an OLE surface in a form will try to investigate further
but no one seems to know about this for VB.NET in my limited research so far
so I suspect similar may be true for Delphi.NET.

Am I correct to assume that new incarnations of "standard" Delphi (e.g.
Delphi 8) will not stop due to Delphi.NET?

Cheers

> Am I correct to assume that new incarnations of "standard" Delphi (e.g.
> Delphi 8) will not stop due to Delphi.NET?

Correct.  Features will not be removed from Win32 Delphi merely because they
are not available in or aren't applicable to .NET.  For example, GetMem and
FreeMem will not be removed from Win32 Delphi.  ;>

-Danny

Re:Delphi 7 to Delphi.NET Converter?

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 18:47:59 -0700, "Danny Thorpe" <nom...@borland.com>
wrote:

>"Paul" <r...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Am I correct to assume that new incarnations of "standard" Delphi (e.g.
>> Delphi 8) will not stop due to Delphi.NET?

>Correct.  Features will not be removed from Win32 Delphi merely because they
>are not available in or aren't applicable to .NET.  For example, GetMem and
>FreeMem will not be removed from Win32 Delphi.  ;>

What about case sensitivity in symbols (declarations, variables,
etc.).

Will D8 become case sensitive in the .net side?

Oz

Re:Delphi 7 to Delphi.NET Converter?

>What about case sensitivity in symbols (declarations, variables,
>etc.).

>Will D8 become case sensitive in the .net side?

>Oz

So far in the preview it is not Case sensitive.

Robert Love

"ozbear" <ozb...@no.spam.bigpond.com> wrote in message

> What about case sensitivity in symbols (declarations, variables,
> etc.).

> Will D8 become case sensitive in the .net side?

No.  .NET CLR supports case sensitive languages, but does not require case
sensitivity.  The rule is: no two symbols in the same scope (class) can
differ only in case.

You can confirm this by looking at the Delphi for .NET Preview compiler in
your D7 installation.

-Danny

Re:Delphi 7 to Delphi.NET Converter?

"Danny Thorpe" wrote

> I don't believe the OLE Container control will be part of VCL.NET, mostly
> because the .NET framework already provides means to host an OLE surface
in
> a form.  VCL.NET will defer most ActiveX related stuff to what's already
> implemented in the .NET framework.

Hi

Probably going a bit off topic here but I am getting desperate if anyone can
point me in the right direction on how to host an OLE surface (for example
Word / Excel / PPT) on a form be it in Delphi.NET / VB.NET whatever it would
be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul.

Re:Delphi 7 to Delphi.NET Converter?

> Probably going a bit off topic here but I am getting desperate if anyone
can
> point me in the right direction on how to host an OLE surface (for example
> Word / Excel / PPT) on a form be it in Delphi.NET / VB.NET whatever it
would
> be greatly appreciated.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odc_...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odc_...