Questions about packing tables.

Hi, to begin with Im using a paradox table on a small network (4 stations)

I'm not sure if I should pack it or not. If I pack it I will free up some
space and increase performance (I think) but can I alter the table after
packing it??
(or is it just used to throw out the garbage)
Do I have to pack the table regularly??
Is it more stable to pack tables??
For the love of god, WHY do you pack tables??????????????

I dont know much about how to maintain tables, so I would appreciate some
hints.

thanx in advance
Kristjan

Re:Questions about packing tables.

Packing tables is done to release free space in the table. When a record is
added to a table space is allocated for that record by increasing the
tablesize. When a record is deleted this space is not released
automatically. Thus you see a table grow if you add 1000 records, but it
doesn't shrink if the 1000 records are deleted.
However, the BDE reuses the space in the table, so the table won't grow if
you add 1000 records again. Therefore,  in most situations you don't need to
bother.
It doesn't affect stability or performance in any sort of serious way. The
table will behave the same after the packing.
Packing Paradox tables is not supported directly through TTables, but it can
be done through the BDE API.

Hope this answers your question
Riemer

Kristjn Halldrsson wrote in message <6ojpfj$...@thorium.islandia.is>...
>Hi, to begin with Im using a paradox table on a small network (4 stations)

>I'm not sure if I should pack it or not. If I pack it I will free up some
>space and increase performance (I think) but can I alter the table after
>packing it??
>(or is it just used to throw out the garbage)
>Do I have to pack the table regularly??
>Is it more stable to pack tables??
>For the love of god, WHY do you pack tables??????????????

>I dont know much about how to maintain tables, so I would appreciate some
>hints.

>thanx in advance
>Kristjan

Other Threads