Access Interbase Database through Internet

Hello Everybody,

I have a problem, I am using Interbase 6.0 in my Delphi application, and we
have to fix up problems at our clients database at their place, but the
problem is we cannot go over and over to the clients place nor they can
upload the database as it may be around 20 mb or even more.... So what i was
thinking is If I can access this Database from my clients place through
Internet, say like we connect to database like
Server:Drive:\Path\Database.GDB, so exactly the same way like if we can give
the IPAddress, and connect to database, so I wanted to know that is it
possible, if yes then how it can be connected and what my client has to do
for  providing me this connection, else if not, then any suggestions, how
can i browse their database and fix up things from here.

Thanks,

Regards,

Anil Jagtap.

Re:Access Interbase Database through Internet

1. Change SYSDBA password.
2. Open port 3050 at client's firewall.
3. Make DB server' machine's ip accesible from the internet.

I already did from my office's machine to my home's machine.
At office we have an MS Proxy Server connected to Internet via cable modem.
At my home I have ISDN line.
The only problem I got that if the ISDN hangs and redial again the computer
gets another IP address (I havent fixed address).

"Anil Jagtap" <aniljagtap2...@hotmail.com> escribi en el mensaje

> Hello Everybody,

> I have a problem, I am using Interbase 6.0 in my Delphi application, and
we
> have to fix up problems at our clients database at their place, but the
> problem is we cannot go over and over to the clients place nor they can
> upload the database as it may be around 20 mb or even more.... So what i
was
> thinking is If I can access this Database from my clients place through
> Internet, say like we connect to database like
> Server:Drive:\Path\Database.GDB, so exactly the same way like if we can
give
> the IPAddress, and connect to database, so I wanted to know that is it
> possible, if yes then how it can be connected and what my client has to do
> for  providing me this connection, else if not, then any suggestions, how
> can i browse their database and fix up things from here.

> Thanks,

> Regards,

> Anil Jagtap.

Re:Access Interbase Database through Internet

If you back up the db and then zip the backup, you could email it.
That will drop your 20mb db down to just a couple if that.

"Anil Jagtap" <aniljagtap2...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello Everybody,

> I have a problem, I am using Interbase 6.0 in my Delphi application, and
we
> have to fix up problems at our clients database at their place, but the
> problem is we cannot go over and over to the clients place nor they can
> upload the database as it may be around 20 mb or even more.... So what i
was
> thinking is If I can access this Database from my clients place through
> Internet, say like we connect to database like
> Server:Drive:\Path\Database.GDB, so exactly the same way like if we can
give
> the IPAddress, and connect to database, so I wanted to know that is it
> possible, if yes then how it can be connected and what my client has to do
> for  providing me this connection, else if not, then any suggestions, how
> can i browse their database and fix up things from here.

> Thanks,

> Regards,

> Anil Jagtap.

Re:Access Interbase Database through Internet

Tony Caduto offered this gem...

> If you back up the db and then zip the backup, you could email it.
> That will drop your 20mb db down to just a couple if that.

Lots of systems won't let you send/receive more than 2MB - you should
think about using a filesplitter utility if that's the case - do a
google!

Don't you just love it the way, in IT, any noun can be verbed?

Paul...

--

plinehan__AT__yahoo__dot__com

Re:Access Interbase Database through Internet

In article <MPG.185c21ecf6f52a99989...@newsgroups.borland.com>,
p...@not.a.chance.ie says...
> Don't you just love it the way, in IT, any noun can be verbed?

        "Verbing nouns weirds language." -Calvin

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] Vertex Systems Corp. Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://delphi.weblogs.com

Other Threads