Allocating memory in Delphi for use in DOS INTerrupt

I wish to allocate a chunk of memory for a device which is accessed
via INT 2F.  I have tried to allocate the memory via Windows but I get
the feeling that Windows memory layout is substantialy diferent from DOS.
I have looked at GlobalDosMemAlloc (or what-ever), but it returns a
selector and a 'paragraph-segment'.  What makes this different from a
segment in DOS?

How do I allocate the memory so that the interrupt sees it?
(I have managed to get an interrupt to work, one that does not use/modify
a chunk of memory, so I don't think it's a problem with interrupts in
general).

Rufus van Dufus.

Re:Allocating memory in Delphi for use in DOS INTerrupt

In article <3rk70b$...@seralph9.essex.ac.uk>, mar...@essex.ac.uk (Martin R J) writes:
> I wish to allocate a chunk of memory for a device which is accessed
> via INT 2F.  I have tried to allocate the memory via Windows but I get
> the feeling that Windows memory layout is substantialy diferent from DOS.
> I have looked at GlobalDosMemAlloc (or what-ever), but it returns a
> selector and a 'paragraph-segment'.  What makes this different from a
> segment in DOS?

[...]

It was an addition to the charter of the comp.lang.pascal.... reorganisation,
that as long as the dedicated comp.???.delphi groups are not yet there, the
comp.lang.pascal.misc could be used by delphi users, while c.l.p.borland
will be used by those for who this group is really setup, namely the old-
fashioned TurboPascal and BorlandPascal users.

Please follow this settlement, because for plain TP or BP users, the arrival
of Delphi has meant that they can't find their messages and the replies on
those in between the whole flood of Delphi related messages. So, be friendly,
and post Delphi related messages only to comp.lang.pascal.misc.

BTW, I can only enforce that I love the Delphi product as such. But most
questions on Delphi have nothing to do with Pascal at all.

Bye, see you in comp.lang.pascal.misc,

Willem

W    i    l    l    e    m        v    a    n        S    c    h    a    i    k
Gintic - Singapore                                     gwil...@ntuvax.ntu.ac.sg

Re:Allocating memory in Delphi for use in DOS INTerrupt

In article <3rk70b$...@seralph9.essex.ac.uk>,
Martin R J <mar...@essex.ac.uk> wrote:
(A Delhphi question)

Sorry about the note, but this is the time to get the new Pascal
newsgroups on track. For the time being (until we have dedicated
Delphi newsgroups) please use comp.lang.pascal.misc for Dephi

   All the best, Timo

Professor Timo Salmi    Co-moderator of comp.archives.msdos.announce
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi archives (ftp:// http://) 193.166.120.5
t...@uwasa.fi http://uwasa.fi/~ts BBS 961-3170972; FIN-65101,  Finland

WILLEM VAN SCHAIK (INTERNET: GWIL...@NTUVAX.NTU.AC.SG) (gwil...@alpha.ntu.ac.sg) wrote:
: In article <3rk70b$...@seralph9.essex.ac.uk>, mar...@essex.ac.uk (Martin R J) writes:
: > I wish to allocate a chunk of memory for a device which is accessed
: > via INT 2F.  I have tried to allocate the memory via Windows but I get
: > the feeling that Windows memory layout is substantialy diferent from DOS.
: > I have looked at GlobalDosMemAlloc (or what-ever), but it returns a
: > selector and a 'paragraph-segment'.  What makes this different from a
: > segment in DOS?
: >
: [...]
: comp.lang.pascal.misc could be used by delphi users, while c.l.p.borland
: will be used by those for who this group is really setup, namely the old-
: fashioned TurboPascal and BorlandPascal users.

: [...]
: BTW, I can only enforce that I love the Delphi product as such. But most
: questions on Delphi have nothing to do with Pascal at all.

Don't be so cruel, please :-) IMHO this question *is* a pascal question. If the
subject line had been "Allocating memory in TPW..." (article unchanged), this
newsgroup would have been perfect, wouldn't it?

Regards
Matthias
--

Matthias Romppel                   email: mrom...@gwdg.de