Sharing Violations on Shared dBase Files

I am running a network application that uses dBase IV files on a networked
drive (via BDE 5.0 with Delphi 4 C/S service release 2).

As traffic on these files increased, I started experiencing 'sharing
violations' which would not allow write access to these locked files.

My questions are, does BDE not handle multi-user dBase tables in its default
configuration (or at all)?

If not, do I have to alter the file attributes of these dBase files (i.e.
read/write, deny no one)?

My research into the BDE help files led me to the 'DBiOpenTable', which
seems to open a table with 'read/write, allow sharing' access by default.

Any assistance would be appreciated,

Jon Gabiou